Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

52 minutes ago, Bicurious Dad said:

Our turn (maybe), 5yr old daughter now has to isolate for 2 weeks due to a confirmed case in her year group at school. Her 9yr old sister continues to go to school as normal, and my wife and I aren't required to isolate just advised to ensure only 1 person goes out when we need to - which we did anyway for the most part. Living in a small town in a region with historically lower numbers this is the first time since day one that it's felt 'close', even when there was 1 other case a month ago in another year group it still felt relatively safe.

Time will tell, but if she has caught it then I'm going to assume we all will. Can't really isolate a 5yr old from others in the home, despite my suggestion we stick a bed in the attic....

Id double check the advice they gave, my daughter picked it up from school (also in Scotland) and we were all indoors for 14 days, including other kids.

EDIT: Just noticed yours doesnt actually have it. 

Youd be amazed by the way - my kids dodged it so many times and eventually when one of them did catch it, there was not one symptom in our house among any of us. She was asymptomatic. Couldnt tell you if we caught it or not, was never anything wrong with any of us.

Edited by PBWFan

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Just been reading about a wedding that took place in Maine where 176 of the guests contracted COVID - seven of which ended up dying.

Americans really are thick, aren’t they?

It's worse than that, even. There were 55 people at the wedding, but that resulted in 176 people contracting the illness through contact with those 55. The seven who died weren't even in attendance at the wedding, so it's a depressing example of how "just this once, it won't affect me" isn't an excuse.

• Paid Members

What are people's expectations over Christmas?

I'm trying to figure out whether or not I can see my family in Ireland. A couple of months ago, while the numbers were lower, I booked a rental car, ferry spot and a cabin to drive and sail to and from Ireland in as covid-safe a way as possible (while the cost isn't the point, it's a trip that usually costs me around £160 return by rail and sail, and this time has come out at about £900 - that's to give a sense of doing it in a way that involves minimal proximity to anyone).

My family and I are pretty close, and it's been tough on all of us being separated all year - my mum, in particular, has had a tough year with her own mother going into a care home with advanced dementia. It's been a weird year to go from 'it might be Christmas until we can see each other' to 'at least we can plan for Christmas' to 'will we be able to do Christmas?'.  

I'm keeping an eye on the numbers, and am hoping for them to come down fairly drastically over the next couple of weeks. Talking with my family, we've gone from an assumption to a hope, but we have now acknowledged that it might not happen. I don't see the numbers reducing that much, as it's not exactly been a real lockdown this time around in the UK.

For context, my partner and I are in a busy area of London, but we only really go out for food shopping, walking and take-out, both work from home, and we've been careful with social distancing/masks since March - we've done very little indoors, even when things were open. My family live in the midlands of Ireland (my sister built her house next to my parents, and my parents have a granny flat for my mum's parents next door in a sort of family compound), so if I go there, I'd drive, sail, drive, then stay there the entire time before coming back the same way. I believe there's likely to be testing insisted on both before and after traveling, which I'm fine with.

However, at the same time, I'm worried that there's just no responsible way to go from London to rural Ireland over the next couple of months. In my head, I've gone from 90% certainty over going to about 70%. If the numbers haven't improved much in a couple of weeks, that'll probably be about 50% - at which point, I'll start thinking about alternative plans.

Don't get me wrong. I'm lucky that this, personally, is my biggest issue. I know people who have lost family members. At the same time, I'm frustrated that this has all been so poorly handled that I might go the entire year without seeing any of my family in person.

• Paid Members

I've changed my Christmas plans three times already, and am basically refusing to commit to anything different. I'm trying to keep an eye on what's happening in the UK, and what the regulations are here in Jersey.

The original plan was that my partner and I would spend Christmas at my parents' place in East Yorkshire, and now that's a complete write-off. Even if I could physically get there, with the rest of the family involved, there'd be too many of us. Back-up plan was spending it with my partner in Lewisham, but that doesn't look like a viable option either.

At the moment, my partner is planning to fly to Jersey, and spend Christmas and New Year here. Assuming the rules at both ends stay as they are, that would involve both of us self-isolating over Christmas for 10-12 days. Better together than apart, but far from ideal - the alternative would be that if I go over there, I'd have to isolate for 12 days on the way back on top of the time off work to go there in the first place. It's reasonably likely that Jersey will face another lockdown before then, so it may be that even getting here won't be possible.

I'm expecting that, at both ends, there will be a temporary relaxation of a lot of restrictions as no one's going to want to be the government that cancelled Christmas. But, even if everything's scaled right back, I'm not going to do anything more than spend the period with my girlfriend either here or there, and keep to ourselves.

As someone who genuinely detests half his family, I'm not massively arsed about Christmas as it really is *cliche alert* just another day.

However, I do appreciate that most people have a nice, loving, normal family and I am in the minority so I think it's sad that people may not be able to spend it with their loved ones.

I know it sounds a bit ridiculous, but could you not just do something similar at a slightly later date?

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I know it sounds a bit ridiculous, but could you not just do something similar at a slightly later date?

Not ridiculous at all. That's one of the options. As much as anything, it's just that Christmas will mark a full year since I've seen any of them, which we've never done.

Just now, Chris B said:

Not ridiculous at all. That's one of the options. As much as anything, it's just that Christmas will mark a full year since I've seen any of them, which we've never done.

Yeah, that sucks. Hopefully something will work out for you all.

9 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

big turkey dinner, and it will be fucking massive.

"And these Turkeys are scared"

• Moderators
23 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Just been reading about a wedding that took place in Maine where 176 of the guests contracted COVID - seven of which ended up dying.

Not quite, the wedding was about 50 people, then half of them got it and spread it when they returned home leading to the 170+ cases.

Americans really are thick, aren’t they?

Some of the 328 million of them are yes.

• Paid Members

I'm not going to feel comfortable seeing families at Christmas no matter what restrictions are lifted beforehand. It just won't be the same meeting up with the worry that we could be contributing to the spread of the virus. I don't know what we're going to do yet but I would actually prefer the government to go for the tough love approach and insist on pretty restrictive measures staying in place as that would remove any awkwardness and guilt of disappointing family by not traveling to see them this year.

Just now, Arch Stanton said:

I'm not going to feel comfortable seeing families at Christmas no matter what restrictions are lifted beforehand. It just won't be the same meeting up with the worry that we could be contributing to the spread of the virus. I don't know what we're going to do yet but I would actually prefer the government to go for the tough love approach and insist on pretty restrictive measures staying in place as that would remove any awkwardness and guilt of disappointing family by not traveling to see them this year.

Absolutely no chance Boris "Probably has too much coke and champagne for breakfast and ties a cracker around his bollocks at 10am and spends the rest of the day trying to get one of his cousins to pull it' Johnson will cancel Christmas. No way.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I think any tough love approach will be completely disregarded my a significant proportion of the population TBH. I think a detailed and specific set of guidance limiting contact might be more effective.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I'm hoping Nicola will do me a solid and ban me from going home this Christmas.  I work/live in the worst hit area of the country atm and only just last night did my mum ask me, again, what my plans were for Christmas.  I know she's not been following the rules properly and has been visiting my elderly gran, although she assures me she wears a mask and keeps her distance but I know how stubborn and difficult my gran can be.  We lost one of our colleagues a few months ago, he was in his early 50s and carrying a bit of weight but not massive by any means, he was the first person I knew personally that contracted it and the poor guy was dead within a month.  Although I had already been doing my best to follow the rules it was a proper wake up call for me.  I had to self-isolate last month because I was pinged by test and trace, my anxiety went through the roof that first week. Fuck taking any chances with this thing.

Edited by stumobir

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Absolutely no chance Boris "Probably has too much coke and champagne for breakfast and ties a cracker around his bollocks at 10am and spends the rest of the day trying to get one of his cousins to pull it' Johnson will cancel Christmas. No way.

Christmas will be cancelled, unless you go out in a field to shoot your own turkey. Then you can have Christmas with 30 of your nearest and dearest.