The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

If you wanted to argue against LA Knight you could say there’s still every chance he ends up being the modern day Ken Kennedy. Being able to cut promos with a similar confidence, cadence and delivery as The Rock is always going to get you over to a certain degree, but what if that’s all you have? For example, can anyone name their favourite LA Knight match?

Fuck that racket though. Something no-one admits in pro-wrestling - particularly those who find success in it - is how a solid 75% of making it is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Most of those you give a fair chance to, with a proper push, get over. Most of those who you decide can’t make it, so give them a half-arsed push before grinding them down and burying them, don’t make it.

You decide Triple H is going to be a big star, so push him as such even when he’s shitting the bed throughout 1999, and eventually he makes it. You decide Rey Mysterio isn’t believable as Heavyweight Champion, so have him lose to everyone, then pat yourself on the back for being right all along when he bombs.

A good promoter should avoid all biases and give anything that’s clicking a fair shake regardless. And listening to the reactions LA Knight is already getting, when the most famous thing he’s ever done is lose to Bray Wyatt in the laser tag arena? I’d strap a fucking rocket to the man. Whether it ultimately works or not, imagine if his music hits when Roman Reigns is celebrating on the Smackdown after Summerslam? They’d have to measure it on the Richter scale.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

I don't rate LA Knight particularly, but then I barely watch WWE at all, and everyone seems to love him, so they'd be daft not to capitalise on that. I don't buy him being older than they'd like as a reason not to do that - if anything, it's more incentive to strike while the iron's hot and capitalise now rather than 5 years down the line.

As much as I don't particularly rate him either, it's definitely not worth fucking him off because of his age. Same with Cody, people saying because of his age he can't be the next megastar etc.

It's mad to think but worth noting, whilst Rock and Austin were younger at the time, their run as the top stars in the entire business only really lasted 5 years tops, 1998-2003, in Rocks case arguably 1999-2002. I know business is a bit different these days but those twos run on top was only 4 years, so even at age LA Knight is now, push him to the moon and he's got plenty of time to leave a legacy if it happens

Edited by Doog

Ultimate warrior had like a 2/3 year run. Randy savage had a 2/3 year wwf headline run. Ddp, Goldberg, if someone is hot capitalise and make money while you can than worry he won’t be there in 5 years 

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Louch said:

Ultimate warrior had like a 2/3 year run. Randy savage had a 2/3 year wwf headline run. Ddp, Goldberg, if someone is hot capitalise and make money while you can than worry he won’t be there in 5 years 

Stardom being what it is, and the company booking how they book, I'd be more worried that after five years the boat has well and truly been missed because they've worked everyone already and gone 50/50 with Dolph Ziggler.

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, Supremo said:

If you wanted to argue against LA Knight you could say there’s still every chance he ends up being the modern day Ken Kennedy. Being able to cut promos with a similar confidence, cadence and delivery as The Rock is always going to get you over to a certain degree, but what if that’s all you have? For example, can anyone name their favourite LA Knight match?

I don't think the matches matter much. Get over, get the crowd noise up and the matches will instantly approve because perception is reality. Steve Austin was a chore to watch when he was having "good wrestling matches" in early 96 with Savio Vega because nobody gave a shit, Rocky Maivia always worked a bit loose and sloppy for his first year on TV and beyond, but once people invested and made a noise, we were excited to watch them both.

Kennedy is actually a fairly good example. In retrospect, it might be tricky to remember any actual match that stands out from his tenure in WWE. But he was going to be a superstar, and his own bad luck and stupidity worked against him. He'd have cashed in Money In The Bank on Taker and been a heel champion on SmackDown if he hadn't done his triceps. When he came back, he'd have been Vince's lovechild and worked a match with Triple H at Mania 24 if he hadn't been implicated in the Signature Pharmacy scandal. They turned him babyface and he was being built back up on SmackDown in 2008 - he had crowds eating out of the palms of his hands, people were bringing in giant letters spelling his name, and queues to get into house shows were basically deafening rackets of people shouting "KENNEDY!" at the top of their lungs. Then he did his shoulder in. He came back and realistically would have been in line for a run at main event on Raw, when he hurt Orton. After his own numerous injuries and being in the ring when Lashley got hurt, when Cena got hurt and then when Orton got hurt, his position became untenable.

I'm probably the wrong person to comment having never seen an LA Knight match, to be fair. But Hogan said the best worker is the one that gets them to make the most noise, so that's all that matters in my book.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

It will never fail to amaze me how rarely the WWE just give the audience what they want. 

At this point, you just have to assume they think LA Knight is a fad and will die down.

It’s the usual story. Get yourself over organically and we’ll chop your legs out from underneath you. See Zach Ryder and Daniel Bryan.

It’s hilarious that they can’t figure out how to create new stars when the solution is generally “give the fans what they want”.

It’s no surprise that turning Roman heel as the fans wanted was what changed his trajectory between success and failure as the man. Every star they’ve had has been down to moving with fan reactions at the time (and I include Cena as he was roundly cheered as a rapper until he became the man).

They don’t need to go mental and give everyone a Word title but they now actively hold people down if it wasn’t their plan. Giving fans what they want won’t always be a success but 9 times out of 10 it will work out for you.

Edited by FUM

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Get yourself over organically and we’ll chop your legs out from underneath you. See Zach Ryder and Daniel Bryan.

Organically, meat free, and 100% sustainable push.

On 7/19/2023 at 9:19 PM, Supremo said:

Fuck that racket though. Something no-one admits in pro-wrestling - particularly those who find success in it - is how a solid 75% of making it is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Most of those you give a fair chance to, with a proper push, get over. Most of those who you decide can’t make it, so give them a half-arsed push before grinding them down and burying them, don’t make it.

You decide Triple H is going to be a big star, so push him as such even when he’s shitting the bed throughout 1999, and eventually he makes it. You decide Rey Mysterio isn’t believable as Heavyweight Champion, so have him lose to everyone, then pat yourself on the back for being right all along when he bombs.

A good promoter should avoid all biases and give anything that’s clicking a fair shake regardless. And listening to the reactions LA Knight is already getting, when the most famous thing he’s ever done is lose to Bray Wyatt in the laser tag arena? I’d strap a fucking rocket to the man. Whether it ultimately works or not, imagine if his music hits when Roman Reigns is celebrating on the Smackdown after Summerslam? They’d have to measure it on the Richter scale.

Spot on. I've seen something similar in my marketing career. 

If someone has been hired by a manager, that manager will bend over backwards to ensure they succeed even if they are / were spotty previously.

Meanwhile if they inherent someone, they can subconscious bury that person regardless of actual ability and "I was right about them all along."

Self-fulfilling. Someone said "can you name a good LA Knight match... well no... because he hasn't been giving a match of any true significance or build.