AEW Fyter Fest

Kamaras-Tash

I'd definitely appreciate more effort going into letting me know who all these people are. It's a new company and they can't rely on their small loyal following all the time. Eventually they need to branch out and target people who are casual fans or even not fans at all. Give us a reason to watch. Let us know who to support or boo and WHY. They don't all have clear cut characters after all.

• Paid Members

Yep.Ā  When you have folk asking questions as to why matches are happeningĀ (and you all ready have the hype videos at hand!), then there is something terribly wrong.

Maybe they're just smoothing out the kinks with timingĀ the show? That's my only genuine excuse apart from them not caring or not understanding the importance of making these matches mean something. It's not going to impress or entice potential new fans either way.

Edited by Accident Prone

21 minutes ago, sj5522 said:

They also don't appear to know what a pre-show is supposed to be there for.

For about 70 years TV has been the shop window for a wrestling promoter to sell tickets to their live events or PPVs, indeed for many TV was their life blood as without their TV deals they quickly went out of business. So it's certainly puzzling as to why AEW produce pre-shows that are so spectacularly bad. All you need is a good match or two, lots of hype videos and presenters giving it the hard sell. A pre-show shouldn't be a dumping ground for matches you don't think are good enough for the main card, instead how about some quality control and not putting bad matches anywhere on the card?

• Paid Members

Watching the pre-show for WWE events before a 4 hour PPV is painful but you can't say that after sitting through it you don't have a basic idea of why every single match is happening. That's the point of a pre-show! You'll see the same recaps and promo videos a couple of times and again during the main show. If it doesn't happen on tv then you have to assume that people haven't seen it! 2 shows in and no one has managed to explain who the librarian characters are. If they want to be the kings of social media and have all this online contentĀ then at least mention it on TV. Chuck a graphic on the screen and point them to the videos online.Ā 

Edited by chokeout

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Tamura said:

For about 70 years TV has been the shop window for a wrestling promoter to sell tickets to their live events or PPVs, indeed for many TV was their life blood as without their TV deals they quickly went out of business. So it's certainly puzzling as to why AEW produce pre-shows that are so spectacularly bad. All you need is a good match or two, lots of hype videos and presenters giving it the hard sell. A pre-show shouldn't be a dumping ground for matches you don't think are good enough for the main card, instead how about some quality control and not putting bad matches anywhere on the card?

I don't tweet about wrestling much but I tagged them in a tweet to let them know what I thought. Genuine constuctive feedback.I hope they take it on board.

19 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Maybe they're just smoothing out the kinks with timingĀ the show? That's my only genuine excuse apart from them not caring or not understanding the importance of making these matches mean something. It's not going to impress or entice potential new fans either way.

I think they genuinely think that either everyone has seen or read the build to these things. In the specific case of the main event, I wonder if it was a misguided attempt to add to the "unsanctioned" aspect. Lord knows though. They need to sort it certainly.

It's the same trap WWE fall into 99% of the time they call up someone from NXT. They'll assume the wider audience know who these people are and will support them straight away, even though that couldn't be further from the truth. A lot of these guys I'll know by name but that isn't enough by itself for me to give a shit about them.

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I'd definitely appreciate more effort going into letting me know who all these people are. It's a new company and they can't rely on their small loyal following all the time. Eventually they need to branch out and target people who are casual fans or even not fans at all. Give us a reason to watch. Let us know who to support or boo and WHY. They don't all have clear cut characters after all.

I think that's my biggest issue with what I've seen so far. Its all well and good pandering to your core audienceĀ but with all due respect, most of them would stillĀ love AEW even if Tony Khan and Father Fintan Stack opened the show calling them all a bunch of nonces and saying they love watching lads running around with no shortsĀ on.

Especially for a company opening 'cold' with no TV build up, I find it shocking that the audience are expected to just 'know' who the likes of Joey Janela or MJF are. While being utterly lapsed in terms of weekly TV these days, I still fancy myself as more knowledgable about wrestling than your average man on the street yet I wouldn't be able to pick out most of their roster in a police lineup.

If AEW wants to be serious about being a major player with big TV clearance on both sides of the Atlantic, they need to remedy this and quick. While Chris Jericho may be a big name in wrestling circles, they don't have anyone near having national name recognition.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

The flip side being, I've seen MJF three times ever - DoN press conference, DoN and Fyter Fest. And I think he's ace. When I was a kid and started watching the WWF, I fell in love with all sorts of guys I'd never seen in my life just from their entrance and a 2 minute squash. Those were simpler times and all but if you're good, you'll get over anyway.

Even the guys who are 'bigger' names and more well-known could do with an introduction or re-introduction of sorts. Like with Pentagon Jr, I know him from Lucha Underground and I liked what I saw but he was a cold bastard snapping peoples arms and beating the crap out of women there. So to see him now having a laugh and getting the crowd to chant stuff is a bit different. Obviously I'm fine with guys switching heel/face wherever they go and over time, but it'd be nice to know why I'm meant to like the guy.

I don't get why you'd showcase Moxley's debut with what was essentially a deathmatch. Makes more sense to leave that to Jimmy Havok on the undercard. That guy has never heard of the gym and needs something to do he is actually good at.

Edited by Seratonin

14 minutes ago, Seratonin said:

I don't get why you'd showcase Moxley's debut with what was essentially a deathmatch.Ā 

Because his gimmick is heā€™s not in WWE anymore so nowĀ heā€™s UNSCRIPTED and VIOLENT. Heā€™s all about showing off what he can do when the PG shackles are off and proving heā€™s still got his old deathmatch skills -Ā at least in his first match. Moxley vs Janela didnā€™t make much sense without the deathmatch thing but held a lot of appeal (to the people who were gonna watch anyway) with it, and they werenā€™t gonna do Moxley vs Omega on this show. It gave the show a main event and it gave Moxley a showcase to deviate fromĀ his Dean Ambrose stuff.

4 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Might just be me but Kenny Omega strikes me as the kind of guy that will have a massive sulk the moment Tony tells him no.

what is it about the man with "MOTY Factory" in his twitter bio that gives you the impression that he has an over-inflated ego?