Royal Rumble 2019 discussion

HarmonicGenerator

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, TheShape said:

I can only assume, the big surprise was Nia being beaten up, The sexist pigs lapped it up.

People trying to infer what political message they should take from it was the best part.

I’ve seen, so far, four distinct groups:

1) ‘Love it. Back to the attitude era boys, women are just tits, holes and something to punch. Woo Fucking Hoo.’

2) ‘Love it. Women’s revolution is really taking off now. This is true equality. If Emmeline Pankhurst herself was alive, she’d be wearing unflattering spandex, beating up rappers and taking area code related offense from a Hispanic midget.’

3) ‘Hate it. I guess it’s just back to the attitude era, boys. Women are just tits, holes and something to punch. Boo Fucking Hoo. Sexist oppressors’

4) ‘Hate it. Fucking feminazis. Get your militant vaginas out of my face. They smell of lentils and protest. Hippies.’

Which is all stupid, obviously, as the clear winner is hidden group no.5: ‘It really doesn’t matter one way or the other, but fucking hell Nia Jax is shit.’

It was a solid enough show, the Rumble winners were very predictable bu you can't argue that they weren't the right ones nonetheless. I

It was just far too long again though. The crowd were on its arse for AJ Styles v Daniel Bryan for crying out loud, that wasn't the position for a fairly slow paced 25 minute title rematch and it suffered as a result. 

As I said, the Rumble winners were the right ones, they've got an easy way to get to Rousey v Becky v Charlotte with Becky interjecting herself into the rumble and as for the men's, I would probably prefer to see Rollins v Bryan to be honest but obviously expecting him to face Brock.

Brock v Balor did get the crowd back into things and even though I'm not a fan of these short matches, it was good for what it was. Asuka v Becky was probably just about the best match on the show overall.

I just didn't get any of it. None of it made any sense, just stupid fucking booking.

Also, whoever directed that show needs sacking. They missed pretty much every single Rumble entrance. When the buzzer goes, I want to see the entrance, not the fucking ring and the crowd. Most music today is so similar, for 2 or 3 seconds I had no idea who was coming in until they cut to the entrance. A bollocks show, saved only by Balor/Brock

Funniest part of the Nia stuff was the wrestlers trying their best to look confused/conflicted and Michael Cole scrambling to cover for them.

All in all I enjoyed the show about as much as I could. Guess I just need to accept these marathon PPV''s.

Asuka tapping Becky is fine by me. Becky is hot enough not to be damaged by it and Asuka was desperately in need of a major win.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Asuka tapping Becky is fine by me. Becky is hot enough not to be damaged by it and Asuka was desperately in need of a major win.

Asuka can still win without fearless Beck Austin having to tap. 

That finish should have been her passing out, not quitting. Its kinda the opposite to how she's been booked, imo.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

The crowd on the night didn't seem particularly bothered so I don't think it's worth getting annoyed with really. Now if Becky had tapped and lost/didn't make the Rumble I'd be agreeing with you.

Despite me commenting, it doesn't annoy me.

Just seems an obvious, easy fix for the situation. Takes no shine from Asuka and makes the Woman you're pushing look strong in defeat. 

Meh. 

• Paid Members

That Women’s rumble was by far the worst Rumble they’ve ever had. Outside of the final 6 you may as well have put 24 cardboard cutouts in the ring. Blown spot after blown spot, that Maria/Fox bit, the dead crowd, that lass that looked about 10. Embarrassing.

Hornswoggle got the biggest pop outside of Lynch winning. Can you imagine how gutted they are that a leprechaun from 10 years ago is more over than the majority of them.

Men’s Rumble was bang average but at least the crowd were into it. Rest of the card was a quiet bore outside of Shane huffing and puffing his way to a tag belt.

Asuka needed the strong decisive win to cement her reign. Becky, who’s steamrolled through everything in her path for months, is likely heading to Raw and is putting over the Smackdown women champ on her way out. Plus Asuka has to pull out some crazy death move to get the victory. Lynch didn’t want her neck snapped and tapped to fight another day. Which she did. I though it was a damm good finish.

• Paid Members

The deepest talent pool they've probably ever had, a near seven hour show featuring nearly a hundred top-tier wrestlers from across the planet, and do you know who was the best worker of them all? Fit Finlay. Him umm'ing and arr'ing before he eventually gestured for Becky to enter the match was the moment of the year so far. Executed perfectly to the pop of the night, you could tell Becky was struggling to stay in character and not grin from ear to ear as she marched down. And who could blame her? What a fucking thrill that must've been. An amazing moment. Perfect pro wrestling.

Becky's entrance and eventual victory saved what was a pretty long, boring and uneventful Women's Royal Rumble. Then Nia Jax did the exact opposite when the Men's Rumble was similarly lacking. It needed something big at the end and they went with...Nia? Fuck off.

I guess Seth winning is the best choice they have available but you sense it's about a year too late and no amount of rehabbing his character is going to wash off the stink of that Ambrose feud. Usually in the Rumble, the ring fills up with midcarders and then every now and then a proper star appears. This is the first year in ages where everyone felt like a midcarder and no-one stood out as above the others. At the end, when Seth and Braun were fighting to almost no reaction, I started to wonder how much Goldberg would cost for another run. They need someone like him badly right now.

Becky tapping out certainly wouldn't have been how I'd have scripted it, but I take solace in the idea that they wanted to give Asuka a big win in order to get her ready for a Wrestlemania rematch with Charlotte, leaving Ronda and Becky to have the one-on-one match it deserves to be. I like Charlotte but she needs to jog on here. Becky vs. Ronda is the match.

Let's hope Becky has a better match with Ronda than Sasha though because I thought their match was mostly terrible. Easily Ronda's worst PPV match so far. I don't know what the problem was but it felt sloppy and disjointed throughout. I remember loving Charlotte vs. Ronda at Survivor Series because it felt like a proper fight between girls who hated each other. I've no idea if there's anything to it, but here it felt like girls who legitmately didn't like each other struggling to get on the same page in order to have a good match. They didn't click at all and if both Sasha and Ronda hadn't build up so much goodwill in their careers then I think more people would be calling out how amateurish a lot of this looked. Sasha always has that weird ability to sometimes have great matches and other times look like a sloppy backyarder. Unfortunately, it was the latter here.

Shane McMahon and The Miz is my favourite storyline in wrestling right now. I loved how overboard their celebration was. It's gonna be so good when Shane eventually turns on poor Miz. Maybe Shane can beat up his goofy Dad or something.

Finn and Brock was fun but Finn looked a right dickhead not bringing out The Demon. Brock as champion has completely jumped the shark, too. I felt they might as well have given Finn the win here because the longer Brock holds the belt the less important it feels. They've made his character and reign so toxic that they'd be better just ending it already. It's proper go-away heat at this point. Finn in full makeup holding the belt, having slayed the beast? Fuck yeah. Seth beating Brock at Mania to a tepid reaction after months of Leukemia references from Heyman? No thanks.

Bryan and AJ was great and I'm fully down with Bryan leading Harper and Rowen as a faction of militant vegans.

Overall it was a good show but five hours for a main show and seven hours if you include the pre-show is too fucking long, especially when you're desperately lacking in proper stars. If you watch this show it feels like there's Becky, Ronda and then everyone else is miles below.

Archived