All Things Horror Thread

TheSurgeon

My girlfriend is a big horror fan but she's only really seen the mainstream stuff. So I've been gently introducing her to some of the more obscure stuff. We started of pretty tame with the universal monsters. We've been though 70s and 80s slashers and now I'm showing here the extreme stuff. She really enjoyed Anthropohagous..  Even that baby scene... 

But I finally broke her with Cannibal Holocaust.. 

On 11/8/2019 at 3:05 PM, DEF said:

Yeah it's Rick with one hand lopped off in the book which they kept teasing on the show as a wink but it was pretty obvious they were not ever going to do it.

Unrelated but yesterday I started watching The Exorcist TV show on Amazon Prime and I'm really digging it. I'm only 4 eps in mind you. It got me thinking there must have been a whole slew of Exorcist rip offs after that was a major hit in the 70s.

Any recommendations? For the life of me I can't recall seeing any bar the actual sequels and (excluding 3) they are shite.

The Exorcist TV show gets really good with season 2.

As I run my own horror blog I should probably get more involved in this thread!  I started my Christmas horror watching yesterday with Silent Night which is pretty good, mainly because of the death scenes.  Anyone got any favourite Christmas horror movies.  I'll be checking out Anna and the Apocalypse this week.

• Paid Members

Just caught up with this thread. Another strong recommendation here for Apparitions, a cracking little series that should've got more attention than it did. Dark, nasty, and terrifying. Martin Shaw is excellent in it. 

12 hours ago, Twatters said:

The Exorcist TV show gets really good with season 2.

As I run my own horror blog I should probably get more involved in this thread!  I started my Christmas horror watching yesterday with Silent Night which is pretty good, mainly because of the death scenes.  Anyone got any favourite Christmas horror movies.  I'll be checking out Anna and the Apocalypse this week.

Krampus is great. Great to know The Exorcist is on amazon prime! 

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Because it's shite, I assume.

I finally watched Cannibal Holocaust a year or two ago and was somewhat pleasantly surprised. It was, thankfully, a cut that minimised the animal cruelty (because fuck that), but I was surprised to find it at least a bit more of an interesting film than I expected. In terms of an early found-footage film, it does more with the genre than most found-footage films, and the overall 'reveal' is clunky, but I appreciate that it was trying.

To be fair, I have a soft spot for interesting failures. I'm not saying it's great or anything, but I didn't think it was just shite.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chris B said:

I finally watched Cannibal Holocaust a year or two ago and was somewhat pleasantly surprised. It was, thankfully, a cut that minimised the animal cruelty (because fuck that), but I was surprised to find it at least a bit more of an interesting film than I expected. In terms of an early found-footage film, it does more with the genre than most found-footage films, and the overall 'reveal' is clunky, but I appreciate that it was trying.

To be fair, I have a soft spot for interesting failures. I'm not saying it's great or anything, but I didn't think it was just shite.

I'd correct myself actually to say it was boring rather than shite.

It was definitely pioneering and extremely influential but I found it to be one of those films where the story behind it is far more interesting than the finished product.

Anyone collect the Arrow Video releases? They really are the best when it comes to presentation and extras.

I bought a film called 'The Slayer' a few weeks ago which surprisingly was on the 1980's Video Nasty list, anyone seen that?

Just bought the limited edition Arrow releases of American Werewolf In London, Nightbreed and Candyman,

Edited by TheSurgeon

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, TheSurgeon said:

Anyone collect the Arrow Video releases? They really are the best when it comes to presentation and extras.

I bought a film called 'The Slayer', a few weeks ago which surprisingly was on the 1980's Video Nasty list, anyone seen that?

Just bought the limited edition Arrow releases of American Werewolf In Lndon, Nightbreed and Candyman,

Yep Arrow are excellent. Only really rivalled by Vinegar Syndrome in the US with regards to restoration. Last Friday at about midnight Zavvi put up their Arrow black Friday sale in which they reduced LOADS of titles to £6.50.

The trouble they had was it was also a buy one get one free offer so for a few hours before they cottoned on they were flogging Arrow discs for about £4.50 each delivered.

I only got Madhouse and Rawhead Rex myself as I have a lot already and I was spending £140 in the Vinegar Syndrome sale for my Christmas/birthday prezzie. However I know that some folks spent hundreds on stuff.

They must have got most of Arrows catalogue. What's even more mental is Zavvi appear to be honouring them which frankly isn't like them at all.

I've got the Slayer but I won't lie I barely remember it.

• Paid Members

I find Cannibal Holocaust quite interesting, because it's completely not the sort of film you'd expect from the title. It's quite a slow burner. I agree that the story behind the film is far more interesting than the film itself, though the soundtrack is surprisingly lovely.

I haven't watched it in a long time, though, and probably never will again, because the animal cruelty aspect is horrific.

55 minutes ago, DEF said:

Yep Arrow are excellent. Only really rivalled by Vinegar Syndrome in the US with regards to restoration. Last Friday at about midnight Zavvi put up their Arrow black Friday sale in which they reduced LOADS of titles to £6.50.

When Candyman Limited edition came out, I kept putting off buying it. Then when I finally decided to get it, I couldn't get it anywhere for a reasonable price. It goes for £45-£50 on eBay. Luckily it was on the Arrow Video website sale on Friday, so managed to get it for £25.

I've also got the Dawn/Day Of The Dead Limited Editions, which can go for silly money now as they are out of print.

I want 'Intruder' on Blu Ray, but the UK version by (I think) 88 Films is heavily edited. The Synapse US version is uncut, so looking to get that soon,

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

I find Cannibal Holocaust quite interesting, because it's completely not the sort of film you'd expect from the title. It's quite a slow burner. I agree that the story behind the film is far more interesting than the film itself, though the soundtrack is surprisingly lovely.

I haven't watched it in a long time, though, and probably never will again, because the animal cruelty aspect is horrific.

Funnily enough I just spotted it on Amazon Prime, so I was thinking to give it another go after all these years, although I'm not sure I really want to.

There's actually quite a lot of Shameless label horror added to Prime recently if people have it.

• Paid Members

I noticed the Shameless titles on Prime the other week. I watched New York Ripper a couple of days ago as I'm a big Fulci fan. More an Argento style Giallo though very brutal in places and you still can't get an uncut copy in the UK. I've got Torso on my watch list so may give that a go tonight. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, TheSurgeon said:

When Candyman Limited edition came out, I kept putting off buying it. Then when I finally decided to get it, I couldn't get it anywhere for a reasonable price. It goes for £45-£50 on eBay. Luckily it was on the Arrow Video website sale on Friday, so managed to get it for £25.

I've also got the Dawn/Day Of The Dead Limited Editions, which can go for silly money now as they are out of print.

I want 'Intruder' on Blu Ray, but the UK version by (I think) 88 Films is heavily edited. The Synapse US version is uncut, so looking to get that soon,

Nah you are safe with the 88Films version of intruder. It's fully uncut and will be a damn sight cheaper for you to get. There is a longer work print version which is VHS quality. It was on a separate dvd-r disc bundled with Synapse initial release but that was about 10 years ago and was only available from their website. It would cost you a fortune. 88's and Synapse have the full Directors Cut.

I have the Dawn Of The Dead slipcover limited edition but never got round to getting Day. Which bugs the crap out of me because that's the one I most fancy watching now.

EDIT - Talking of 88Films this just popped up in my facebook feed along with a photo of a pint of cider..

'It's the most important day of the year for online sellers of Blu-rays and DVD's, Cider Monday!

25% off your purchases of Slasher Collection and / or Vault Collection with the code CIDER MONDAY. Ends midnight GMT. (Applies to 2 items or more).'

Worth a look if you don't have many of 88's titles. But unlike Arrow the quality of 88's blurays can be a bit hit and miss. Some are as good as Arrow but some are crap.

Edited by DEF