The All-New Electronic Music Discussion & Recommendation Thread

David

I had a quick look over the past five pages or so, and tried to use the shit search function but couldn't find a previous thread like this, so here we go. If anyone wants to be "that guy" and post a link to a thread already going that I've blatantly missed like a total loser then by all means.

So, we've got a metal thread that seems fairly popular, and a hip-hop one as well, so why not electronic music in all its forms?

I'm one of those lucky people who can pop on my headphones and listen to tunes during work, and I'm basically looking for some recommendations. I'm more into the chill, concentration, lyric-less type tunes when I'm working, and I've pretty much listened through all of the playlists offered on Apple Music that fit the bill of study, mindfulness, come down, relaxing and so on.

Anyone got anything that I can pop on my phone and give a listen to?

Oh, and feel free to kick start the convo in any way you see fit. Chuck in what you're listening to on your commute at the moment and so on.

• Paid Members

I've got pretty much every John Carpenter soundtrack. His two recent albums 'Lost Themes' are absolutely gorgeous. The It Follows soundtrack works nicely for fans of similar too.

There's a really nice hour-long mix of some of Carpenter's themes here:

https://www.residentadvisor.net/podcast-episode.aspx?id=230

• Paid Members

There's a whole host of stuff I love - Mike Oldfield is one of my favourite artists of all time, but I also loved the work of a lot of his contemporaries, like Jean-Michel Jarre. And the "goofy clubber" in me has been enjoying a whole load of Nu-Disco over the past few years, not to mention that I've been through my trance, tech house, techno, prog-house and electro phases.

A few years ago, I discovered that John Foxx (early lead singer of Ultravox) had released his own "New New Wave" project, John Foxx & The Maths, which was tremendous. That led me to revisit all the really early Ultravox albums pre-Midge Ure (who is also amazing), and there really are some gems on there.

For the moment, this'll do nicely - one of my favourites throughout my childhood.

Jan Hammer - Crockett's Theme

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

Alan Braxe is so good. I think there's only Intro on Spotify. Well, Music Sounds Better With You by Stardust in on there as well which is technically kind of one of his. 

Daft Punk goes without saying, they are the absolute Kings of my musical world. If you like them, I'd heartily recommend Justice, and the other guys on Ed Banger recordings.

There's an artist/band called Data that turned up on my Discover Weekly on Spotify that's worth checking out as well. 

• Paid Members

The aforementioned John Foxx & The Maths - for a long time, he refused to allow any of his stuff on YouTube except for promo cuts, but it seems he's finally given way. Evergreen is a superb track:

4 hours ago, David said:

Anyone got anything that I can pop on my phone and give a listen to?

AO Tondra - Quintet

The Cinematic Orchestra - Every Day

Conduct - Oma (shameless plug to one of my mates)

Floating Points - Crush

Forest Swords - Engraving

Guy Andrews - Our Spaces

Lockah - It Gets More Cloudy...

Mount Kimble - Crooks & Lovers

Rival Consoles - Night Melody

S U R V I V E - RR7349

also, my favourite album of all time, Burial - Untrue. I genuinely regard it as one of the greatest collections of music I’ve ever come across. 

weird, dark electronica is totally my wheelhouse. Spending my college days listing to pretty much solely Aphex Twin, Squarepusher and Venetian Snares is the cause of it all. 

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Good shouts by @jazzygeofferzthere. I listen to either Tron Legacy or Reconfigured at least once a week:

Discovery is usually my go-to album, or Alive 2007 when I want to reminisce about having seen them on that tour. They're all great. 

4 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Music Has The Right To Children-Boards Of Canada. A top 10 album of all time for me.

First time I listened to it, I was 15ish, and so stoned, it made me paranoid that a little girl was trying to break into my flat and eat me. Glorious.

Sublime album. I think it's the best example of that Warp sound, Selected Ambient Works being a close second. They done it in one album, really. The rest of their stuff is good, but all just slightly different takes on this first home run. 

Anyway, for concentration/chilled I like Future Sound of London's 'Environments' series. Environments 5 is probably the best:

If that's too hippy dippy and you want something a bit more repetitive and brooding, though, check out this brilliant German stuff. It's that proper clinical, minimalist techno sound they do so well:

And for choice cut of the week, I've been listening to this in work constantly:

I find a lot of lo-fi and synthwave to be a bit of an overdone cop-out with a lot of YouTube guys, but this is a proper tune. Dripping in a weird atmosphere that's bound to remind you of some weird place your brain's been. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

Good shouts by @jazzygeofferzthere. I listen to either Tron Legacy or Reconfigured at least once a week:

This not getting nominated, and the winner of best original score ended up being The Social Network, was when I knew the Oscars were shit. So so good

Edited by Hannibal Scorch