The All-New Electronic Music Discussion & Recommendation Thread

David

2 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

One of the greatest songs of all time. 

If you want to study how to build and layer a song, then study that. Just when you think its peaked, it adds something else and takes it to another level.

Liam's drums really were untouchable.

Liam's one of the greatest producers of all time. Those sample breakdowns of what he's done on YouTube are insane. You watch them and think "It'd be easier if you just programmed the drum machines yourself, because you obviously already know the sound you want" but therein lies the genius. He took the awkward route of turning something that could be considered by some to be stealing into the most insane jigsaw puzzle of turning old records into this fucked up metal/punk/industrial/rave sound from the future. He's definitely an anti celebrity compared to the stature his talent warrants. I remember reading years ago Madonna was begging for him as a producer for one of her turn of the century albums. He doesn't seem arsed though. 

Dude can DJ like a motherfucker too:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I don't know whether this is the right place to stick this, but I managed to get onto my old hard drive from my PC, found a mix I did on Mixxx years and years ago without headphones, and stuck it on my Soundcloud. It's a touch rough, and all over the place, and there's more than a couple of Soulwax remixes on it, but here it is.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Digitalism have a new EP out called Back To Haus. It manages to both sound brand new and 30 years old at the same time. 

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Fred Again is brilliant. I love his enthusiasm for life. The record he made with Brian Eno this year is absolutely sublime.

I'll check it out. I'm only surprised that I liked it not because he's not talented (he clearly is) but because it's not really my usual cup of tea.

Edited by SuperBacon

• 2 months later...

Listening to this for the first time in ages in work:

The 90s were littered with weird, evocative ambient techno/house albums like but this this really is still something special. It's so wonky and picturesque. The entire 2 minute opening sequence captures that dawn chorus drugs-wearing-off reflective mood beautifully. Weary of using drug analogies with music nowadays - it's old hat, I know - but very much warranted here. 

Awesome! Never knew that existed. What a mood. 

I remember showing the video for We Have Explosive to my friend who dabbled in making weird animations years ago and he sat forward with his elbows on his knees and just kept shouting "FUCK OFF!" at the TV until it finished, with a big grin on his face.