The All-New Electronic Music Discussion & Recommendation Thread

David

19 minutes ago, Sphinx said:

I've got my eyes on the Launchpad X which is an 8x8 grid but I realise it wouldn't be as effective as a sampler as the pads are much smaller. I like the idea of being able to create beats (for garage/house, simpler than jungle).

Check out Ned Rush on YouTube. He’s got some good tutorials for making jungle on ableton. 

2 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Check out Ned Rush on YouTube. He’s got some good tutorials for making jungle on ableton. 

He sounds a good laugh and is very much the kind of thing that'll keep me entertained and help me learn. Cheers for the heads up!

4 minutes ago, Sphinx said:

He sounds a good laugh and is very much the kind of thing that'll keep me entertained and help me learn. Cheers for the heads up!

An Akai MPD might be a better MIDI controller than a Launchpad if you're wanted to replicate the kind of stuff Spinscott does.

16 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

An Akai MPD might be a better MIDI controller than a Launchpad if you're wanted to replicate the kind of stuff Spinscott does.

On one hand I want to muck about with jungle stuff, but initially my thinking was having a controller to program some beats mainly for garage/house tracks. I was thinking that the Launchpad X might work as a step sequencer too. I'm kind of after flexibility I guess as I'm still very new to this and wanting to play around.

It's likely I get the Launchpad X and the MPD a bit later down the line as I do like the idea of that. I've seen the MPD 218 for £85. Do you know if this model will do for a beginner? I like the idea of a screen on the controller to chop up samples so there's less time between computer and model but it seems the price jumps up quite a lot for this.

Edited by Sphinx

8 minutes ago, Sphinx said:

On one hand I want to muck about with jungle stuff, but initially my thinking was having a controller to program some beats mainly for garage/house tracks. I was thinking that the Launchpad X might work as a step sequencer too. I'm kind of after flexibility I guess as I'm still very new to this and wanting to play around.

It's likely I get the Launchpad X and the MPD a bit later down the line as I do like the idea of that. I've seen the MPD 215 for £85. Do you know if this model will do for a beginner? I like the idea of a screen on the controller to chop up samples so there's less time between computer and model but it seems the price jumps up quite a lot for this.

The pads on the Launchpad are perfectly big enough for programming beats on. I think they're the same kind of size as the ones on the Push which were fine when I had one.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking at music production videos more and getting myself excited. I don't need or want to start off by getting a load of gear but, if down the line I want to expand, how does this work?

For example, a MIDI keyboard would be plugged straight into my laptop. I assume the Launchpad X would also connect via USB as are a lot of devices I've seen (such as a Maschine Mikro and/or Roland TR8). Would I just get a USB hub to take in more connections? I don't know if there's a way to take the toll off of the laptop powering all of these devices.

Also, if I wanted to use analog synths for example, or marry everything up via MIDI, do I need a mixer that takes all of this in? Or would I need that anyway for all of these signals regardless?

So yeah, saying I don't want too much gear and throwing all that out there. It's more so I know what you can achieve and how I can potentially add things to the setup over months and years if I really get the bug for it.

A USB hub is a good thing to use but make sure you get a powered one. They’re a lot better. 

A mixer can make things a hell of a lot easier. You could always get an audio interface with enough inputs to accommodate all your gear so you can record everything at the same time into their own channel. You can also just have the stereo output of the mixer go into a two channel audio interface. It’ll only record the sum of all your gear into one stereo track so you’d either have to make do with that or just record everything separately one at a time but it’ll be a lot cheaper. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Synthmetal band Dance with the Dead are selling their entire discography for $5 on bandcamp. They are pretty great.

DWTD Bandcamp

This is currently my most played song. @David I know you liked the Yaegi album, and this is in a very similar vein. 

Park Hye Jin-Can You

And then an old classic that I heard for the first time in aaaaaaages last night. Absolute fucking rager. Used to rinse this at house parties.

Dillinja-Tudor Rose

• 5 months later...