Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
5 hours ago, Carbomb said:

perhaps this is simply strategy? Maybe he realises that, as a Labour leader in a right-wing country, the best thing he can do is keep his mouth shut and let the Tories hang themselves, and only reveal more left-wing policies once they're out, because he knows that, the moment he gives away anything substantive about their manifesto, the press will just switch back and go after him full-on like they did Corbyn and Milliband

This is almost certainly what it is.  Blair had to agree to not change Tory spending for his first two years just to get the electorate to give Labour a chance.  Then after his second election victory he and Brown had free reign and a full mandate.

 

Posted

There is a whole wing of the labour party that's been persuaded that being electable means being a different shade of Tory. I think in part many of them share the "we have to do this or the Tories will win" belied.

 

  • Paid Members
Posted

If this leads to Burnham coming back to lead the party then I'm all for a bit of infighting.

I hope to fucking God it does.

I was willing to give Starmer a chance, but his messaging is just so fuzzy and unclear to everyone involved, I think he needs to move on.

  • Paid Members
Posted

People are in for quite a shock if they think Andy Burnham's our next political saviour.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Not wanting to vote Labour to get Starmer in as PM sounds an awful lot like all those people who voted for Boris at the last election. You’re not voting for the PM your  voting for a party.

Posted

I'm guessing that's in response to LiZ Truss talking like she's Sean Bean just because she's from Roundhay in Leeds. She talks about it likes it's a ghetto, the usual shit ignorant twats bleat about in regards to Yorkshire when she's actually from one of the most affluent and thoroughly middle class areas of Leeds.

  • Paid Members
Posted
4 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I think that title's tied up forevermore by Lord Lerwick. Difficult to see how anyone's ever going to be more northern than somebody from Shetland. A forgivable oversight on Sunak's part, my picking out a long-forgotten aristocrat from the nineteenth century to get one over on him? Hardly: it's Norman Lamont.

Thinking of him has just compelled me to look up one of his predecessors and ... somehow Nigel Lawson has made it to 90. I suppose there's hope for all of us if he didn't get felled by a heart attack thirty years ago, before he dropped all that weight.

  • Paid Members
Posted
17 hours ago, Loki said:

This is almost certainly what it is.  Blair had to agree to not change Tory spending for his first two years just to get the electorate to give Labour a chance.  Then after his second election victory he and Brown had free reign and a full mandate.

 

If Starmer's emulating Blair, I'm not voting for him. Tactically copying him is fine. Doing fuck-all with the mandate apart from surface social reforms is not what I want from a Labour leader. 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I think that title's tied up forevermore by Lord Lerwick. Difficult to see how anyone's ever going to be more northern than somebody from Shetland. A forgivable oversight on Sunak's part, my picking out a long-forgotten aristocrat from the nineteenth century to get one over on him? Hardly: it's Norman Lamont.

Thinking of him has just compelled me to look up one of his predecessors and ... somehow Nigel Lawson has made it to 90. I suppose there's hope for all of us if he didn't get felled by a heart attack thirty years ago, before he dropped all that weight.

Easy to forget that other obscure Chancellor come PM, Gordon Brown. Sunak is such a scrawny little twat, Truss is a certified idiot but I’ll take some solace in her becoming PM by someone as thick as her beating that entitled little suit. 

Edited by stumobir
Posted

If Labour had received the most non-Tory votes in my constituency last election then I'd absolutely be voting for them in the next one, even if I had to hold my nose while doing so. I'm not going to let perfect be the enemy of better, and hold the country to ransom under Tory rule while insisting any replacement be everything I desire. Times are too desperate for too many for me to hold out for ideological purity right now.

Your mileage may very.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...