Things that you know will be shit

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

More one for Petty Annoyances but I was baffled by some comments on “mispronunciation” the other day. I brought up a YouTube upload of a show they made about the murder I was on the jury for, and the comments section was littered with indignant morons correcting the pronunciation of the victims name, by those who’d made the show. The show including the 999 call by the man who found the body, who happened to be her ex-boyfriend. So… fairly good chance they knew how she pronounced her own name, right?

I know, I know. YouTube comments.

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

More one for Petty Annoyances but I was baffled by some comments on “mispronunciation” the other day. I brought up a YouTube upload of a show they made about the murder I was on the jury for, and the comments section was littered with indignant morons correcting the pronunciation of the victims name, by those who’d made the show. The show including the 999 call by the man who found the body, who happened to be her ex-boyfriend. So… fairly good chance they knew how she pronounced her own name, right?

mFOj-G3Cfq_10p2cAcW7dTT_PtQ=.gif

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Something similar for me is when Yanks comment on British-spelt things, saying things like "lol they don't know how to spell emphasize". Think it's pretty common knowledge that British, American, and even Australian English often differ from each other in spelling and pronunciation.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

Something similar for me is when Yanks comment on British-spelt things, saying things like "lol they don't know how to spell emphasize". Think it's pretty common knowledge that British, American, and even Australian English often differ from each other in spelling and pronunciation.

A lot of that just comes up with internet "culture" being overwhelmingly American - there's a real assumption that anyone they're interacting with is American, or else just a complete ignorance of anything beyond their borders. There was a Twitter thing recently of a guy making a political Tweet, not about America, and someone replying basically saying "YOU VOTED FOR JOE BIDEN, IT'S YOUR FAULT", and it taking multiple responses before he understood that the person was in another country.

It's the same thing with the American variant of Covid denialism - talking it up as if it was all a conspiracy to get Biden elected and undermine Donald Trump. Yeah, and they got the rest of the fucking world to play along with that little game, did they? They got Israel and Palestine to buddy up and agree to pretend there was a pandemic, all so it could be slightly easier for the people of upstate New York to vote by post?

There's a writer I follow on Twitter who recently had an absolute shitstorm - they write a lot of English folklore, ghost stories, folk horror, that sort of thing, and had sketched something to illustrate a story about the ghost of a hanged woman, and got floods of hate on Facebook from people calling him a white supremacist because their picture "glorified lynching". Absolutely useless trying to explain to anyone complaining about it that there criticism barely makes sense outside of their own narrow cultural context.

36 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

It's the same thing with the American variant of Covid denialism - talking it up as if it was all a conspiracy to get Biden elected and undermine Donald Trump. Yeah, and they got the rest of the fucking world to play along with that little game, did they? 

I think that's as much to do with the fact that they think they are the world and mostly don't give a shit about the rest of the world.

Not quite sure how it is these days but when I dated a girl from America I was shocked at how little she knew about anything outside of America really. Their education sounded like it really didn't touch on much worldwide whatsoever.

• Paid Members

It's a small thing, but I saw someone complaining that LGBT+ History Month was in February, because that was Black History month, and how this was being repressive, etc - because they absolutely didn't understand that US LGBT+ History and Black History month aren't worldwide events. LGBT+ History month, being a UK thing, happening in February (and Black History Month in October) just infuriated her.

• Paid Members

If it wasn't for black trans people at the stonewall riots LGBTQIA+ rights fights possibly wouldn't have been set into motion, so I can understand the idea behind them running alongside each other. 

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, BomberPat said:

They got Israel and Palestine to buddy up and agree to pretend there was a pandemic

I must've missed this one, it's not like there's been any news in the past two years. What happened? A ceasefire? Street party?

16 hours ago, Chris B said:

It's a small thing, but I saw someone complaining that LGBT+ History Month was in February, because that was Black History month, and how this was being repressive, etc - because they absolutely didn't understand that US LGBT+ History and Black History month aren't worldwide events. LGBT+ History month, being a UK thing, happening in February (and Black History Month in October) just infuriated her.

Yeah, the continued americanisation if things is becoming really problematic for things like that. Because it doesn't follow American norms, other places must be 'lying' or in someway repressed. 

Reminds me of a time I got kicked out of a trans group on Facebook for explaining that to someone not out, or can't be out for whatever reason, that volunteering or being forced to use the wrong pronouns over and over again can be more damaging  to that person than people would ever know.

Thus, forcing pronouns is not a good thing for some and consideration should be made before lynching those who do not as there are usually lots of reasons why not. 

However, because it was a US based group and I was a brit. I was labelled a rabid Terf and the rest of the insults that go with it before being unceremoniously booted from the group. They never even bothered to check if I was trans or not, 😂 😂 😂 

Also what happens if someone was black and lgbtq and the two things were run at the same time? Do they have to pick one? It's ridiculous. 

16 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

If it wasn't for black trans people at the stonewall riots LGBTQIA+ rights fights possibly wouldn't have been set into motion, so I can understand the idea behind them running alongside each other. 

Dont tell that to Terfs, they will absolutely crucify you. This is despite Stonewall Inn being used  to pick up drag queens, and crossdressing and trans sex workers.

https://time.com/5604224/stonewall-lgbt-sex-worker-history/

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Is that Bulk and Little Legs on the left?

It is. Mariah May & Dan "I've seen things" Moloney too. I don't recognise the other guy.

It likely will be cramp, but I'll be watching. Partially because I think Jahannah James is gorgeous.

• Paid Members

I had the brief for that series come in a while back. Recontacted some old wrestling contacts to ask them if they'd like me to put them forward for the castings. Sadly, couldn't get them in.