All Things Horror Thread

TheSurgeon

• Paid Members
Just now, TheSurgeon said:

took a chance and bought it from HMV last night, it's the uncut version :)
Thanks @DEF

I was utterly perplexed by the run time thing because I'd read loads about the release saying it was the unrated version.  I've had the synapse version since release and couldn't fathom why they would release the R rated version. Really chuffed it turned out ok. Really fun slasher. 

Watched Madhouse the other day and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's really run of the mill right up until the absolutely tremendous third act when it turns into a riot.

2 minutes ago, DEF said:

I was utterly perplexed by the run time thing because I'd read loads about the release saying it was the unrated version.  I've had the synapse version since release and couldn't fathom why they would release the R rated version. Really chuffed it turned out ok. Really fun slasher. 

Watched Madhouse the other day and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's really run of the mill right up until the absolutely tremendous third act when it turns into a riot.

Never seen Madhouse.

The past week I bought -
91V8qN6MzsL._SL1500_.jpg
51L5RLeQ3vL.jpg

61OBSo-YgML._SL1024_.jpg

917PeEEZV8L._SL1500_.jpg

• Paid Members

Can't stand Shocker but the other three are tremendous. Even if The Mutilator doesn't float your boat there is a excellent feature length documentary on the blu that is worth the money alone. The Prowler is some of Savini's best work IMO.

EdIt - I should probably get the Arrow Candyman. I've got the old Blu and Arrow has the uncut version and it's bound to look stunning.

Edited by DEF

13 minutes ago, DEF said:

Can't stand Shocker but the other three are tremendous. Even if The Mutilator doesn't float your boat there is a excellent feature length documentary on the blu that is worth the money alone. The Prowler is some of Savini's best work IMO.

EdIt - I should probably get the Arrow Candyman. I've got the old Blu and Arrow has the uncut version and it's bound to look stunning.

I got Candyman off the Arrow website sale, for £25, it's around £50 on ebay. Not sure if the sale is still on.
Read mixed reviews on The Mutilator, some say it's great, some say it has the worst killer ever. Not watched it yet.
Love The Prowler, like you say, Savini was at his best here. I still think the Kevin Bacon death scene in F13 was not that good, the concept was good, but the neck looks too fake. Maybe it's down to HD tv's etc.
Haven't see Shocker since it was released, but the Mrs loves Ted Raimi for some reason, so I bought it for her. Will give it another watch.

• Paid Members

Yeah that's the limited edition version of Candyman. Good score getting it from Arrow because I'm pretty sure it's oop now. Not sure what the difference is to the standard release is.

I like Mutilator but it's a bit mean spirited. It has one absolutely insane kill that it's fairly notorious for. 

If you haven't got it already I'd recommend Blood Rage. It's similar budget to Mutilator but a little more light hearted and daft. More in line with Intruder.

Edit - the F13 death definitely looks ropey but it never really bothered me. Probably because it's such a fun and effective scene.

Edited by DEF

I went to see the new Black Christmas last night and seemingly enjoyed it more than most.

The rated R thing only effected it in that it's badly edited at times because of it - one scene in particular. But I thought the cast were good, there was some decent deaths and it felt very relevant.

There's part of the story which I'm not sure worked (it's a spoiler if I mention it) but I think on repeat viewings it might improve. It's a fun horror movie despite the topic, rather than a great one. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Twatters said:

I went to see the new Black Christmas last night and seemingly enjoyed it more than most.

The rated R thing only effected it in that it's badly edited at times because of it - one scene in particular. But I thought the cast were good, there was some decent deaths and it felt very relevant.

There's part of the story which I'm not sure worked (it's a spoiler if I mention it) but I think on repeat viewings it might improve. It's a fun horror movie despite the topic, rather than a great one. 

By rated R thing do you mean it's PG13? Which is my understanding.

Edit - I don't know much about it. That's what I read ages ago.

To my surprise I've read some positive reviews as well as yours today. Was gonna see it anyway but now I'm at least not dreading it.

Edited by DEF

23 minutes ago, DEF said:

By rated R thing do you mean it's PG13? Which is my understanding.

Edit - I don't know much about it. That's what I read ages ago.

To my surprise I've read some positive reviews as well as yours today. Was gonna see it anyway but now I'm at least not dreading it.

Yeah, so they basically came out recently and said they are editing it to be PG13 because they believe the message should be seen by teenage girls (or something to that effect).  It's a 15 in the UK anyway and I would take a guess that even the unedited version would have been 15 here too. 

• Paid Members

I just saw Black Christmas too and thought it was absolutely horrendous, whatever its certficate was supposed to be. Appropriating 'woke' subject matter for a shitty slasher film but forgetting to be good at either.

There was one good bit:-

That was the murder that I'm sure was inspired by this scene from The Exorcist III.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH8ynu0jRvY 

Otherwise, no.

45 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I just saw Black Christmas too and thought it was absolutely horrendous, whatever its certficate was supposed to be. Appropriating 'woke' subject matter for a shitty slasher film but forgetting to be good at either.

There was one good bit:-

Reveal hidden contents

That was the murder that I'm sure was inspired by this scene from The Exorcist III.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH8ynu0jRvY 

Otherwise, no.

I've  never seen the movie above so didn't know the influence there but that scene in Black Christmas was definitely it's best moment, I loved it. 

Edited by Twatters
Spoiler

13 hours ago, TheSurgeon said:

I got Candyman off the Arrow website sale, for £25, it's around £50 on ebay. Not sure if the sale is still on.
Read mixed reviews on The Mutilator, some say it's great, some say it has the worst killer ever. Not watched it yet.
Love The Prowler, like you say, Savini was at his best here. I still think the Kevin Bacon death scene in F13 was not that good, the concept was good, but the neck looks too fake. Maybe it's down to HD tv's etc.
Haven't see Shocker since it was released, but the Mrs loves Ted Raimi for some reason, so I bought it for her. Will give it another watch.

The scene itself was a botch that was left in the film, in the brilliant documentary Crystal Lake Memories they reveal that the mechanism that was to pump the blood out, after the neck piece had been pierced, had got damaged so Savini had to blow the pipe feeding the fake blood which is why you hear a slight gurgling sound in the final scene

On 12/14/2019 at 12:22 AM, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

The scene itself was a botch that was left in the film, in the brilliant documentary Crystal Lake Memories they reveal that the mechanism that was to pump the blood out, after the neck piece had been pierced, had got damaged so Savini had to blow the pipe feeding the fake blood which is why you hear a slight gurgling sound in the final scene

Yeah, Crystal Lake Memories is a great documentary on the series. 
I think it was Taso who had to blow the blood through, but I'm talking about the actual neck appliance, looked too smooth and slightly the wrong colour.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Crystal Lake Memories is also on Youtube for anyone interested.

Is it the full version though? Because I noticed its running time is about an hour shorter than listed on IMDb. If I can find the full version I might watch it this week.

Also, semi-regular reminder that Jason Takes Manhattan is the best Friday the 13th.