Wrestlers you like, but had no idea why.

Nick James

Mark Henry, pre-salmon jacket / Hall of Pain. There was something weirdly hypnotic about watching him headbutt someone and the sweat fly everywhere. Plus that Elimination Chamber match where his door got broken and he stood like a statue, waiting to be told what to do. 

Tatanka, to this day I cannot explain my obsession with him. 

I'll also join the Corbin love-in. I can't wait for his world title run. He takes delight in irritating the hell out of the Internet, and the Internet always bites!. 

• Paid Members

I raised this out in another thread recently, but Steve "Mongo" McMichael was always a favourite of mine in late 90's WCW.

I know little and care less about American Football but I just loved how he stuck out like a sore thumb, couldn't speak very well and was really clumsy in the ring, even in those mostly pre-internet times when I had no real access to the opinion of others. In essence, he was shit.

I suspect in hindsight, due to my total lack of interest in workrate and how crisp wrestlers are in the ring, the fact he was so different to everyone else was pretty refreshing and a bit of a laugh.

Either that or his kick ass theme music.

I was always really happy to see Billy Gunn in the ring.  He had  some terrible gimmicks over the years and never got to the top of the pile, but I liked him.

That battle royale in the first AEW show, he was the best bit.  He’s fucking huge compared to their roster, still bumps really well.  He was ace in Tough Enough too, I could have watched him train wrestlers all day.

• Paid Members

Albert. Just always found him a big likeable goof. It's a shame the Tensai run sucked, but he was always a guy I was glad to see. I remember back in the T&A days, there was a point where he took the mic off Lilian Garcia in a promo with "Lilian, please - you're pretty, but I'm beautiful' - I also liked the big-boot/stare into distance bit too.

While I always found him solid enough, I can't point to too many great Albert matches or promos, but I like the self-effacing humour and that he's not afraid to be silly.

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, PSF said:

Earthquake. Most of his matches were by the number, in hindsight his signature move was shit, he looked about 72 in his hayday, but he's always someone whose matches i seek out. 

Earthquake pre natural disasters run with TugJob was class, it was that tag team run that spoiled him in my opinion. 

23 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Earthquake pre natural disasters run with TugJob was class, it was that tag team run that spoiled him in my opinion. 

I loved the natural disasters too. Massive lads that looked impossible to beat. What's not to love

• Paid Members

I loved Steve Blackman for no real reason I can pin down. He had a decent look, was alright in the ring, crap promo and was basically never involved in a decent storyline that wasn't comedy. Despite that, I'd always wonder when they were going to strap a rocket to him. 

7 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

0dbcadbbf38c5428-600x338.jpg

As HG said above, there's plenty of reasons to like a guy like Stevie Richards. There's no reason to like Mideon, though. But I always did. He just gave me an odd, comforting "This is what bottom of the table baddies look and feel like" vibe when the Attitude Era was at its height when I was a fan in school. Rubbish wrestler, no semblance of a decent character arc, no memorable storylines or promos. Mideon's not good. But I like him anyway. 

In fact, I liked Southern Justice and Phineas Godwinn, too, so I'm seemingly a Dennis Knight guy. 

What are your thoughts on Naked Mideon?

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, RedRooster said:

Michael Tarver. He was the shits in ring but he had a certain charisma about him and I liked that, I guess? Whatever the case I thought he was ace while he was in the Nexus.

I loved Michael Tarver. He looked like a genuinely dangerous bastard, like he could go off script at any minute and just start battering folk.

I was a massive fan of 'Reflection of Perfection' era Mark Jindrak and wanted him to get a main event push.