Comedy and offense

Chris B

1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

Have I understood correctly that the issue is it's a council managed venue and the council don't want to take the booking, much as any venue owner can do, and he'd be fine if he booked somewhere privately owned for the gig who were happy with taking the booking?

Yeah, I said this when I posted the story and repeated it again and again, which is unlike me. 

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah, I said this when I posted the story and repeated it again and again, which is unlike me. 

Did you say anything about the second part, which was more my question after qualifying my understanding In the section you quoted, which I try to do because I'm a bit thick?

Edited by Tommy!

1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

Did you say anything about the second part, which was more my question after qualifying my understanding In the section you quoted, which I try to do because I'm a bit thick?

Yeah, I said this when I posted the story and repeated it again and again, which is unlike me. 

But yeah, I think it speaks volumes that a canny promoter hasn’t already stepped in, booked another venue to reap the rewards. Maybe the rewards aren’t there to be reaped as any similar sized venues cost more to book. 

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah, I said this when I posted the story

You detailed the volume of independently owned venue's and ratio of such venues to council owned ones in you opening post?

I must be thicker than I thought because I've re read it and I'm unfortunately still missing it.

"You can’t even tell racist, homophobic, misogynistic jokes in a publicly funded building anymore without the looney left cancelling someone most people thought was already dead. And no, The Mash Report getting cancelled on a publicly funded tv channel isn’t the same free speech issue because I hated that brown foreign looking fella."

Edited by Tommy!

• 3 months later...
  • Paid Members

This write-up of a Ricky Gervais interview by Simon Hattenstone is a brilliant piece of work, and funnier than anything Gervais has ever done by some distance.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/dec/18/ricky-gervais-on-offence-anger-and-infuriating-hollywood

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

This write-up of a Ricky Gervais interview by Simon Hattenstone is a brilliant piece of work, and funnier than anything Gervais has ever done by some distance.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/dec/18/ricky-gervais-on-offence-anger-and-infuriating-hollywood

“That’s a big lesson I’ve learned. Working harder at something makes you better at it.” Gervais is a master of stating the obvious as if it’s a pearl of wisdom.

That article is hilarious. 

• Paid Members

Top notch reading that. 

I enjoy the Smartless podcast as I like all 3 hosts: Jason Bateman, Will Arnett and Sean Hayes. However it sometimes pisses me off as they are part of the anti-woke dimwit brigade and often bring it up with their guests in the usual "you couldn't say that anymore" shite. Recently they said that you couldn't do Arrested Development these days because it would offend people which is fucking idiotic because Arrested isn't remotely offensive to anyone. But there was a moment when they had Jerry Seinfeld on and asked him about "wokeness" ruining comedy and he replied, clearly annoyed, that it's all bullshit - public opinions and viewpoints have always been constantly evolving and changing and that truly good comedy will never be affected by people being offended, only badly written comedy is affected. The hosts went quiet and quickly changed the subject.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Recently they said that you couldn't do Arrested Development these days because it would offend people which is fucking idiotic because Arrested isn't remotely offensive

Off the top of my head when Maebe gives Lindsey a t-shirt that says 'shemale' probably wouldn't get written today. But that's a good thing because it's a lazy joke. And it's hardly a vital part of the show so it proves nothing of their point.

It’s bollocks really, look at CYE, it’s evolved with the times. Larry still does the same old shtick but it takes on a different context. Clearly most old comedians are going to be disgruntled because the two sides of the extreme, the permanently offended and people who just want to voice their bigoted  opinions have never been more vocal or had bigger platforms to voice their opinions but comedians have a ton of room in the middle of that spectrum with a whole new breed of idiots to be the butt of their jokes. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Off the top of my head when Maebe gives Lindsey a t-shirt that says 'shemale' probably wouldn't get written today. But that's a good thing because it's a lazy joke. And it's hardly a vital part of the show so it proves nothing of their point.

The whole "Mentally Retarded Female" thing left a really bad taste, and would be unlikely to fly now.