All Things Horror Thread

TheSurgeon

• Paid Members

I'm reading the comic. I basically keep pace with the TV show if a little ahead. The little nods to the books are one of the things I really dig about the TV show. Also that whilst it is basically the same story arcs the TV version makes plenty of changes to keep things interesting.

3 hours ago, DEF said:

I'm reading the comic. I basically keep pace with the TV show if a little ahead. The little nods to the books are one of the things I really dig about the TV show. Also that whilst it is basically the same story arcs the TV version makes plenty of changes to keep things interesting.

I don't read the comics, just read little bits here and there about what has gone down.
Am i right in thinking that in the last episode when Negan denies ever cutting of Carl's hand, that did happen in the comic?

I like to keep on the lookout for the easter eggs, like the Creeper from Creepshow, and Jack from An American Werewold in London.

Just now, TheSurgeon said:

Am i right in thinking that in the last episode when Negan denies ever cutting of Carl's hand, that did happen in the comic?

It never happened in the comic, No.

Rick got his hand chopped off by The Governor in the comic though and now Aaron basically looks like Comic Rick. 

• Paid Members

Yeah it's Rick with one hand lopped off in the book which they kept teasing on the show as a wink but it was pretty obvious they were not ever going to do it.

Unrelated but yesterday I started watching The Exorcist TV show on Amazon Prime and I'm really digging it. I'm only 4 eps in mind you. It got me thinking there must have been a whole slew of Exorcist rip offs after that was a major hit in the 70s.

Any recommendations? For the life of me I can't recall seeing any bar the actual sequels and (excluding 3) they are shite.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Walking Dead lost me for a few seasons but everything post-Rick last season was pretty damn good. It gave them a good kick up the arse and felt quite fresh.

It's not quite as good this season but it's still watchable.

Agreed. This season doesn't seem as focused as last. It feels a bit like they thought they had managed to come out of losing Rick so relatively unscathed that they haven't been as focused as they were last season post Rick.

Which IMO is a huge mistake because post Rick there was and still is a big part of the audience that could lose interest at any moment. Particularly as they are about to lose another fan favourite cast member.

I thought episode 3 was the best they have done so far this season. It lent into Horror a bit more which is really what they should be doing all the time. Obviously the soap opera dynamic is important as they successfully made a fan base genuinely care about the characters. The Whisperers should be terrifying. Now Alpha is just sort of annoying thanks to over exposure.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DEF said:

Yeah it's Rick with one hand lopped off in the book which they kept teasing on the show as a wink but it was pretty obvious they were not ever going to do it.

Unrelated but yesterday I started watching The Exorcist TV show on Amazon Prime and I'm really digging it. I'm only 4 eps in mind you. It got me thinking there must have been a whole slew of Exorcist rip offs after that was a major hit in the 70s.

Any recommendations? For the life of me I can't recall seeing any bar the actual sequels and (excluding 3) they are shite.

If you like the Exorcist TV show, you might like a show called 'Apparitions'. A BBC one from 12 years ago, starring Martin Shaw as a Catholic priest who becomes an exorcist. It was written by Joe Ahearne, who also wrote the Ultraviolet TV show. It's slow-burn and fascinating.

For me, the appeal of religious horror is the idea of a protagonist being tested by an all-powerful being who lies constantly, and having nothing but fragile faith to rely on - even as an atheist, that dramatically appeals. And Apparitions is really good at that side of it, with a lot of the thrust of the demon's arguments being how God has left them to be treated.

EDIT: I JUST READ THE LAST SENTENCE AND WHAT ON EARTH DO YOU MEAN EXORCIST 3 IS SHITE HOW DARE YOU

Edited by Chris B
HOW FUCKING DARE YOU

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Chris B said:

If you like the Exorcist TV show, you might like a show called 'Apparitions'. A BBC one from 12 years ago, starring Martin Shaw as a Catholic priest who becomes an exorcist. It was written by Joe Ahearne, who also wrote the Ultraviolet TV show. It's slow-burn and fascinating.

For me, the appeal of religious horror is the idea of a protagonist being tested by an all-powerful being who lies constantly, and having nothing but fragile faith to rely on - even as an atheist, that dramatically appeals. And Apparitions is really good at that side of it, with a lot of the thrust of the demon's arguments being how God has left them to be treated.

EDIT: I JUST READ THE LAST SENTENCE AND WHAT ON EARTH DO YOU MEAN EXORCIST 3 IS SHITE HOW DARE YOU

Admittedly it's not worded very well but 

'For the life of me I can't recall seeing any bar the actual sequels and (excluding 3) they are shite'

Excluding 3, they are shite. As in all but 3 are shite. 3 is tremendous. Will give Apparitions a look. Cheers.

• Paid Members

So it's a horror thread for only stuff you like then?

So here's my aformentioned SLASHTOBER list,

01 Stag Night
02 Child’s Play 3
03 Friday The 13th part 6 – Jason Lives
04 Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key
05 Smiley
06 Psycho Cop Returns
07 The Ice Cream Man
08 Splatter University
09 Absurd
10 Day Of The Reaper
11 Girl House
12 The Nail Gun Massacre
13 Santa's Slay
14  A Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy’s Revenge
15 Dead Man’s Shoes
16 Body Puzzle
17 Final Exam
18 Doom Asylum
19 Friday The 13th
20 Alice Sweet Alice
21 A Nightmare On Elm Street
22 Amsterdamned
23 Discopath
24 Blood Rage
25 Eaten Alive
26 Stagefright
27 Mask Maker
28 Midnight Movie
29 Just Before Dawn
30 Don’t Torture A Duckling
31 Halloween (2018)

It's my fourth year doing it and it's pretty great. Yeah I get some stinkers picked for me but that's sort of the point. To re-evaluate the less desirable films in my collection.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Call me old fashioned, but I think if a popular TV show has had its own thread for years, then that might be the best place to discuss it. 

Holy crap the forums back!

Re my post I was in a grumpy mood and wasn't digging your seemingly passive aggressive post. Now though I'm much more chilled and rather chuffed to have the forum back. I miss you burks.