Things that you know will be shit

Gus Mears

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

On the plus side, it makes your Twitter a nice place to be on those nights. I hope it goes full meta with someone performing Flowers by Sweet Female Attitude. 

7 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Funny you should mention that, but for the first time in the three and a half years we've lived here she actually performed it last week! Good version too, despite the 80-cigs-a-day speaking voice Cat has nowadays.

Here's something I've always wondered. Was garage music popular up north (around the turn of the century)? I always presumed it was massive around London and the South East, but not so much in the north where Trance was much bigger and dominated the clubs.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Here's something I've always wondered. Was garage music popular up north (around the turn of the century)? I always presumed it was massive around London and the South East, but not so much in the north where Trance was much bigger and dominated the clubs.

I've no idea, before I was a film ponce I was a music ponce and only bought stuff from Piccadilly Records and that was played on John Peel or Mark & Lard.

8 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Garage did make it up North, and Trance despite the clubs was never as big as its made it up here.  Lots of house and garage nights at the moment whereas trance is stuck with the big orchestral sets. And that's it really 

• Paid Members

The bigger songs like your Artful Dodger, Craig David, So Solid Crew,  Oxide & Neutrino etc got some airplay on radio 1. I worked in a nightclub as a glass collector at the literal turn of the century and and the usual big radio hits would generally get trotted out when it was dance night. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Wretch said:

An added dose of shit, this.

A stain on our fine city

20211210_184452.jpg

Someone on twitter argued with my moaning that it was for charity. I said just give Tressel Trust a fiver and don’t buy this shit. They get more then the 20p or whatever the proceeds are, and he doesn’t get a 4th consecutive Christmas Number 1. If he does get the number 1 again, he’ll have broken Beatles and Spice Girls records of 3 on the bounce.

I’d never heard of Ladbaby until last year and I barely even remember what their song was. Them releasing shit music is going to raise more for charity than just telling people to give a fiver instead. That Elton John and Ed Sheeran song is an abomination though. Like Sheeran put “Christmas” in to his generic music creator and got Vic Reeves to do an Elton John impression over it.

5 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Like, who genuinely gives a single fuck about Christmas number one these days? Or the charts in general?

I doubt anyone under the age of 35 cares. I doubt anyone under the age of about 25 even knows that the charts are even a thing. 

How do charts even work? Honest question. Who actually buys albums these days? I get that people will but vinyl versions to look nice and people will buy signed versions but with Spotify, deezer, amazon and apple it's pretty much almost all streaming now isn't it?

34 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

How do charts even work? Honest question. Who actually buys albums these days? I get that people will but vinyl versions to look nice and people will buy signed versions but with Spotify, deezer, amazon and apple it's pretty much almost all streaming now isn't it?

https://absolutelabelservices.com/ukchartstreamingratios/

• Paid Members

They include Spotify/iTunes streams and YouTube plays nowadays, which is how you end up with Fairytale Of New York breaking the top ten every year nowadays. Not that that's a bad thing. Unless it's that shit cover by Ronan Keating. 

30 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

On a slight tangent, me and Mrs JB watch the old Top of The Pops on BBC Four and the number of huge artists that didn't score many (or any) numbers ones is often surprising.  E.g. The Pet Shop Boys only had 4 number one singles (the last one being in 1988).

Watching that and having @TOTPfacts up at the same time is a weekly highlight of mine.