The All-New Electronic Music Discussion & Recommendation Thread

David

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I kinda wish Richard made more dumb music, his Pacman joke single is actually really good.

That's absolutely ace!

Had a good whack off that playlist walking through town there. This is my favourite new find from it:

Probably an unpopular opinion - and I'll preface this by saying calling any genre of music 'intelligent' is obviously a bit naff - but subgenre classifications are a really handy way of identifying and sharing what you like, and most musicians are being mildly annoying when they complain about it. To quote Andrew O'Neill in his great History of Heavy Metal book, Lars mate your band has the word 'metal' in it.

Goth's pretty notorious for it too. It's full of baritone, mac coat misery merchants who'll go off on one if you drop the 'G' word. I kind of get it. But metal's the worst. Metal bands who try and say they're not metal can do one.  

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, The Gaffer said:

Probably an unpopular opinion - and I'll preface this by saying calling any genre of music 'intelligent' is obviously a bit naff - but subgenre classifications are a really handy way of identifying and sharing what you like,

The other reason I dislike IDM apart from the use of the word intelligent is because it's an extension of the simplification that is lumping all dance music in to 'EDM' which does the opposite of what you say, because it's broad and shit.

4 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

The other reason I dislike IDM apart from the use of the word intelligent is because it's an extension of the simplification that is lumping all dance music in to 'EDM' which does the opposite of what you say, because it's broad and shit.

Agreed, isn't EDM more of a stateside thing though that came much later? 

I think over there it is a bit of a lump in but I've always perceived it as that millon-a-night-residency, anaemic, "Wait for the drop" style club music for beautiful people. Tunes that always have vocal samples telling me watch out for the bass, but there's fuck all bass. 

So I definitely do take a certain classification from EDM, and it's one to avoid! 

2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Yet it's a retrospective blanket label for people who don't care to understand the distinction of the subgenres. I like the way you've phrased it..

In the 90s, techno was the blanket label. Now it's EDM. Like how to my mum all video game consoles are Nintendos.

3 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

In the 90s, techno was the blanket label. Now it's EDM. Like how to my mum all video game consoles are Nintendos.

People using hardcore or rave to mean multiple genres and lumping happy fucking hardcore with breakbeat.. still gets to me.

Been digging into a lot of old trip-hop recently. We have a hip-hop thread - I know - but I figured it sort of blends in here more (I might be wrong as I've never been a massive hip hop head so trip is something that diverges into electronic for me).

The Bristol stuff, Herbaliser, Nightmares on Wax. That old sort of "Music to smoke soapbar and watch the drone of post-midnight TV to" stuff that I still love and was a sort of prequel to that very early 2000s dark drum and bass aesthetic for me - which I equally love - where everything at the time felt like it needed to be edgy and subversive. Think the eternally dark game world in GTA III, the creepy production of early Derren Brown live specials, the old Big Brother title sequences. I'm proper spitballing here I know, just chucking things in that formed the look, sound and feel of the time to me. PS2 system menu aesthetic, basically. 

I'd forgotten how amazing DJ Krush is, and what an insane level of output he had. 

There's loads I could drop in, but this track in particular probably has my all timer thick squelchy bass. 

Edited by The Gaffer
Fixing YT link.

• Paid Members
On 3/1/2024 at 2:17 PM, gmoney said:

No genre has a worse name than "Math Rock"

Nerdcore? 

7 hours ago, The Gaffer said:

Herbaliser

Fun fact: Ollie from The Herbalisers brother taught me breakdancing as a teenager! (That's for you @PunkStep)

My favourite tune of theirs. 

And that's reminded me of DJ Vadim, who is probably more hip hop, but sod it, have his best song as well!

• 1 month later...

Bit of hedge-hop. I love finding channels like this. It's a simple thing, I know, but the fact that people just go out and do this with their spare time purely for the heck of it makes me joyful.