All Things Horror Thread

TheSurgeon

• Paid Members

Humanoids From The Deep - (Netflix) THIS IS AWESOME! 1980 Roger Corman mash up of the Creature from the Black Lagoon and 80's slasher conventions. I can't stress how much fun I had with this. WARNING not scary in the slightest.

• Paid Members
Just now, Devon Malcolm said:

I really need to rewatch that ASAP, it's so much fun.

It really is. I've had my eye on it for at least 10 years and never got round to it. Feel like a right berk now.

56 minutes ago, DEF said:

Humanoids From The Deep - (Netflix) THIS IS AWESOME! 1980 Roger Corman mash up of the Creature from the Black Lagoon and 80's slasher conventions. I can't stress how much fun I had with this. WARNING not scary in the slightest.

I think that's on Shudder, is that half man/half fish, it looked like a 70's Dr Who villain.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, TheSurgeon said:

I think that's on Shudder, is that half man/half fish, it looked like a 70's Dr Who villain.

Unfortunately not on Shudder UK. But yeah think a bunch of Dr Who villains but with nudity and gore.

16 hours ago, DEF said:

Unfortunately not on Shudder UK. But yeah think a bunch of 'Dr Who villains but with nudity and gore'.

yeah, it's on the US version, after that last bit, i'm in 😄

More first time watches over the weekend - 

Behind The Mask - The Rise Of Leslie Vernon - 2006 meta horror, focusing of documentary film makers following the next cult slasher. Set in a world where Freddy, Jason and Michael are all real people.
Demons - 1985 classic - the usual dodgy acting but nice gore, and it looked great. Also has a good soundtrack, with Return Of The Living Dead vibes.
Pieces - 1982 slasher, supposed to be set in Boston, but actually filmed in Spain. More dodgy acting/dubbing. But some great kills, and a WTF moment with a 'Kung Fu Professor'

can now add - 
MV5BZjExNjA2NTktZWViYS00NTQyLWExM2UtZjZk
Demons 2 - basically a rehash of the first film, but not nearly as good.

Edited by TheSurgeon
another film added

• 2 weeks later...

Found a streaming copy of In Search Of Darkness last night and watched it this afternoon in one sitting, the documentary is incredible, the 4 hour run time flies over before you know it and you get a good focus on 3-5 films for each year framed by a wonderful backdrop of dozens upon dozens of movie posters and several side segments. Highly recommended for horror buffs, particularly fans of 80's horror

MV5BYzU4MDlkNGYtYTcxMi00MjBiLWI3MGEtMWI0

Motel Hell - 1980 horror featuring Beulah Ballbricker from Porky's, and a small role for John Ratzenbeger. No real gore here, more like an extended episode of The Twilight Zone, but enjoyable enough.

• Paid Members

Watched a few things for the first time this week,

Mayhem on shudder. Was alright. Quite fun but nothing special.

The Lords of Salem also shudder. Much better than I was expecting. As Halloween 2 was a mess and 31 was unwatchable trash. It's much more restrained by Rob Zombie standards (so still too heavy handed). If House of a 1000 Corpses is him doing Texas Chainsaw Massacre then this is taking a punt at high brow horror like The Shinning or Rosemary's Baby or whatever. Its let down by the third act that never seems to kick into third gear after an hour or so of pretty good ground work.

Red Eye on Starzplay. In two minds about this. I liked the set up. The first 20 minutes before they let the cat out of the bag. Then theres 40 minutes of progressively less interesting back and for tedium before a entertaining  it of cat and mouse chase and action.

The Conjuring on Prime. Feel like an absolute twat for leaving this so long. Its absolutely tremendous. Genuinely creepy stuff that keeps escalating at really well done pace.

Dead Heat on Prime. Very silly but very entertaining mixture of 80s naff but fun special effects and daft shooty shooty action gun fights. It's in so bad it's good territory.

• Paid Members

I've decided I'm going to start working through the old "Video Nasties" again, which will be the first time I've watched the vast majority of them since the 80's when I had all but 5 on xth generation VHS copies. Most have been passed almost virtually uncut now(barring the exclusion of animal cruelty), and released by places like Arrow and Scream Factory on BR. The rest I have VHS and DVD rips. Wish me luck!

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

I've decided I'm going to start working through the old "Video Nasties" again, which will be the first time I've watched the vast majority of them since the 80's when I had all but 5 on xth generation VHS copies. Most have been passed almost virtually uncut now(barring the exclusion of animal cruelty), and released by places like Arrow and Scream Factory on BR. The rest I have VHS and DVD rips. Wish me luck!

Aye a lot are uncut these days. It's more or less just animal cruelty and sexual violence that get the snip these days.

• Paid Members
Just now, Chris B said:

The two Video Nasties: Definitive Guides are a lot of fun as well - the trailers for all the films, along with talking heads on each one. 

I've only got the first one. Love the extra disc with an hours worth of VHS idents. 

• Paid Members

I've had both the "Definitive Guides" for ages, and watch the pretty regularly. I've seen me just splaying the trailers over and over in the background while I work. Same with the "Trailer Trauma" Bluray's. I love the nostalgia that the original trailers bring back, from when I was kid and my best mates dad had an independent video store. He used to pay us 10p per tape to rewind them in the back room, and let us watch whatever we wanted while we did it(which was mostly low budget horror shit). I wish I had kept all the VHS tapes he gave me when Blockbuster bought him out now..