All Things Horror Thread

TheSurgeon

Over recent years, the zombie genre has been oversaturated with the likes of TV shows The Walking Dead, Fear The Walking Dead, I-Zombie etc...

George A Romero is credited with creating the modern zombie film - what are you thoughts on the original 'Dead' trilogy?

Night Of The Living Dead (1968)
Dawn Of The Dead (1978)
Day Of The Dead (1985)

2 minutes ago, David said:

I know it's not exactly horror, but I'm really enjoying the new Creepshow series on Shudder. It's been a lot of fun so far.

I have watched the first 4 episodes, really good. I think my favourite story so far is 'The Man In The Suitcase'

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, TheSurgeon said:

Over recent years, the zombie genre has been oversaturated with the likes of TV shows The Walking Dead, Fear The Walking Dead, I-Zombie etc...

George A Romero is credited with creating the modern zombie film - what are you thoughts on the original 'Dead' trilogy?

Night Of The Living Dead (1968)
Dawn Of The Dead (1978)
Day Of The Dead (1985)

They're all great in their own way, but I honestly see Night of the Living Dead as one of the most important movies of the 60s - in terms of redefining what horror, low-budget filmmaking and even horror-as-social-commentary could be. The documentary 'American Nightmare' is interesting with regards to putting NOTLD into cultural context.

Talking of documentaries, the Horror Noire one on Shudder is phenomenal (and talks about NOTLD). All about black representation in horror films, going from jungle/voodoo/slaves through to Get Out. It led to me finally watching the Blacula films, which I now adore - they'd always been written off by critics, but they were enormously ahead of their time. 

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

They're all great in their own way, but I honestly see Night of the Living Dead as one of the most important movies of the 60s - in terms of redefining what horror, low-budget filmmaking and even horror-as-social-commentary could be. The documentary 'American Nightmare' is interesting with regards to putting NOTLD into cultural context.

Whilst I appreciate it's importance, and how good it is. I can't help but prefer Tom Savini's 1990 remake.

Just sifting through a few plays, as I've been asked to direct something for next Autumn. I've been looking for something spooky, and found a nice one called, 'The Exorcism', by Don Taylor. If you're into that sort of thing, there's a good BBC radio play on YT, if you fancy an audio-spook. 

Last night I watched 

Contamination.. A Italian scifi horror film of a alien cyclops creature that uses human agents to place eggs all over Earth. The eggs release a gelatinous goo that causes people to explode when they come into physical contact with the substance its badly dubbed but a lot of fun. Bought it in the Arrow Video sale for a fiver. 

It was on the Video Nastie list in the 80s.. For its exploding body's in slow motion.. Its pretty tame compared to today's standards. 

Worth a watch though! 

Edited by King of Hamptons

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, King of Hamptons said:

Last night I watched 

Contamination.. A Italian scifi horror film of a alien cyclops creature that uses human agents to place eggs all over Earth. The eggs release a gelatinous goo that causes people to explode when they come into physical contact with the substance its badly dubbed but a lot of fun. Bought it in the Arrow Video sale for a fiver. 

It was on the Video Nastie list in the 80s.. For its exploding body's in slow motion.. Its pretty tame compared to today's standards. 

Worth a watch though! 

I have a soft spot for this one, as mad as it is. Like a lot of Italian horror of the period, the human characters are almost uniformly unlikeable, and dripping with misogyny. 

It was released in some markets as Alien: Contamination, and I'm pretty sure at one point in some places as Alien 2, as was the style of Italian knock-off cash-ins at the time. It was basically Italian filmmakers trying to make what they guessed the sequel to Alien might look like (Aliens arrive on Earth), but without either the budget or the license.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

It was released in some markets as Alien: Contamination, and I'm pretty sure at one point in some places as Alien 2, as was the style of Italian knock-off cash-ins at the time. It was basically Italian filmmakers trying to make what they guessed the sequel to Alien might look like (Aliens arrive on Earth), but without either the budget or the license.

It was marketed as that but Alien 2 was a different film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_2:_On_Earth

By all accounts the two films are quite similar though.