Things that you know will be shit

Gus Mears

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

He consoled himself with his millions of dollars, thriving career and global fame.

On top of a pile of money, with many beautiful ladies.

• Paid Members

Probably the truth except grotesque levels of self-absolution and maybe some shots at Channel 4 and Reginald D Hunter.

18 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Thread worthy, for me. It looks like an extremely well produced charity skit that tries to pack all the nation's luvvies into one piece for Christmas. Sort of like they know how much everyone's heart rightly fell to Paddington, and are now trying to just copy it as formula. 

Fantastic Chocolate & Where To Find It. 

I think it's written and directed by the guy who made Paddington so this is a bit like saying Isle of Dogs is trying to rip off Fantastic Mr Fox

I mean it's still got a really decent chance of being shite but Paddington tried to pack all the nations luvvies into one piece for Christmas and it seemed to work out ok??

• Moderators

I am not expecting it to be as good as Paddington but I'll definitely watch it and expect to enjoy it. 

And as much as I find the idea of an origin prequel to be a bit uninspired as a rule, at least it's not another chocolate factory remake. 

Edited by Chest Rockwell

38 minutes ago, organizedkaos said:

I think it's written and directed by the guy who made Paddington so this is a bit like saying Isle of Dogs is trying to rip off Fantastic Mr Fox

I mean it's still got a really decent chance of being shite but Paddington tried to pack all the nations luvvies into one piece for Christmas and it seemed to work out ok??

That's my point. Some writer/directors have a certain wheelhouse they stick to, sure, but some try and copy and paste the magic they once created with a much more mechanical, transparently formulaic precision. Richard Curtis is the first example that comes to mind. 

This trailer gives me vibes of the latter. 

• Paid Members

It'll be shit for the reasons all of this kind of origin story/prequel is shit. The whole point of Willy Wonka is that he's a mysterious, eccentric figure in this mad self-contained world. Explaining how he came to be that way is pointless.

2 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Explaining how he came to be that way is pointless.

To you.

I have a 10yo who really likes the films and books and is intrigued by the trailer and how he came to be how he is.

Or shall we just stop all prequels?

Maybe actually.

Edited by SuperBacon