Wrestlers you like, but had no idea why.

Nick James

• Paid Members

After watching some YouTube videos on the ‘Ruthless Aggression’ era, it got me thinking that around that time, there were quite a few lower level talent that I liked and enjoyed, but I could not tell you why I liked them. I always preferred the IC / European Title level guys rather than the top level.

Im sure everyone has that one or two men or women that they enjoyed watching, but you knew they weren’t good enough for the top.

I’ll start with a few of mine...

Stevie / Steven Richards

whether it be in the BWO, as the head of Right to Censor or as Dr Stevie in TNA, I always enjoyed watching Stevie perform. His gravelly tones and goofy mannerisms just made me like him. He wasn’t a terrible in ring performer, but was never going to get to the top.

Here’s a match he had with The Undertaker.

Rosey / Super Hero In Training

From 3 Minute Warning, to his team with The Hurricane, I enjoyed watching Rosie and he was always my preferred member of any team he was in. He had good comedic timing in his Super Hero team, but looked like too much of a nice guy to truly look imposing on 3 Minute Warning. 

I’m sure there are loads more, but just thought it would be a good discussion while we’re all going stir crazy.

• Awards Moderator

There are plenty of reasons why I liked Stevie Richards. He was the ultimate cowardly heel in RTC, never getting involved in a fight unless he had the advantage, making it ultra satisfying when someone got their hands on him - like when Undertaker hit one of the greatest ever Last Rides on him.

His run with Victoria on Stevie Night Heat made that show more watchable than Raw in ‘03 - neither of them could get time on Raw and he especially made the most of the TV time he got.

Then his last little run in ECW was great. I think he’d just come back from major throat surgery(?) and had garnered a nice little bit of babyface sympathy. It was a short run but he had probably the best matches of his WWE career during those few months.

So yeah, there’s three reasons to like Stevie.

For a wrestler I liked with no discernible reason at all, I present NXT rookie Jacob Novak. Absolutely nothing standout to him at all, in any regard. And yet I was all about the guy in that series. Can’t explain it.

Gregg The Hammer Valentine.

Started watching WWF during his feud with Rugged Ronnie Garvin. 

Nothing aside from being a double hard bastard who was evil  stood out. 

But I'm still taken by him today. Loved  Subsequently his Rhythm and Blues and his Rumble Stuff. Need to visit lots of his earlier stuff i think. 

4 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Then his last little run in ECW was great. I think he’d just come back from major throat surgery(?) and had garnered a nice little bit of babyface sympathy. It was a short run but he had probably the best matches of his WWE career during those few months.

Didn't he also sell the hell out of CM Punk's Anaconda Vice? I'm sure I've seen a gif of Punk's early ECW matches with a guy I swear was Richards skidding around on the mat trying to escape, like Homer doing the whoop-whoop-whoop floor dance.

Thinking about it, did Richards ever suck? Sure, he spend his Heyman ECW run as a superkicking punchbag, but apart from an awkward teaming with Kronik in the Invasion (which still gave us his awesome reaction to knowing he was getting murdered by Taker), everything he did was good to great.

Most guys you liked at the time were guys who were really good, you just weren't smart enough yet to know why.

• Paid Members

The 2 that come to mind that I have a hard time defending my enjoyment of are Rene Dupree and Test.

Test had a fucking epic theme song and Dupree had the wonderfully knobbish French Tickler but that is all I can come up with .

Two that spring to mind are Sean O'Haire and this was pre 2003 I always thought he had an awesome look but not sure why he stood out to me above the rest of the powerplant dingbats in the Invasion. 

The other was Michael Shane who I thought was a huge AJ Styles lever star in the making in early ROH and TNA then they seemed to realise he wasn't and he had to become Matt Bentley and that was the end of mine and any hanger on's interest in him 

0dbcadbbf38c5428-600x338.jpg

As HG said above, there's plenty of reasons to like a guy like Stevie Richards. There's no reason to like Mideon, though. But I always did. He just gave me an odd, comforting "This is what bottom of the table baddies look and feel like" vibe when the Attitude Era was at its height when I was a fan in school. Rubbish wrestler, no semblance of a decent character arc, no memorable storylines or promos. Mideon's not good. But I like him anyway. 

In fact, I liked Southern Justice and Phineas Godwinn, too, so I'm seemingly a Dennis Knight guy. 

• Paid Members

Luther Reigns. He was crap and short lived, and most remembered now for having previously eaten peas, but I liked him. I think it was just down to looking a bit like an archetypal generic henchmen you'd see in the background of low-rent TV shows. 

I'll join the Stevie love in too, but as others have said that's completely justified. 

Stevie Richards is my favourite wrestler of all time. I think because when I saw him in about 97 he just seemed to be having a really nice time. He’s got a certain joy to him.

Ive always preferred undercarders though. Almost any of them really. I’d say I’ve got more enjoyment over the years watching Koko B Ware than I have The Undertaker.

Maybe just because you see them less?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Gay as FOOK said:

0dbcadbbf38c5428-600x338.jpg

As HG said above, there's plenty of reasons to like a guy like Stevie Richards. There's no reason to like Mideon, though. But I always did. He just gave me an odd, comforting "This is what bottom of the table baddies look and feel like" vibe when the Attitude Era was at its height when I was a fan in school. Rubbish wrestler, no semblance of a decent character arc, no memorable storylines or promos. Mideon's not good. But I like him anyway. 

In fact, I liked Southern Justice and Phineas Godwinn, too, so I'm seemingly a Dennis Knight guy. 

He is oddly likeable which is pretty much the reason he always had a job. Everyone knew he was shit but all the wrestlers and crew really liked him as a person so he always had a job waiting for him.