All Things Horror Thread

TheSurgeon

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, DEF said:

Strange double post edit - also try The Orphanage.

Edit 2 - Triangle

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Maybe smart is the wrong word. I like the aforementioned films, and as Scorch recommended, A Quiet Place, I've seen that and enjoyed it. I suppose I mean psychological thriller/horrors rather than slash/gore titles.

I'm well aware that there are plenty of smart slasher/jump scare/gore horrors, they're just not my cup of tea that's all.

It sounds like what you're looking for are horror films that you can enjoy as good films as much as good horror films. 

If that's the case, you might enjoy some of these, with a mix of modern and classic:

It Follows. A couple of moments of gore, but it doesn't really lean into it too much. There's plenty going on, and it plays with a cool idea.

The VVitch. Old-fashioned folk horror that some hated because it's slow-moving, but I loved it. It's as much about a family falling apart as anything else. 

The Exorcist. Nowhere near as shocking as it's made out to be, but unsettling throughout. One of the best films of the 70s.

Don't Look Now. As much a beautiful film about grief as it is a horror film. Every time I watch it, I notice something new. 

Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I'm really not kidding. It's relentless and exhausting, but it's not the gorefest people expect either - it's utterly disorienting, and it's a much smarter film than people expect. It's an ordeal, but if you enjoy the others, it's worth a shot. Surprisingly little happens on-camera.

11 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I only see about 300 titles on Amazon Prime for Shudder and many of those are on Netflix and even YouTube. If that's their full selection then that's shite.

Shudder has some really cool exclusives. I recommend the podcast series Video Palace and the interview/filmmaking series The Core

Edited by Twatters
Mistake

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Watched a few horror films recently whilst stuck in - 

Rob Zombie's Halloween and Halloween 2
Watched the first one when it came out, but never got around to watching the sequel. Don't really understand the hate for them both.

Halloween 4
Watched this back in the 80's and forgot how good a sequel it was, little Danielle Harris is great.

The Mutilator, Slaughter High and Edge Of The Axe
Standard 80's slashers, if you're a fan of the genre, then they are perfectly fine. Some good kills, particularly The Mutilator. The music in Slaughter High is by Harry Manfredini, and it's leftover stuff from Friday the 13th.

American Mary
Watched this last night for the first time. Starring Katherine Isobelle (Ginger Snaps), as a wannabe surgeon that falls in the 'body modification' scene. Really enjoyed this one, it had some really good practical effects.