Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

4 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Not sure you do eitherĀ and using that slur in this day and age? Really?Ā Ā 

I'm not sure what slur you mean. Did Thalidomide not cripple its victims?

And regarding vigour of trials, we're living in an age in which technology has hugely improved the vigour with which we can test things while also reducing the time needed (therefore increasing speed because time is half of the formula needed to calculate speed), so I'm also not sure where your problem with that is.

7 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Or you just think for you, personally, you don't see yourself as high risk for covid so the benefits of the vaccine don't outweigh the risks?

That's it in a nutshell for me, to be honest.Ā 

I'm early 40's, healthy, and not obese. I'll take the vaccine if it's still needed when I either get old, unhealthy, or fat.Ā 

Until then, anyone else who wants it can batter in. I'll just continue as is, thanks. What's the survival rate for this thing nowadays anyway? It's in the high 90's percent-wise, isn't it?

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

I'm not sure what slur you mean. Did Thalidomide not cripple its victims?

Referring to people as 'cripples' is outdated by a few decades. While some people with disabilities might choose to use the term, it's generally a pretty shitty term to for most able-bodied people to use.

Part of it is about how you define people - referring to these people as cripples (and, increasingly, victims) can makeĀ it sound like that's all you see them as. Ā 

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, David said:

That's it in a nutshell for me, to be honest.Ā 

I'm early 40's, healthy, and not obese. I'll take the vaccine if it's still needed when I either get old, unhealthy, or fat.Ā 

Until then, anyone else who wants it can batter in. I'll just continue as is, thanks. What's the survival rate for this thing nowadays anyway? It's in the high 90's percent-wise, isn't it?

But is this not a case of if you take it then you have not got to worry you may pass it on to someone at risk that the 90% vaccine does not work on?Ā 

Even if i was convinced id survive it i couldn't live with myself if i passed it to someone i know whos vaccine didnt work and they died.Ā 

Edited by quote the raven

34 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

But is this not a case of if you take it then you have not got to worry you may pass it on to someone at risk that the 90% vaccine does not work on?Ā 

Even if i was convinced id survive it i couldn't live with myself if i passed it to someone i know whos vaccine didnt work and they died.Ā 

I'll take the risk.Ā 

EDIT: Also, what if I get the vaccine but I'm also part of that 90% group that it's not effective on? And I then pass the virusĀ on to someone else who isn't part of the 90% group?

Double-Edit: Besides, you'd never know it was you who was to blame. Maybe the person who had the vaccine but it wasn't effective on actually caught the virus itself from someone else who had the vaccineĀ but also wasn't in the 90% group? Or if it was from you but you didn't know you had the virus to begin with as you weren't showing symptoms?

Unless you don't get the vaccine, get sick, but don't take any precautions and choose to fraternise with all and sundry, in which case you would have somewhat of an inkling that you were to blame, and could therefore be justified in your guilt.

Edited by David

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, David said:

I'll take the risk.Ā 

EDIT: Also, what if I get the vaccine but I'm also part of that 90% group that it's not effective on? And I then pass the virusĀ on to someone else who isn't part of the 90% group?

Double-Edit: Besides, you'd never know it was you who was to blame. Maybe the person who had the vaccine but it wasn't effective on actually caught the virus itself from someone else who had the vaccineĀ but also wasn't in the 90% group? Or if it was from you but you didn't know you had the virus to begin with as you weren't showing symptoms?

Unless you don't get the vaccine, get sick, but don't take any precautions and choose to fraternise with all and sundry, in which case you would have somewhat of an inkling that you were to blame, and could therefore be justified in your guilt.

So what you're saying is that you don't understand the concept of herd immunity? Or that you're incredibly selfish?*

Ā 

* except with Xmas pressies, obvs.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

1 minute ago, Chris B said:

This is why some of us take the attitude of 'Shit, what if I caused this to happen' rather than shrugging and going 'eh, prove it was me'.

I'd rather see those who actually need the vaccine getting it. I doubt we're going to have enough of it vaccinate the entire country. If it comes to the point down the line where everyone who needs the vaccine (the elderly, the sick, the vulnerable, the frontline workers etc) has gotten it, and there's still people in those demographics dying, and having someone like me take it could make all the difference, then I'll have another think.

As is, let's get it to the people who are at actual risk of dying from this thing.

Just now, Chest Rockwell said:

Yeah that's not what you said David.Ā 

As I said, I consider myself in the demographic where the benefits of the vaccine don't outweigh the risks. In fact, I'd probably be more at risk from any potential side-effects from the vaccine than I would be the actual virus itself going by the mortality rate in my age group and health bracket.

Get the vaccine for those at serious risk of dying from this thing.Ā 

As for the "what if" situation with someone who's not in the 90% group of the vaccine being effective coming into contact with me at the exact time I have the actual virus, then no, I'm not going to worry about that. The chances are ridiculously small.

Ā 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, King Coconut said:

And regarding vigour of trials, we're living in an age in which technology has hugely improved the vigour with which we can test things while also reducing the time needed (therefore increasing speed because time is half of the formula needed to calculate speed), so I'm also not sure where your problem with that is.

I was channel hopping a few weeks ago when I stopped on NHK World that had a programme on how Artificial Intelligence is helping towards the fight against COVID-19, in helping track its outbreaks (for example, producing the global tracking map from John Hopkins University), helping prevent its spread as well as its input towards developing vaccines against the virus. A hugely entertaining & informative episode that made no promises and no hype, but gave me the feeling that we have never seen so much technology being thrown at a single "thing" in the world's life time before. It is natural to feel at least slightly anxious about something so "new", but I came away from it with the perception that the chances of all potential vaccines catastrophically failing over a wide population range as being close to zero as practically possible, and for even just one of them to have dire consequences (it would ruin a pharma company for certain if they fucked this one right up) to be so slight that there would be as good as odds as Joey Essex winning the mens' 400 metres hurdles at the 2024 Olympics. We're living in a much more advanced world that I reckon most of us realise.

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, David said:

I'll take the risk.Ā 

So if i dont get the vaccine and end up getting covid, and say killing my 78 year mum who mostly stays in anyway i should console myself with the fact that " cant prove it was me, she probably got it from someone at the doctors"

Everyone i know that has had it hasnt been that ill thank god. Indeed one just suffered a headache however had they not worked in a hospital they wouldn't have been tested and been mixing with the extended family.Ā 

What do you think the vaccine will do to you?Ā 

Ā 

Just now, quote the raven said:

So if i dont get the vaccine and end up getting covid, and say killing my 78 year mum who mostly stays in anyway i should console myself with the fact that " cant prove it was me, she probably got it from someone at the doctors

If that's your line of thinking then you can certainly look into getting it. My mother passed away years ago, so I don't have that to worry about, and I rarely spend any time in the company of the elderly. But, the truth is that you cannot account for every eventuality.

2 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

What do you think the vaccine will do to you?

I honestly have no idea, and I don't for a second believe there's any intentional evil intent or nonsense like that,Ā but I just don't subscribe to the idea of a healthy, reasonably fit person in their 40's getting any vaccine or medicationĀ they don't really need. I'm reluctant to take a paracetamol tablet at the best of times, and have spent most of my life on no medication. I've not even been to the doctors in over ten years. i've moved twice since I last registered with a GP.

I'm perfectly fine. If others wish to request the vaccine then fair play to them, it's just not for me. I don't need it. I certainly wouldn't tell others not to get the vaccine, and I would hope that they won't tell me to take it.

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Referring to people as 'cripples' is outdated by a few decades. While some people with disabilities might choose to use the term, it's generally a pretty shitty term to for most able-bodied people to use.

Part of it is about how you define people - referring to these people as cripples (and, increasingly, victims) can makeĀ it sound like that's all you see them as. Ā 

Then please accept my apologies. I've been living in Germany for over 20 years and my English might lean towards the Alf Garnett but the point I'm making remains valid.

As a point of interest, what did Thalidomide do to those babies? Did it disadvantage them?