AEW Fyter Fest

Kamaras-Tash

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

I obviously didn't think it was average. I actively disliked the show.

If this is what their average b-show is like going forward then it's a no from me.

So what is your critique exactly? You've not posted anything in particular about the show in particular (at least not that I could see), so I'm just curious as to what has put you off to that degree?

I mean, we all hated the pre-show with the exception of the excellent 3-way tag, that's a given. The chairshot heard around the world hasn't exactly got people clamoring for more of that, but what else has frustrated you to the point of sacking the company off this early? Especially seeing as you really enjoyed DoN, by all accounts. 

I mean through my eyes, no match on the main show was actively bad. They're also not going to go balls-to-wall like DoN for every show, as that's big PPV material, and they're continuing with similar feuds and themes that were prevalent at DoN.

Again, just curious about your opinion and how it changed.

Thinking more about the chairshot and the Bucks' response at that presser, I keep coming back to the thought (probably Cornette inspired) that one of the things that puts me off modern wrestling a touch is that in the old days the audience thought the fighting was real, but the wrestlers performed stunts and protected each other and themselves.

Now the audience knows it's "fake" and almost to compensate the wrestlers seem to need to genuinely endanger themselves.  As if they somehow think it should be real.

Whichever Buck that was, he sneeringly implied that the journalist was being worked by thinking it was unprotected.  But it was - as evidenced by the stitches Cody had afterwards.  So the only people being worked here are the wrestlers themselves, taking chairshots to the head and then trying to claim they were safe.  Madness.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Does any other throwaway form of entertainment ever get over analysed in the way Pro Wrestling does?

You should check Twitter/website comments sections whenever a Marvel film is released, or even a trailer. Same with Star Wars, Game of Thrones, video games etc. Wrestling is no different. It happens in every corner of geekdom.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Loki said:

So the only people being worked here are the wrestlers themselves, taking chairshots to the head and then trying to claim they were safe.  Madness.

Except the person taking the chairshot is the boss. So no-one got worked. And no-one did any working. But everyone is talking about it so is that the goal accomplished? My head hurts. Like Cody.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

You should check Twitter/website comments sections whenever a Marvel film is released, or even a trailer. Same with Star Wars, Game of Thrones, video games etc. Wrestling is no different. It happens in every corner of geekdom.

maybe its because its only with wrestling i ever get exposed to it.

1 minute ago, Accident Prone said:

So what is your critique exactly? You've not posted anything in particular about the show in particular (at least not that I could see), so I'm just curious as to what has put you off to that degree?

I mean, we all hated the pre-show with the exception of the excellent 3-way tag, that's a given. The chairshot heard around the world hasn't exactly got people clamoring for more of that, but what else has frustrated you to the point of sacking the company off this early? Especially seeing as you really enjoyed DoN, by all accounts. 

I mean through my eyes, no match on the main show was actively bad. They're also not going to go balls-to-wall like DoN for every show, as that's big PPV material, and they're continuing with similar feuds and themes that were prevalent at DoN.

Again, just curious about your opinion and how it changed.

I never said I have sacked the company off entirely, just that my hype has been killed. I was very positive about the future of AEW coming out of the first show but this show killed my stiffy big time.

Pre-Show was obviously utter drivel. No idea what sort of maniac enjoys watching the totally talentless Leva Bates. (...actually I do, weird cosplay perverts and furries).

The chair shot, apron bumps etc don't really bother me that much to be honest. I don't see it as any worse as guys like Ibushi and Naito insisting on taking every bump directly on their head and neck.

CIMA and Daniels I thought was fine. Perfectly acceptable but instantly forgettable opener. I did laugh quite a lot when Excalibur went into loads of detail on the history of Toryumon and how these two first met only to go "...actually it was Michinoku Pro"

Women's match I didn't watch as I thought the big lass was horrendous at DoN. I was also busy cooking at the time.

Cody/Allin had ok work and I suppose it achieved what it set out to do, assuming that's to get Allin over as insanely durable. I just felt like the whole "He used to be a pro skater, his uncle was a drunk,  now he paints his face and carries a body bag" stuff to be crap though. Cody putting him in the bag, hitting his move, taking him out of the bag and pinning him was utter head in my hands, cringe worthy nonsense. As above, post match chair shot didn't bother me but pushing Shawn Spears as a top guy did.

Four way I barely remember. Didn't hold my attention at all. I am sure it was fine apart from "Jimmy Havoc" but I do remember quite a lot of very bad indie transitions where every move had to be set up by a badly telegraphed missed clothesline. That's a huge pet peeve of mine.

Trio's match didn't do much for. Not entirely sure why but I'm kind of at the point where The Bucks have jumped the shark a bit. I've been into their stuff in the past but starting to find it a bit tedious now. These guys are great and could likely do a match like this in their sleep at this point.

Moxley came off as a big star in the main but it was still just a big disjointed collection of bumps and death match spots. Seemed pointless to me.

I guess my main gripe is that this didn't come off as a cohesive product at all. Just seemed to be throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticked.

Had to laugh earlier, yesterday I posted a similar comment on a Facebook post about the show that I had posted on here, basically saying it was a meh show and criticising the spots in the Cody/Allin match, lol and behold I go and check the same thread when I woke up and my post appears to have been deleted for not drinking the KoolAid and saying it was the greatest show ever

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

maybe its because its only with wrestling i ever get exposed to it.

I'd keep it that way if I were you! I'm guessing you're more used to boxing and MMA fanbases, which seem to be very different. I've found within those fanbases however that everyone is an 'expert'. Then again, I guess that applies with most sports fanbases.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I'd keep it that way if I were you! I'm guessing you're more used to boxing and MMA fanbases, which seem to be very different. I've found within those fanbases however that everyone is an 'expert'. Then again, I guess that applies with most sports fanbases.

MMA is the same. There'll be 47 million pages on here about who gets a title shot and we've only got 4 people who care about it.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

Big ol' post

Fair enough! Can't really dispute anybody for that kind of critique. 

Darby's debut could've gone a lot better. I don't think this was the kind of the crowd who were going to react to the story they were going for. Darby's kick-outs garnered little reaction, and the audience laughing at him selling the Disaster Kick put an end to any drama pretty quickly. I've got hope that he can still connect, as he's got a great look, a great style and there's great stories to be told with him.

The inclusion of him, as well as Mox and Janela, does neuter Jimmy Havoc though. Darby especially made Havoc look small-time in comparison. Both do a goth gimmick, but one is far superior than the other (although Jimmy is more of a scene kid, and Darby looks like he hangs around the metalheads at your local park). Havoc's inclusion is ultimately puzzling unless they have plans of having a hardcore division and/or cementing a British presence.

The point of Mox vs Janela was told within the story and the video packages (this is where that pre-show NEEDS to improve); Mox wants to show that he isn't the same guy anymore and Joey has issues with Mox just showing up as his old self without proving he is still that bloodthirsty, violent brawler. Perfectly good excuse for the match they had.

My takeaway is that fucking pre-show. We all hammered it home after DoN, and they didn't change a thing. JUST HYPE THE FUCKING SHOW. Show us the interviews, the previews, the hype videos, and have a ten minute spot fest to fuel the whole thing. The 'comedy', the backstage segments and nods to the YouTube show need to fuck off. No one was buying Fyter Fest after that librarians skit and the Jebailey shit show.

Did the video package for Janela v Moxley actually air on the show? I watched it on twitter last night and thought it was very well done, but had no recollection of seeing it during the show.