The All-New Electronic Music Discussion & Recommendation Thread

David

On 4/10/2022 at 10:49 AM, SuperBacon said:

Love these videos. Very simple and very effective way of breaking samples down. I know a lot of the purists hate them, along with who sampled.com, but that's pure gate-keepery to me.

Forgot it was a Schooly D sample!

In a similar vein, this is a video I keep coming back to. I love how he still implements the old school gear into his music making still to this day.

Owning and having owned some of the gear he uses, it's mental to think how guys like him did it back then with purely hardware synths and samplers, sequenced on an Amiga and all recorded onto tape. Using that gear to create music is such a long winded process, but it really does sound different compared to stuff made purely on a computer - regardless of what people say.

I love how he skips over some of the samples that he never cleared and haven't been discovered... yet!

Edited by wordsfromlee

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

There was a who's who of French Touch out in force at Cannes yesterday for the Premier of the new Quentin Depieux (aka Mr Oizo) movie. Pedro Winter, DJ Falcon, Gaspard Augé, Thomas Bangalter. A couple of them did DJ sets at the after party. 

• Paid Members

From what I heard it was Gaspard, Oizo and Busy P doing sets. 

I saw a report that Thomas has done the score to a new show on HBO Max called Irma Vep. It starts next month. 

https://theplaylist.net/alicia-vikander-irma-vep-a24-thomas-bangalter-20220513/

Has anybody seen the gold double vinyl reissue of Cross coming out soon for the 15th anniversary? I think it's part of a membership to some kind of swanky vinyl subscription service. Still looks nifty. Can't believe that album is 15 years old. It's 9 or 10 years since I saw them at the Academy. 

https://www.vinylmeplease.com/products/justice-cross?fbclid=IwAR1o6gbUsXqXyW1Vd4AHE3HLdmnjqhJ8n1fYqZgvYF7ZEGEO-pAKg1NApLs

I've been listening to Dance music for 20 years but I know very little about Balearic music. It was way before my clubbing time tbh. I was chatting to a friend of a friend the other day in the pub about it. He is an older DJ in his late 50's.. He is a notorious piss taker though. Its hard to take what he says seriously. He was telling me his favourite Balearic track was by Chris Rea. I completely thought this guy is taking the piss out of me. 

Turns out he was right. What a fucking dance floor monster. I really need to deep dive into Balearic.

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, PunkStep said:

Not electronic music, but now you've mentioned Chris Rea and Balaeric in the same sentence I've thought of this:

Wasn't there a house track that sampled or borrowed the guitar riff from this? I want to say it was by ATB? I was kind of right. 

Anyone old enough to go clubbing around 92-93 ever get in to the Darkside/Darkcore stuff? I found it in the past few years due to loving a bit of Breakbeat Hardcore and Jungle but this tiny shortlived disgusting genre slid in between them, I know a single person who's also really in to it but she's not old enough to have experienced it at the time either.

• 1 month later...

Going back to '92 once again, it's amazing how fresh this still feels. There was a recent big fuck off collection of Acen songs released with all the classic versions and some truly amazing more modern remixes.

Edited by Merzbow

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

Very much a Merzbow release this but the new Diamanda Galas album is some creepy shit like you'd expect from her early days, truly back on form as the queen of experimental lunacy.

https://diamandagalas.bandcamp.com/album/broken-gargoyles

Ooh lovely stuff! Didn’t know about this, cheers!

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Bicep have FINALLY released Water, which was the standout tune for me from this year's Glastonbury. Honestly, these fellas can do no wrong. 

Their episode of Tape Notes podcast is really interesting and well worth a listen if you're at all interested in how they make their tunes.