All Things Horror Thread

TheSurgeon

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Is it the full version though? Because I noticed its running time is about an hour shorter than listed on IMDb. If I can find the full version I might watch it this week.

Looking at the comments, yes - I think it's a re-up from a previous version, but played at a slightly faster speed. According to a comment, if you watch it at .75 speed, it should be fine.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, TheSurgeon said:

Speaking of horror documentaries - has anyone seen 'Never Sleep Again', 'More Brains' or 'Leviathan'?

I've got Never Sleep Again and More Brains. Never Sleep Again is excellent, it comes close to matching Crystal Lake Memories even. More Brains is on the Second Sight Return of the Living Dead Steelbook bluray as a special feature. It's two hours but I've no idea if its a cut down version seeing as its an extra. It's  been ages but I remember it being good though.

Seems like a good time to whip out photos of my signed copies of CLM & NSA

Full disclosure the NSA photo isn't my actual copy but from the same signing.

nsa1.jpg

Crystal Lake Memories.jpg

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members

Crystal Lake Memories was very good, I have to say. Really impressed by the breadth of interviewees they got. Nothing groundbreaking, just a really good collection of anecdotes and they weren't mean about Jason Takes Manhattan (the best Friday), so I went away happy.

8 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Crystal Lake Memories was very good, I have to say. Really impressed by the breadth of interviewees they got. Nothing groundbreaking, just a really good collection of anecdotes and they weren't mean about Jason Takes Manhattan (the best Friday), so I went away happy.

I am glad someone else likes Manhattan, not watched in a while but it's always been my favourite Friday 13th

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Out of curiosity, was it the first one you saw? I can totally get it feeling like the 'most Friday-the-13th' in some ways, especially if part of you is responding to it as 'this is what FT13 is. The series is almost like Bond films/Doctor Who in that way.

I went to a Prince Charles Cinema mini-marathon of the first four films, and I was pleasantly surprised how well they worked - you can see the evolution of the films, characters and tropes, but they're so different to Manhattan. It's almost like they're different franchises. So I'm fond of Manhattan, but I don't love it. Mind you, I'm also fond of Jason X.

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members

Jason X is a perfectly respectable sequel. Manhattan is ace but I'd never rank it over 1234 or 6.

Friday the 13th is easily my favourite franchise. I couldn't tell you how many times I'ves seen them.

IMO part 2 is the perfect slasher film. It's not my favourite but it's pacing is outstanding. 

The only real stinker is Goes To Hell. But even then it's watchable. It's no Freddy's Dead.

I'd love to see part 3 in 3D. I'm apathetic to 3D for the most part but if you're going to do it I want to see harpoons and eyeballs flying into the screen, fuck Avatar depth of field horse shit.

• Paid Members

2 minutes ago, DEF said:

The only real stinker is Goes To Hell. But even then it's watchable. It's no Freddy's Dead.

I went to another marathon a while back of the first 7 Nightmare films - I was semi-dreading Freddy's Dead, as I hated it first time around, and watching it at 5am wasn't a high point. I was surprised to find it a lot better than I remembered. Part of it was probably sleep deprivation, but there's some genuinely unpleasant stuff in and around Krueger's creation, and the idea of a town in limbo worked surprisingly well. Even if it wasn't entirely well-realised, there were some interesting ideas in there.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I went to another marathon a while back of the first 7 Nightmare films - I was semi-dreading Freddy's Dead, as I hated it first time around, and watching it at 5am wasn't a high point. I was surprised to find it a lot better than I remembered. Part of it was probably sleep deprivation, but there's some genuinely unpleasant stuff in and around Krueger's creation, and the idea of a town in limbo worked surprisingly well. Even if it wasn't entirely well-realised, there were some interesting ideas in there.

I'm pretty harsh on Freddy's Dead. It's just too mean spirited and explains stuff that just doesn't need to be said. It's got X-Pac heat with me right now.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Chris B said:

Out of curiosity, was it the first one you saw? I can totally get it feeling like the 'most Friday-the-13th' in some ways, especially if part of you is responding to it as 'this is what FT13 is. The series is almost like Bond films/Doctor Who in that way.

This is a really good point, actually. Jason Takes Manhattan was the first one I saw and was actually the gateway for me getting into horror and beyond, so I guess I might be biased towards it.

About 3 years ago I watched them all in a row and it was still my favourite. Viewed in context I think its innovative murders and sense of humour really work. I felt the series got better as it went on (I didn't really like the first three) but I do wonder if I'd feel differently now.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

This is a really good point, actually. Jason Takes Manhattan was the first one I saw and was actually the gateway for me getting into horror and beyond, so I guess I might be biased towards it.

About 3 years ago I watched them all in a row and it was still my favourite. Viewed in context I think its innovative murders and sense of humour really work. I felt the series got better as it went on (I didn't really like the first three) but I do wonder if I'd feel differently now.

3's Disco soundtrack alone should be enough to raise a smile. Even if 1&2 are too straight for you 3 definitely warrants revisiting. 

19 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Part 5 is clearly the worst in the series.

An absolute stinker.

I saw that Part 5 was on Netflix yesterday, so gave it another watch. It's gets a lot of hate because of who the killer is, but it's not the worst in the series.

Much like everyone shits on Halloween 3 because there is no Myers, but I love the film.

On 12/20/2019 at 3:47 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Similarly mine was Part 6 - Jason Lives, which I always considered the best. But now I see that Part 4 is clearly the best. :)