The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

I think US Champion is fine. 

To be honest, I’m half surprised they’ve stuck to Logan/Ricochet. That’s a real example of ‘sticking to the plan’ for no real reason, with no upside.

Presumably that was going to be sold on the back of a Spanish fly, but as that didn’t work surely they could have just moved on? Logan/LA Knight was really starting to cook before Money In The Bank.

Those promos in the run up to Summerslam could have been superb. Ricochet has as much personality as a librarians sock drawer.

Enjoyed the MSG show, felt like the obvious outcome of the Roman Court thing, but doesn’t make it any less enjoyable.

WWE are moaned at for throwing swerves out of nowhere, to spite the fans, but when they give obvious outcomes, as it’s what’s right, they’re also wrong for doing so.*

*Based on the 50 weeks of the year I watch WWE, as we now have to show how little/often we watch the show it seems.

6 minutes ago, Matthew said:

*Based on the 50 weeks of the year I watch WWE, as we now have to show how little/often we watch the show it seems.

No mate, mine was more that I don't watch much WWE so maybe I've missed something that marks Solo out as a stand out performer, and also that more frequent viewers might have a more informed view on things.

Don't get fucking cheeky, or I'll be laying stingers up and down the and M1 and M6 on Bank Holiday weekend.

48 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

No mate, mine was more that I don't watch much WWE so maybe I've missed something that marks Solo out as a stand out performer, and also that more frequent viewers might have a more informed view on things.

Don't get fucking cheeky, or I'll be laying stingers up and down the and M1 and M6 on Bank Holiday weekend.

It was more that I’ve seen an influx of not just yours, but multiple posts recently from people making sure they’re pointing out they don’t watch much WWE anymore, and posting specifically how often they do/don’t watch it. Not specifically to you.

From the YouTube clips I see, Solo looks like a star as he looks like he could actually batter people. If he can keep his weight where it is that’s a lotta size to throw around as well and keep an aura 

That LA Knight digital exclusive has more YouTube views than anything that isn’t Bloodline from SD and everything that isn’t the Brock/Cody brawl from RAW. His popularity isn’t just the fun catchphrases in the arena it seems. I’d definitely consider throwing the US strap on him as suggested above.

• Paid Members

Overall - Transitional week so not one you'd need to watch all the way through, but a few highlights to digest from YouTube clips at least. 

👍 Bloodline bid'ness - Not a segment we'll remember in the wider context of the saga, but if anything that's a compliment to just how good the whole storyline has been from start to finish. Even a 'filler' segment is still better than most. Good to see Heyman get a kicking for a change. It's very hard to see Jey taking the strap from Roman and I think this might be a problem over the next couple of weeks, but I think the talent involved will do more than enough to suspend disbelief in the match itself when it happens. 

👍 US title-contender fourway - Action-packed and everyone was full of beans. 

👍 Brawling Brutes/Pretty Deadly - Enjoyable opening contest. Went very much as expected with the heels overcoming their foes with some skullduggery. 

👍 LA Knight is officially a babyface at this point. The right move. LA Knight vs Austin Theory at Summerslam would be the right call IMO. 

👎 Bobby Lashley/Street Profits - I'm up for the union itself, but Lashley rocking up in a car 3/4 of the way through the show and fucking straight off again is just...odd. Hope he didn't get paid for that shift!

👎 Women's title business - Don't think this landed as intended. Bianca put in a good performance at the start and end of the show, but Charlotte sucks the life out of everything in terms of enjoyment. Butchered her opening promo and she remains insufferable as a babyface figure. Asuka/Bianca wasn't a patch on past efforts, even if you consider this instalment to be more of an angle rather than a match. The potential Io Sky cash-in added some drama, but the conclusion to that was a bit too predictable as well. Not terrible and it's good to see the women getting to open and close, but a few issues to address in the post-mortem. 

👎 Zelina Vega/Bayley - Too short to be anything of note.  

Man if Austin Theory had 1/10th of the charisma of LA Knight he’d be half way to being whatever it is WWE thinks he can be. I’d love to see a future feud between Knight and Cody. Just two great talkers, one killing it saying weird shit and the other simply talking like wrestlers used to.

2 hours ago, The King of Old School said:

Shotzi shaving her hair to no reaction at all was pretty funny.

“I’m fucking mental me” energy that promo.

Good to see reactions for Jey are starting to pick up a bit, love the guy. The story makes sense to end with him seeing he started it, it won’t but at least they can make us believe once more.

22 hours ago, The King of Old School said:

Shotzi shaving her hair to no reaction at all was pretty funny.

Apparently the real world reason she shaved her head was because her sister is going through cancer treatment. So good on her.

Without that context... she came across as being a massively overreacting 13 year old whose rebelling over the injustice she can't have smiley potato faces at lunchtime, whilst playing Saw background music over the top of it. 

"I'm a little weird". Yep... just like every teenager I've met trying to figure themselves out.

So bad execution... might of been better if there had actually been sustained bullying from Bailey over several weeks, leading to her having her whole head shaved off by the heel faction.

I think LA Knight is a real test of where WWE is at in this new HHH-but-still-Vince era.

He was around for ages in the old Vince era and was regarded as barely good enough for a manager.

HHH allowed him to do his thing and he's, right now, one of the most over acts in the whole company.

Traditionally, getting over when you're not expected to is punished, and the machine grinds you down until you've got no momentum left.  But during the HHH era acts were allowed to organically develop and it led to a fairly fresh feeling roster.

I've long regarded him as a potential top act so I'm biased, but even if you don't particularly like his retro act you'd be tempted to push him to the moon to make some money, surely?