All Things Horror Thread

TheSurgeon

36 minutes ago, Panhead said:

I can't wait to watch it. The trailer looks great. Where did you watch it? I couldn't find it digitally and they only format I found was a region-free Blu-Ray that isn't available until March. 

I got it off a torrent site

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I watched Saint Maud. After all the hype I was quite disappointed. Well made and all that, but it wasn't scary, creepy or particularly engaging. Definitely a good film in there somewhere but it was a bit meandering. 

I was exactly the same. I think I would've enjoyed it more if I'd watched it upon release, but after having people (whose opinion I usually hold in high regard) tell me it's outstanding and seeing it finish high in a fair few year-end lists, I was quite underwhelmed. 

I watched Possessor a few weeks beforehand which didn't seem to get half as much praise, and enjoyed it a lot more, so it's probably just a case of overly high expectations. I'll definitely rewatch Saint Maud a few years down the line and see how it holds up then. 

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I watched Saint Maud. After all the hype I was quite disappointed. Well made and all that, but it wasn't scary, creepy or particularly engaging. Definitely a good film in there somewhere but it was a bit meandering. 

It's one of those films where I can entirely get that. It generally felt to me like more of a festival film than a wide-release one. But it's absolutely not the kind of film I'd usually expect to get a larger audience - it's been lovely that it has. 

Part of the downside of that is that I think expectations were unfairly raised. It's a subtle, strange film with some horrific elements, rather than an out-and-out horror film. So I think a lot of people will have been disappointed, in the same way many were with The VVitch.

That's not a negative, by the way - it's what happens when films like this reach a larger audience. There's going to be far more chance of people seeing it and finding it just doesn't work for them. That's not because they're right or wrong - just that it's more likely to be seen by more people than usual.

• Paid Members

Anyone clear on whether the Shudder Kindle app or the Shudder Amazon channel has the better content? I've seen people saying both, but not clear which I should go for. I have the Amazon channel, but I'd go for the app instead if it's better.

• Paid Members

If anyone here is a Shudder subscriber then I would strongly recommend In Search of Darkness, a documentary on 80's Horror. At just over 4 hours, it covers a lot of ground. Dozens of films are covered, some well known, some not so much. Talking heads include John Carpenter, Stuart Gordon, Joe Dante and Larry Cohen. 

Will be watching the Tom Savini documentary next. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Chris B said:

Anyone clear on whether the Shudder Kindle app or the Shudder Amazon channel has the better content? I've seen people saying both, but not clear which I should go for. I have the Amazon channel, but I'd go for the app instead if it's better.

I subscribe through Amazon as an add-on and the content is pretty impressive. Don't know about the Kindle version. 

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, Boycie said:

If anyone here is a Shudder subscriber then I would strongly recommend In Search of Darkness, a documentary on 80's Horror. At just over 4 hours, it covers a lot of ground. Dozens of films are covered, some well known, some not so much. Talking heads include John Carpenter, Stuart Gordon, Joe Dante and Larry Cohen. 

It's very long and boils down to people saying 'remember this' over and over again. I didn't hate it but it's pretty shallow.

4 hours ago, Boycie said:

I watched it over 2 nights the past few days, its amazing. So good. There's a part 2 that has been filmed too

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, DEF said:

It's very long and boils down to people saying 'remember this' over and over again. I didn't hate it but it's pretty shallow.

It's alright as a bit of nostalgia but obviously as a serious documentary it was never going to stand up. I enjoyed it though, much like the similar action film one that just popped up on Prime.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It's alright as a bit of nostalgia but obviously as a serious documentary it was never going to stand up. I enjoyed it though, much like the similar action film one that just popped up on Prime.

Yeah that's pretty much how I felt but I liked the action one much more. It was tighter and there's way less documentaries on Action than horror.

I second the Horror Noire documentary recommendation now that's a belter of a film doc.

• Paid Members

They made and released a new Wrong Turn film for some reason.

It's not really a remake nor a reboot. It's also not good in the slightest. It's too long, the kills are shit, the characters are all twats, and it's trying too hard to be modern and millennial.

A rock hard no from me.

• Paid Members

Just finished watching Wrong Turn too.  I was warned that it wasn’t a Wrong Turn movie, and they were right.  Due to this I didn’t expect the normal fun we get from these movies, so wasn’t too disappointed, but it was mediocre at best.

Shame really as I loved the Wrong Turn series.  Should have stuck with the low budget shite of the sequels.