Things that you know will be shit

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

SNL relies on a massive, full-time writers' room, which is just not the culture of comedy writing in the UK. They'd basically have to restructure how British comedy is written from the ground up, that isn't going to happen. So it'll be shit.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

SNL relies on a massive, full-time writers' room, which is just not the culture of comedy writing in the UK. They'd basically have to restructure how British comedy is written from the ground up, that isn't going to happen. So it'll be shit.

It's pretty much how most panel shows are written anyway so it could easily be done.

• Paid Members

The only way this could possibly work is if they throw millions of quid at Kenan Thompson and get him to do it.

Otherwise it will be terrible. Almost all of the most popular comedians in this country are awful and the ones that aren't as well known are not going to draw any viewers and a lot of them won't touch it because they know it will be shit and will damage their careers enormously. It's a really awful idea.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

It's pretty much how most panel shows are written anyway so it could easily be done.

I think a lot of panel shows are written by freelancers or pseudo-freelancers, as most BBC shows have been forever, rather than a dedicated full-time team, though. I may well be very out of date on that, though.

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

They just just bring back A Stab In The Dark. Baddiel would be up for it as it’s the only show where he was supposed to be the funny one. Not sure what happened to the other bloke though. 

Curiosity made me look this up. Fucking hell, I had no idea. 

6 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I think a lot of panel shows are written by freelancers or pseudo-freelancers, as most BBC shows have been forever, rather than a dedicated full-time team, though. I may well be very out of date on that, though.

I know shows like Mock The Week, 8 Out of 10 Cats and Have I Got News For You all have the same core group of about five or six writers for the whole of a series with the odd extra person every now and then. As well as the people on the show too, obviously. So it's not a million miles away from the American way.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Also they're writing gags, not sketches.

Saturday Night Live is shite anyway. A million people do improv and sketch comedy in America. About 1% are any good. 0.01% of them get hired for SNL and because of ridiculous time constraints and pressure they're under they're lucky if 1 sketch a week is close to good. 

About a thousand people do improv and sketch comedy in this country and they're all shit.