AEW Fyter Fest

Kamaras-Tash

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

Does anyone else find that Pentagon Jr has lost almost all of his aura since this team with his brother? He's undoubtedly still a great wrestler but all of the act that made him so great in LU is gone.

I always felt like the act in LU wasn't Penta so much as the fucking bonkers storyline and booking around him. Yes he's a good wrestler and the Cero Miedo schtick is catchy but they didn't half arse it in making him look like a fucking savage with the way they booked his run ins and the Vampiro nonsense. Whether he gets that treatment anywhere else is debatable but I don't see it being long before he joins AEW's burgeoning Mad Bastards Division with your Moxleys, Allins and Janelas of the world. You'll get your classic Penta madness then.

8 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I've been honest from the start. I want this to be good. Wrestling is something I've loved for 30-odd years and my interest was dead before this popped up. Like it or not, they've at least made things interesting again.

I don't know why anyone wouldn't give it the benefit of the doubt. They've only had two shows. Off screen, they've done everything they said they would. On screen, they've already done some good things. They've got a few things wrong on each show so far but it's easy to point them out and give them a chance to put things right without declaring it the end of the world already.

Even the bad stuff has been hilariously bad or thought provoking. Hence pages and pages of chat on here. Unlike WWE who aren't ever really bad, just mind numbingly dull.

I wasn't sure this would be for me. Long term, it still might not be but I'll cling to the hope given by that Cody and Dustin match, Jon Moxley being a megastar, cool acts like Page, Lucha Bros and MJF and new guys I've really liked so far like Luchasaurus, Allin and the Party dudes.

Fingers crossed. 

Honestly, stuff like this is why I feel the need to defend them. It's ludicrous. IMO.

I want AEW to do well and really wanted to like it. I too am a 25+ year wrestling fan. But I found the first show so disappointing. 

I disagree that the bad stuff is hilarious or thought provoking. I'd call it embarrassing and cringe worthy. 

Don't know what you find ludicrous about me saying the bad stuff is so off putting. I watched the first show and only enjoyed the Rhodes match. I tried to watch the second show but had to turn it off because I thought it was terrible. Many people share this view.

I'll watch the next Rhodes match and keep up to date with the goings on, but they've turned me away so far.

And I'm certain of this, if WWE had put out some of the matches and angles AEW had, the same fans who are lapping it up would be calling it an all time low for WWE.

We'll see where it goes and if they learn from their mistakes. Problem is, they dont seem to realise the mistakes they're making with shit comedy and bad booking. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LEGIT said:

And I'm certain of this, if WWE had put out some of the matches and angles AEW had, the same fans who are lapping it up would be calling it an all time low for WWE.

Fans would over-react to WWE's mistakes? Get away. That never happens.

I'm each to their own. No one is forcing anyone to watch it or not watch it. Knock yourself out. But anytime anyone is calling a show with five good to very good matches and two big angles "unwatchable", I'm not on board with that.

52 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I'm each to their own. No one is forcing anyone to watch it or not watch it. Knock yourself out. But anytime anyone is calling a show with five good to very good matches and two big angles "unwatchable", I'm not on board with that.

I too wouldn't call a show with five good to great matches unwatchable. But it's purely subjective that Double or Nothing has 5 good matches. I'd disagree.

I didn't call Double or Nothing unwatchable anyway. I said the product was borderline unwatchable due to the bad bits. I would just call Double or Nothing bad. Their last show I turned off, so up to a point that was unwatchable for me. 

Edited by LEGIT

I'm someone who doesn't really need that WWE alternative, I watch plenty of indies and Japanese companies, plus some lucha and get satisfaction from that, so not the target audience of somebody who just watched Raw and felt extremely jaded by it. I've even ended up disliking Kenny Omega quite a lot and gone off the Bucks almost entirely for various reasons.

However, I'll watch everything AEW puts out PPV and TV-wise for a good while, because through all the ups and downs and my thoughts that only Cody deserves to be anywhere near an executive position in a company, they've made the mainstream very, very intriguing again for the first time in years.

I'm also to an extent cheering them on, they are a lesser evil and WWE's full on talent hoarding across their 20 brands has gotten absurd, they have so much great talent that will never be put in a position to try and get over where it matters - it has to be shaken up, and I hope this makes a lot of people think twice before signing.

Edited by sj5522

58 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

I too wouldn't call a show with five good to great matches unwatchable. But it's purely subjective that Double or Nothing has 5 good matches. I'd disagree.

I didn't call Double or Nothing unwatchable anyway. I said the product was borderline unwatchable due to the bad bits. I would just call Double or Nothing bad. Their last show I turned off, so up to a point that was unwatchable for me. 

For someone who hates the company so much you dont half watch a lot of it

6 minutes ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

For someone who hates the company so much you dont half watch a lot of it

Utter rubbish. There's only been 2 shows, so if I'm looking to see what it's like I'm bound to have watched some of it. I've watched the first show and the preshow to the second. And I don't hate the company, I just think so far its been poor and a massive disappointment 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, LEGIT said:

I meant Fyter Fest. Cima/Daniels, Women's three way, Four way, Allin/Cody, Six Man tag and Ambrose/Janela were all at least good and a couple of those were very good.

What point did you turn it off? Because on the actual show, I can't think of anything that was outright bad.

Pre-show was horrible but that is what it is and has been very well discussed. 

This show didn't do anything for me apart for the pre show tag match have to say private party are awesome even if the are a little similar to the street profits.... I loved double or nothing and if I'm honest I would not be buying the next show that night I will be watching evovle on the network 

I desperately want AEW to succeed.  I love all the speculation and their video packages are great.

So far though the actual product isn't doing it for me, apart from that great Cody / Dustin match.  

I want bigger stars.  Jericho and Moxley are a good start but too many of their cards are packed with random indie wrestlers.  I'm hoping when the TV show launches it'll be chocka with recognisable names,  even if they only stick around for a year to help establish other guys/ girls.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

Caught up with Fyter Fest this afternoon while at work. Thought it was a solid show, wrestling wise. Not really much else to add that others haven’t said regarding the matches.

Does Christopher Daniels age? The man looks the exact same as he did 10/15 years ago, it’s extraordinary. 

There was bits I liked and bits I didn’t like, however one thing is for certain, Justin Roberts is the absolute worst. His over exaggerated announcer voice is bad enough, but the way he pronounces John as ‘shaaaaaaaaaaunnn’ has always pissed me off.

There is something really unlikeable about Brandi Rhodes and I can’t quite put my finger on it. I’m not sure if she gives off an aura similar to Stephanie McMahon, but i can’t quite place it.

Never been a fan of Janela from what little I’ve seen of him, however he was brilliant on this show. Moxley I could take or leave, just as I could when he was Dean Ambrose.

They should build the company around Page and MJF, those guys are money. Page has a little more work to do than MJF, but those lads have a bright future. 

I’m hoping these few shows before TV is mainly to allow ‘The Elite’ and Cody to get their impulse fan boy stuff out of the way, because the Street Fighter stuff, Fyre Festival and as previously mentioned, Cody’s flip flopping between face and heel, really need to be reigned in. I don’t think Tony Khan is the character to do that, he seems more like a Dixie Carter type leader, than a McMahon type leader.

Overall, I’m positive about AEW, I really do hope they make a real go of it. I just don’t know what more there is to do in Pro Wrestling. 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Loki said:

I want bigger stars.  Jericho and Moxley are a good start but too many of their cards are packed with random indie wrestlers.  I'm hoping when the TV show launches it'll be chocka with recognisable names,  even if they only stick around for a year to help establish other guys/ girls.

That's a real double edged sword. Personally, I'm a person who is 9,999 times more likely to watch an indy match because the Warlord is in it so I'd also like bigger names but I'd imagine they'll risk the audience they've built so far by filling it with old WWE names while the people desperate to fail will shit all over it for not being fresh and new. The way I see it, the crowd most likely to spend money on this are people who want to see an American New Japan. The crowd most likely to check it out on TNT are people who've heard of Goldberg and Steve Austin.

I'd say tnhey definnitely get it though. That's why you've got DDP and Bret Hart turning up on DoN and Jake Roberts on the Fyter Fest build up video. But in terms of working, I'm struggling to think of names who can go like Dustin can, mean enough at this point to add eyes and aren't with WWE. It's slim pickings and guys like RVD who still work feel too TNA. I think the best we can hope for is someone like Kevin Nash turning up as a manager or something.

14 hours ago, Loki said:

I don't think there really are any bigger stars apart from them two are still actively wrestling/not in a contract with another promotion.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Loki said:

I desperately want AEW to succeed.  I love all the speculation and their video packages are great.

So far though the actual product isn't doing it for me, apart from that great Cody / Dustin match.  

Like who? I can't think of any big stars that can actually still go in the ring? Or if there us they'll most likely have that TNA stink all over them.