The All-New Electronic Music Discussion & Recommendation Thread

David

Popping some drum & bass in here as well. On the lighter end of the spectrum would be Whiney, Hugh Hardie, Fred V & Grafix, Etherwood, but for me the most interesting D&B producer for the past few years is Keeno and the Futurist album is an absolute genre classic. 

This is simply a beautiful piece of music.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Download yourself a 80gb Italo Disco torrent and buckle up. 

Kitsune Mason as well. 

31 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Popping some drum & bass in here as well. On the lighter end of the spectrum would be Whiney, Hugh Hardie, Fred V & Grafix, Etherwood, but for me the most interesting D&B producer for the past few years is Keeno and the Futurist album is an absolute genre classic. 

There’s some brilliant drum & bass around at the minute. Especially the more left field, experimental stuff. Blu Mar Ten label are great for that kind of thing. Blu Mar Ten themselves, kimyan law, conduct

Seems to be a bit of a resurgence of old school jungle over the past couple of years too with guy like Pete Canon cracking out the Amiga and Akai s950. Which I’m not complaining about. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

@Scott Malbranque Jaw swinging from the off. That's the kind of stuff I imagine you brush your teeth to. She's good! 

She's an incredible talent, Gaffer. Not just bumming her up because she's a friend, but my word, she's about to go into the stratosphere within the techno realm. Or is that out of the techno realm?...
Told her she should be scoring movies. Her tunes sound like they belong in Cyberpunk flicks.
She's playing District 8 and the after-party til 7am on the 1st Feb, so I'd say my poor jaw will have its own orbit by morning.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Alan Braxe is so good. I think there's only Intro on Spotify. Well, Music Sounds Better With You by Stardust in on there as well which is technically kind of one of his. 

Lumberjack is on there too, a collaboration with Kris Menace, and it's fucking ace.

@Onyx2 Tron Legacy Reconfigured is outstanding. The Pretty Lights remix of Solar Sailor and M83's version of End Of Line are my favourites. 

Electronic music, christ where do I begin? I could have thread upon thread for all the different kinds of electronic music I'd recommend. Let's go for some albums first. I'll avoid the more obvious ones (Daft Punk, Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Justice etc) because A) you should damn well already listen to them and B) others have probably already recommended them. Here goes:

Chilled Electronic music

Air- Moon Safari. A classic. Unmistakably French and cool as fuck. Stand out tracks: All I Need, Kelly Watch The Stars, Sexy Boy

M83- Hurry Up, We're Dreaming. Beautiful atmospheric electronic music which incorporates it's fair share of strings too. Stand out tracks: Midnight City (obvs), Wait, Echoes Of Mine. 

SynthWave and Retro style electronic music/pop

Kavinsky- Outrun. What a fucking album. Nightcall (which features the awesome vocals of CSS' Lovefoxxx) thrust Kavinsky to the forefront of the scene after being used for the brilliant intro to the movie Drive, but the rest of the album is just as good. Stand out tracks: Nightcall, Suburbia, Blizzard.

Chromeo- Fancy Footwork. Any of their stuff is worth a listen but this album is their best for me, Clive. Really got me into synthpop 12 years or so ago. Stand out tracks: Bonafide Loving, Fancy Footwork, Tenderoni. Needy Girl, from their previous album, might be their best track. 

Electric Youth- Innerworld. Utterly beautiful synthwave and another group put on the map by their association with the movie Drive. As a 'thank you' to the movie for their success, they clearly pay homage to the film in the track The Best Thing. Stand out tracks: The Best Thing, Runaway, A Real Hero.

Classics

Crystal Method- Vegas. One of my favourite 90s albums, includes tracks you've heard in so many places over the years- usually in Hollywood movies that want to use something with a techno-ey sound (or FIFA 98). Stand out tracks: Busy Child, Keep Hope Alive, Trip Like I Do. 

Leftfield- Leftism. One of the greats of the 90s. Pioneers of the ambient and techno hybrid sound that would influence others for years to come. Their next album, Rhythm & Stealth, is also ace- especially Afrika Shox. Stand out tracks: Open Up, Original, Melt.

Hidden Gems/lesser known albums

Digitalism- Idealism. Part of the 'nu-rave' movement in the mid to late 2000s and one of the four main contenders as the 'new Daft Punk' at the time (along with Justice, MSTRKRFT and Simian Mobile Disco). This album has an alternative edge to it and has some post-punk influences. Stand out tracks: Pogo, Zdarlight, Digitalism In Cairo.

Eric Prydz presents Pryda. Forgetting about Call On Me, Eric Prydz is the GREATEST electronic music producer of the past 15 years. He's incapable of making a bad track and is much more talented than his Swedish House Mafia counterparts. This album is a triple album I think- first disc was new material, second disc was earlier stuff and third disc was stuff in between. All killer, no filler. Stand out tracks: Waves, Mirage, Pjanoo.

LEF- Ferry Corsten. A trance legend in his own right, like many trance producers in the mid 2000s Ferry decided to go a bit more electro and tech-ey. The result was this cracking album, which also has a couple of tracks more on his familiar trance style. Stand out tracks: LEF, Galaxia, Junk (which is essentially a remix of his trance anthem Punk).

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TRACKS

Alter Ego- Rocker 

Kris Menace & Lifelike- Discopolis

Kris Menace- Waiting For You (Oliver remix)

Trevor Something- Fade Away

MSTRKRFT- Work On You

NINA- Beyond Memory

Busy P- Genie

DJ Mehdi- Signatune

Rival Consoles- Recovery

Hyper- Spoiler (from Cyberpunk trailer)

La Roux- In For The Kill (Skream's let's get ravey remix)

CSS- Let's Make Love and Listen To Death From Above

Underworld- Rez

Bjork- Hyperballad

Aphex Twin- Windowlicker

I've stuck with stuff that doesn't easily fit into a massively well known and defined genre, so haven't even gone into Trance, House, DnB, Dubstep and whatnot. I haven't mentioned any Italo disco, new romantic/new wave, electro hip hop or any other pre-90s stuff either. I'll stop now because I could spend the next few days posting recommendations. I've spent the past 26 years of my life being obsessed with electronic music of all forms.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Onyx2 said:

My favourite album of all time. Somehow able to match my mood no matter what. Listened to it twice this week already. 

I still can't get over just how good the first few tracks are. How many albums can boast the first five tracks as all being shit hot? Chicane's Behind The Sun is another that comes to mind. 

I once saw Chromeo at a random festival just outside Norwich called Tales Of The Jackalope and hungover as fuck spotted them filling up their car at the petrol station and gave a meek “It’s Chromeeee” out the window for them to respond with a booming “OH OH OH OH OH” and they started breaking on the forecourt.

Wicked.

Great shout on Digitalism @PunkStep again, saw them at Wireless on the Daft Punk day in 07 and that album reminds me of weekends getting battered to that and the Phones Remix of Bloc Party-Banquet at After Skool (RIP) in Holborn. Halcyon K Swiss and Lyle & Scott wearing days indeed.

• Paid Members

@PunkStep Rez/Cowgirl live is the absolute bomb. 

Also, have you heard the Mr Oizo remix of Toop Toop by Cassius?

Edited by jazzygeofferz