Jump to content

All Things Horror Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members

Ah, you're right - I think both may have had the "On Earth" tagline at some point? I was sure I'd seen Contamination with the Alien 2 title, but I've obviously just conflated the two. 

Contamination has music by Goblin, while Alien 2 has music by Oliver Onions, so they're both hitting all the right notes for bonkers derivative Italian cinema, anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Didn’t you have COVID-18?

Humanoids From The Deep - (Netflix) THIS IS AWESOME! 1980 Roger Corman mash up of the Creature from the Black Lagoon and 80's slasher conventions. I can't stress how much fun I had with this. WARNING

‚ÄúGuys like me and Carpenter came up the hard way.....‚ÄĚ

Posted Images

  • Paid Members
22 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Ah, you're right - I think both may have had the "On Earth" tagline at some point? I was sure I'd seen Contamination with the Alien 2 title, but I've obviously just conflated the two. 

It's entirely possible, Italian horror films and the naming of them has always been a fascinatingly confusing subject. Even George Romero's zombie films used to get roped into the confusion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Paid Members
Just now, Devon Malcolm said:

It's entirely possible, Italian horror films and the naming of them has always been a fascinatingly confusing subject. Even George Romero's zombie films used to get roped into the confusion.

Oh God, yeah. 

If I remember correctly, it's because Dawn Of The Dead was released in Italy as "Zombi", then Lucio Fulci (who, along with Bruno Mattei, pretty much created a cottage industry of Italian faux-sequels) retitled an unrelated zombie move as "Zombi 2", to cash in on Romero's movie. To confuse things more, that movie was released as "Zombie" in the US, but Zombi 3 was Zombie 3 in the US. Various American distributors then packaged entirely unrelated international movies as "Zombie" sequels, so it becomes completely impossible to follow pretty quickly. I think there's an edition of Night Of The Living Dead out there somewhere called "Zombi 0".

I can't remember the specific set of circumstances that led to this being the norm, but it basically comes down to lax copyright laws in Italy in the '70s and '80s, and a slow release time for US films to make it the Italian market, so unscrupulous directors would try and capitalise on big names. Bruno Mattei even made a film called Terminator 2 in 1989, which is actually an Alien rip-off, confusingly...and, just to muddle things more, it was also released as Alien 2, and Contaminator.


Moving away from horror, but I actually unironically love a specific sub-set of these Italian knock-offs that just mash up Mad Max, The Warriors and Escape From New York. There's a ton of them, and all wonderful.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Imagine a film trilogy that includes House of 1000 Corpses and the latest film is considered "the weakest of the three."

Not a fan then? :)

In fact staying with 'House Of 1000 Corpses', I only realized earlier this year that one of the victims is Chris Hardwick¬†(of Talking Dead / Talking Saul)¬†ūüėß

Edited by TheSurgeon
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Paid Members
23 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Oh God, yeah. 

If I remember correctly, it's because Dawn Of The Dead was released in Italy as "Zombi", then Lucio Fulci (who, along with Bruno Mattei, pretty much created a cottage industry of Italian faux-sequels) retitled an unrelated zombie move as "Zombi 2", to cash in on Romero's movie. To confuse things more, that movie was released as "Zombie" in the US, but Zombi 3 was Zombie 3 in the US. Various American distributors then packaged entirely unrelated international movies as "Zombie" sequels, so it becomes completely impossible to follow pretty quickly. I think there's an edition of Night Of The Living Dead out there somewhere called "Zombi 0".

Some of the later Zombi ‚Äúsequels‚ÄĚ aren‚Äôt even zombie films. Apparently, Calamity of Snakes was released as Zombi 9.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Paid Members

Yarp, I still love it despite it some times making me wonder why. Episode 2 this season was so utterly shite I even considered giving up for a second. Then episode 3 was ace and I remembered it's the Walking Dead, it's like watching RAW except more consistent. I also love Fear Of The Walking Dead but I'm always a year behind on that because I watch it on Amazon Prime.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Paid Members

Anyone ever been to Horror-on-Sea? Fancy the idea of a horror festival but no idea of what it's actually like. Don't wanna spend 3 days in a 3/4 empty cinema with a small handful of unwashed neck beards watching terrible films if I can avoid it. 

Edited by LaGoosh
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DEF said:

Yarp, I still love it despite it some times making me wonder why. Episode 2 this season was so utterly shite I even considered giving up for a second. Then episode 3 was ace and I remembered it's the Walking Dead, it's like watching RAW except more consistent. I also love Fear Of The Walking Dead but I'm always a year behind on that because I watch it on Amazon Prime.

I didn't hate the second episode, but did wonder why they'd put a backstory episode so close to the start of the season. Things should pick up a bit now with the Negan/Whisperers story.

I watched about 1 1/2 season of Fear The Walking Dead, then gave up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Paid Members
24 minutes ago, TheSurgeon said:

I didn't hate the second episode, but did wonder why they'd put a backstory episode so close to the start of the season. Things should pick up a bit now with the Negan/Whisperers story.

I watched about 1 1/2 season of Fear The Walking Dead, then gave up.

Yeah I struggled quite alot with the first season of Fear but really started to dig it somewhere in the 2nd. It helps that by and large the main threat is still Zombies/dealing with the zombie apocalypse and not the Walking Dead formula of which new heel faction will invade this season? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I watched one episode of The Walking Dead and that was more than enough.

Yeah but you openly have stated a million times you rather never see another zombie film again than another generic one. Let alone one as badly written as The Walking Dead.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...