Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, simonworden said:

That's exactly why I hope he doesn't go anywhere near AEW. They don't need him and he doesn't need to become an edge parody feuding with the very broken Hardy's. 

Only thing wrestling wise I'd like to see is some form of q and a show with him, Christian and some form of Dudley's/Hardy's perhaps. 

I mean, I love it so this isn’t a criticism, but AEW are headlining the ‘biggest wrestling show ever’ with Adam Cole. I don’t think it’s as easy as saying ‘they don’t need’ a star the size of Edge. He’d have an impact on their business, and  - alongside the money in tag matches - they’d potentially get out of him what they’d hoped to get out of Punk over a long period; namely, a big WWE headliner that Adam Page, Kenny Omega et al could get in with and go over.

I think Tony Khan would, and should if it’d help, crawl over broken glass for a year of Edge.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz
  • Paid Members
Posted
32 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I mean, I love it so this isn’t a criticism, but AEW are headlining the ‘biggest wrestling show ever’ with Adam Cole. I don’t think it’s as easy as saying ‘they don’t need’ a star the size of Edge. He’d have an impact on their business, and  - alongside the money in tag matches - they’d potentially get out of him what they’d hoped to get out of Punk over a long period; namely, a big WWE headliner that Adam Page, Kenny Omega et al could get in with and go over.

I think Tony Khan would, and should if it’d help, crawl over broken glass for a year of Edge.

I'd imagine too that Edge is a nicer figure to have around in the locker room too 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

It was the Dean Ambrosiest match since Ambrose himself jumped ship. A real sense of giving someone a nice send off because they’ve done everything asked of them, but also in the hope they don’t actually leave.

I’d be bang up for Edge in AEW, just for the madness of seeing him in a non-WWE environment. I bet he’d look like a giant there, similar to Billy Gunn. But yeah, there’s a plethora of mind-blowing match graphics they could drop featuring him. You wouldn’t even have to rush to the Christian thing. You could save that for when he’s running a bit stale and you’ve exhausted some of the singles matches. Ideally once the Hardys are gone. Him and Christian bumping into each other in the Royal Rumble was easily the highlight of his second run in WWE. It would be great to see them have a retirement run as tag champs.

I’d have two major concerns, the first being the name. Assuming he wouldn’t be allowed to use, “Edge,” I can’t think of a single wrestler who would feel weirder using anything other than his WWE name. Arguably even more than Big Show, he feels pure WWE, through and through. I’m sure I’d get used to it eventually, but him coming in as Adam Copeland sounds so bizarre. I can’t think of a clever workaround, either. Redge? Sledge? The Ledge…end?

Secondly, whilst I love the idea of him having mad matches with the likes of Hangman or Omega, I can’t help but remember how fucking rubbish the, “work-rate,” matches he had since his return were. Whether it was AJ Styles, Seth Rollins or Finn Balor, every time he was in there with a younger, faster guy who’d came up in his absence, it was invariably a massive disappointment. At least if he came to AEW and had similar duds we’d know it was him and not just the WWE style. It’s not like AJ, Seth or Finn have been setting the world on fire with any other opponents.

He was considering AEW’s offer the first time, wasn’t he? If he still wants to wrestle he may as well roll the dice. He’s done everything he could do in WWE. There’s nothing on the horizon that excites me. If nothing else, he seems a funny guy in real life. It all else fails let him have a laugh with your Danhausens and Orange Cassidys. It’s got to be better than him pulling angry faces and shouting GRIT into the camera.

Edited by Supremo
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Supremo said:

It was the Dean Ambrosiest match since Ambrose himself jumped ship. A real sense of giving someone a nice send off because they’ve done everything asked of them, but also in the hope they don’t actually leave.

I’d be bang up for Edge in AEW, just for the madness of seeing him in a non-WWE environment. I bet he’d look like a giant there, similar to Billy Gunn. But yeah, there’s a plethora of mind-blowing match graphics they could drop featuring him. You wouldn’t even have to rush to the Christian thing. You could save that for when he’s running a bit stale and you’ve exhausted some of the singles matches. Ideally once the Hardys are gone. Then bumping into each other in the Royal Rumble was easily the highlight of his second run in WWE. It would be great to see them have a retirement run as tag champs.

I’d have two major concerns, the first being the name. Assuming he wouldn’t be allowed to use, “Edge,” I can’t think of a single wrestler who would feel weirder using anything other than his WWE name. Arguably even more than Big Show, he feels pure WWE, through and through. I’m sure I’d get used to it eventually, but him coming in as Adam Copeland sounds so bizarre. I can’t think of a clever workaround, either. Redge? Sledge? The Ledge…end?

Secondly, whilst I love the idea of him having mad matches with the likes of Hangman or Omega, I can’t help but remember how fucking rubbish the, “work-rate,” matches he had since his return were. Whether it was AJ Styles, Seth Rollins or Finn Balor, every time he was in there with a younger, faster guy who’d came up in his absence, it was invariably a massive disappointment. At least if he came to AEW and had similar duds we’d know it was him and not just the WWE style. It’s not like AJ, Seth or Finn have been setting the world on fire with any other opponents.

He was considering AEW’s offer the first time, wasn’t he? If he still wants to wrestle he may as well roll the dice. He’s done everything he could do in WWE. There’s nothing on the horizon that excites me. If nothing else, he seems a funny guy in real life. It all else fails let him have a laugh with your Danhausens and Orange Cassidys. It’s got to be better than him pulling angry faces and shouting GRIT into the camera.

The thing is, whilst you’re right, the work rate guys in 2023 WWE work a slightly altered, slightly neutered style where it really relies on the pace they set in normal matches.

Having great matches means something quite specific these days over there, something quite safe and sterile within a certain set of boundaries.

AEW isn’t as bothered about allowing top guys express themselves in different ways in search of a good match.

Omega, in particular, but Hangman, Mox and those top guys in AEW have more tools at their disposal - and more leeway to use them - to get around any issues. Mox has gone full Abdullah with it.

I’d be well up for seeing ‘Edgy’ Adam Copeland vs Mox in a ‘spirit of Foley’ death match, followed by ‘Edgy’ Adam Copeland vs Kenny Omega in a Ladder match, followed by ‘Edgy’ Adam Copeland vs Hangman Adam Page in a Hell in an AEW Cell match.

Edge’s best matches were always gimmick matches, so go wild with it. Just don’t break his neck. But, he’s not been shy about bumping since coming back, and the AEW lot are all good at throwing themselves around for their opponents. Let’s go.

 

Edited by d-d-d-dAz
  • Paid Members
Posted

In retrospect, assuming those in the industry knew this was coming, that Hardy Boys vs. Young Bucks Dynamite match the other week now feels like a proof-of-concept exhibition. If we can drag this level of a match out of these washed up dickheads, imagine what we could do with Edge and Christian, who can actually still go!

Posted
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

 

I’d have two major concerns, the first being the name. Assuming he wouldn’t be allowed to use, “Edge,” I can’t think of a single wrestler who would feel weirder using anything other than his WWE name. Arguably even more than Big Show, he feels pure WWE, through and through. I’m sure I’d get used to it eventually, but him coming in as Adam Copeland sounds so bizarre. I can’t think of a clever workaround, either. Redge? Sledge? The Ledge…end?

I actually think it would be both hilarious and bang on if he were to come in simply as Legend. It walks that line between earnestness and downright arrogance. You've got the option of weeks of open secret vignettes hyping "(A) Legend debuts on Dynamite...!", a tron where the letters fade in JUST enough to highlight the name but avoid cease and desists, plus the I Am Legend connotations of being a post-apocalyptic loner is bound to appeal to Copeland's spoopy tendencies.

Posted

Contract isn't up until the end of September. The Wembley fantasy booking can be put to one side. Should also mean the Christian/Luchasaurus TNT title will have run its course if the reunion tour is the plan.

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

I’d have two major concerns, the first being the name. Assuming he wouldn’t be allowed to use, “Edge,” I can’t think of a single wrestler who would feel weirder using anything other than his WWE name. Arguably even more than Big Show, he feels pure WWE, through and through. I’m sure I’d get used to it eventually, but him coming in as Adam Copeland sounds so bizarre. I can’t think of a clever workaround, either. Redge? Sledge? The Ledge…end?

He was considering AEW’s offer the first time, wasn’t he? If he still wants to wrestle he may as well roll the dice. He’s done everything he could do in WWE. There’s nothing on the horizon that excites me. If nothing else, he seems a funny guy in real life. It all else fails let him have a laugh with your Danhausens and Orange Cassidys. It’s got to be better than him pulling angry faces and shouting GRIT into the camera.

It won't be Sexton Hardcastle that's for sure ?

He was someone heavily linked to AEW. How much of that was playing both sides to get the best deal out of WWE with no real AEW interest we'll never know.

  • Paid Members
Posted
2 hours ago, Supremo said:

I’d have two major concerns, the first being the name. Assuming he wouldn’t be allowed to use, “Edge,” I can’t think of a single wrestler who would feel weirder using anything other than his WWE name. Arguably even more than Big Show, he feels pure WWE, through and through. I’m sure I’d get used to it eventually, but him coming in as Adam Copeland sounds so bizarre. I can’t think of a clever workaround, either. Redge? Sledge? The Ledge…end?

Edge Cage. They are brothers after all. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Call him Ethan Kenobi, and have a lady with a mysterious sounding voice say that at the beginning of his theme song. 

Posted
3 hours ago, The King of Old School said:

Just call him "E" and be done with it

I’m fully on board with Edge’s recreational drug era.

”They told me when I came to AEW that I needed something new, so I took E… because I needed something just to take the Edge off…”

Posted (edited)

It’s WWE, they do emotion exceptionally well and they did again. 
 

It doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things obviously, but it was clearer than ever last night that Cody Rhodes is the beating heart of the company. Stood next to Triple H at the top of the show, trusted to deliver the hardest promo of the night (eulogising Funk on what was really Wyatt’s night) and generally front up one of the hardest nights in the company’s recent history. He should be their champion. Or rather, he should have the belt - he’s essentially their Champion anyway.

Surprised no social media posts or video appearances from Roman, especially given how closely he’s worked with Wyatt. I hope he does something when he’s back.

I couldn’t stop thinking how many times Triple H or Rey Mysterio would have had to do the ten bell salute thing. Triple H looked so sad.

Wyatt video package was typically beautiful.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...