Royal Rumble 2019 discussion

HarmonicGenerator

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, I can't help but be excited. It's Rumble time!

Despite not being overly impressed by Balor in most of his NXT/WWE run, I'm really liking this late change from Strowman vs. Lesnar to Balor vs. Lesnar. Historically, Brock seems to put his working boots on against smaller indy darlings for some reason (maybe because Heyman respects them? Dunno). But Lesnar vs. Punk, Lesnar vs. Styles and Lesnar vs. Bryan were all belters, so expecting similar here.

Like Styles vs. Bryan won't be great. Every match they've had over the last few months has gotten progressively better, and now with Bryan firmly established in his heel role, on a big stage like the Rumble, it should be an excellent dynamic.

Speaking of big stages, I'm hearing that Chase Field has a unique set-up, akin to Wrestlemania XIX almost with the angled ramp. It's a simple thing, but a unique look to the show will give it a much better atmosphere and feel IMO.

Looking down the card, everything has potential if given time. They've done a good job piquing my interest in Rousey vs. Banks the past couple of weeks. Very little chance of Banks winning, but I have no doubt it'll do well in the snowflakes department.

The Cruiserweight Fatal 4 Way could really be excellent, too. This would normally be the point where I complain about the poor 205 Live guys getting pre-showed, but with a card this loaded, I actually don't begrudge it too much. Buddy Murphy has been a treasure over the past year, long may his reign continue.

All the great things I've mentioned, all without mentioning the Rumble Matches themselves. They should be lovely, as per usual. I wonder if Pat Patterson has an understudy? (avoid the easy jokes, guys) It's my understanding that he essentially structures and agents the Rumbles, or at least has a heavy hand in it. Ideally, someone is able to take the reigns when he's gone, Pat's no spring chicken.

The only thing on the whole card that I'm not that sold on is Shane/Miz vs. The Bar. Unsure if it's leading to Shane vs. Miz at Mania or not, I really hope not. He may have inspired my username some 15 years ago, but I have little desire to see Shane O Mac in the ring these days.

On 1/25/2019 at 10:03 AM, air_raid said:

What they really could do with to make it a bigger deal is to actually enforce that the winner's title shot goes on last, since 8 out of the last 10 Rumble winners where they have been two World titles, have not closed the show. Winning the Rumble could be so much bigger if it actually was "challenges in THE MAIN EVENT" of WrestleMania and not "make one of the title matches we want, probably not the one which goes on last, which is the bigger match and "doesnt need" (ugh) the Rumble winner to be in it to make it a big deal."

That would make the winners even more obvious, and restricts more of the roster. There's no way Nakamura would've won last year if it guaranteed him the chance to sleepwalk his way to and through the Mania show-closer.

It's impossible to guarantee going on last at Mania as the prize now anyway because there are two Rumbles.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, King Pitcos said:

That would make the winners even more obvious, and restricts more of the roster. There's no way Nakamura would've won last year if it guaranteed him the chance to sleepwalk his way to and through the Mania show-closer.

And yet Nakamura winning last year was still obvious. One of a very small number of times I've actually bet on wrestling (2 fold with Asuka, obviously).

• Paid Members

I was hoping Joe would win and we'd get Joe Vs Bryan at Mania. Although I'd take Joe Vs Lesnar, as long as it wasn't like the one they had last year. 

I'd like to see Ronda and Becky costing each other the title matches, then Charlotte winning the rumble. Asuka and Charlotte 2, Banks and Bailey on the pre show then Ronda and Becky as main event.

Surprise entrant to be Pete Dunne, who gets the iron man treatment. Him breaking fingers so wrestlers can't hold onto the ropes would be something new. If Reigns is healthy he is the obvious choice to win, saw a recent photo of him and he looks in great shape. I think when he first had it he managed to overcome it pretty quick so it is a possibility. Velveteen Dream is my outside pick to win, but Seth, Drew or Cena are more likely 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

I'd like to see Ronda and Becky costing each other the title matches, then Charlotte winning the rumble. Asuka and Charlotte 2, Banks and Bailey on the pre show then Ronda and Becky as main event.

Surprise entrant to be Pete Dunne, who gets the iron man treatment. Him breaking fingers so wrestlers can't hold onto the ropes would be something new. If Reigns is healthy he is the obvious choice to win, saw a recent photo of him and he looks in great shape. I think when he first had it he managed to overcome it pretty quick so it is a possibility. Velveteen Dream is my outside pick to win, but Seth, Drew or Cena are more likely 

A surprise Rumble return for Roman could be like Cena's return. Shame we know Truth is number 30.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

A surprise Rumble return for Roman could be like Cena's return. Shame we know Truth is number 30.

I refuse to believe for a second that R-Truth will end up as #30. He's gonna get got backstage.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I refuse to believe for a second that R-Truth will end up as #30. He's gonna get got backstage.

Maybe he trots out there and immediately gets eliminated?

Archived