Royal Rumble 2019 discussion

HarmonicGenerator

I thought Becky/Auska & AJ/Bryan were really dull. Crowd couldn't have cared less for either of them.

Enjoyed the tag title match, looking forward to see where it goes. I hope they dont rush and break it up for a Mania match, have them defend the titles there.

Brock/Balor & Ronda/Sasha were brilliant, it's so clear who the real stars in this company are it's not even funny. You have Ronda & Brock then everyone else is on the same level.

Both rumbles were a complete dud, but both had the correct winners i think. Hard to get excited for Becky winning because everone on the planet knows that Charlotte will get included in the match so whats the point?

There was no other candidate in the mens so Rollins winning is fine, he was probably the most over anyway.

Where was the big suprise that was being rumoured?

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Jericho's the last person who should be criticising someones gut hanging out.

Speaking of guts, how has no one mentioned Jeff Jarrett turning up?! He was squeezed into that top,  but it was pretty awesome. 

• Paid Members

Becky/Rousey has to main event Wrestlemania now. Can't wait for the build up for that. 

There wasn't a lot wrong with either Rumble (apart from Nia Jax in the men's Rumble. She is absolutely awful). I agree that there weren't a huge amount of big stars/surprises but I was all for the influx on NXT stars making appearances, the majority of which got a thoroughly decent showcase. Pete Dunne, for instance, did a good turn in the men's Rumble, and Kacy Catanzaro did well with her time too. Was hoping for a couple more nostalgia pops but other than that, you've got to give the younger talent a chance to shine, and for once they shined a spotlight on many of those in the main event of one of its biggest PPVs, so I'm all for it. 

Brock/Balor was great. I've been very critical of Lesnar for various reasons in the past, but this told a simple, yet effective story and for the most part Finn's bumps looked relatively safe. I actually think the belly to belly throws look even better than the German suplexes, and I'm sure they're a lot less risky to take too. Rematch with the demon next month would be great if Lesnar's sticking around for that. 

I thought Bryan/AJ was disappointing, but it was also a tough spot to be in on a show running that long. Feel like they need to freshen things up for AJ now. 

Good show overall but the running length is just absolute torture. I didn't even watch it live, but even starting at 7:30 I was knackered by the end of it. I get it, you've got two Rumbles and a bunch of other stuff to fit in, but these marathons are a madness. 

• Paid Members

Brock Lesnar, unsurprisingly, was in the best match of the show yet again. Brock gets infinitely more hate than he deserves. He damn well should be holding the belt as he's ten times the star everyone else is. He should hold it for the next five years as well and we should all consider ourselves grateful he wants to leave the Canadian mountains at all. Brock Vs Balor was several steps ahead of everything else on this card.

Admittedly though, the show delivered under expectations. The women's Rumble was one of the worst matches you're ever likely to see on a top WWE PPV. Other than the ending it was an absolute mess. 

The men's Rumble was better worked, but not a patch on last year's match. As others have said, it felt like a kid card battle royal. It was very like the 93, 94, & 95 Rumbles, where you can see the stark drop off in star power from 92, but 2019 didn't feel like it had it's Yoko/Savage, Bret/Luger or Davey/Shawn. Rollins and Strowman would have been it, but both are such cooler than they were. I don't know,aybe it was the stadium and the marathon show. They got the right winner in the end, but not the most interesting of Rumble matches. 

Daniel Bryan Vs AJ wasn't as good as their TLC match. It didn't really get close to it either. A decent enough bout, but not up to the level that they set for themselves when in there with a quality opponent. 

Nia Jax in the men's Rumble? Complete bollocks. She's fucking shite and we had seen enough of her already earlier in the show and then she's out there throwing Mustafa Ali? Thank fuck I wasn't actually expecting a surprise. Dolph Ziggler being in the final three whilst eliminating Drew, as well as Baron Corbin, Jeff Jarrett and Jeff Hardy being three of my Rumble lottery draws and being completely useless out there can go and lick a toilet bowl too. 

I was really looking forward to this year's show. I expected it to be long, and it was, but it also wasn't as good as I had hoped, which makes the length much more noticeable. I do feel though that WWE came out of the show with all their pieces in the correct place and the ducks all in a nice little row, so that's a good thing. 

@WeeAl you made a fair point and I agree and disagree at the same time. I agree he IS the only star they truly have, but that’s down to their piss-poor attempts at star making. 

I disagree about him keeping it, as imo he is devaluing the belt. He has real “ just piss off” heat with me now as he clearly hates being there but loves the massive cheques. And for a champion to have fans now bored of his defences, that’s not good heat. I honestly feel Drew is the only one credible enough to properly challenge him, he’s imposing enough, works a credible and believable style, and hasn’t been sullied with multiple failed title shots. Just  as long as he doesn’t get bogged down by ol’ Noodle hair Ziggler 😡

• Awards Moderator

I enjoyed it, for the main. As someone’s already said, Finlay’s indecision on letting Becky enter was perfectly executed. The match itself was crap, but I think everyone was just waiting to see how she’d enter and once she did, the whole thing felt the big deal it should have been.

Ivy Brennan in the last three of the men’s was abysmal and the fact that the crowd was all over Nia getting duffed up by theee blokes shows how she’s perceived. Nothing to do with her size or her gender. She’s just absolutely awful. Her turn in the women’s match was one bad Samoan Drop after another. Not one of them looked safe.

Aside from that, it was good to see Brock turn up and make Balor a credible opponent by going full-on Alan Brazil and looking like he was taken to the max.

Also, I loved the angled runway. Reminded me of a few PPVs as a kid.

I’d have been frigged had I been there. Mania will be longer but if Becky/Rousey main events, they’ll have to pace the show really well to make sure everyone’s still in the mood.

EDIT: Shane’s Shooting Star Press! That was absolutely mad.

• Paid Members

You've been worked, mate. If Brock hated being there then every match would be a three minute squash. He wouldn't be out there having absolute belters with AJ, Bryan and Finn. If anything, he looks more motivated at the moment than he has done in a while. Probably because he's no longer stuck in fucking groundhog day, forever wrestling Roman in front of fans shitting on them both because of the dog shit writing.

I agree that Brock needs to lose the belt but it's not because he doesn't care about the business or any of that type of shit. It's because in their attempt to get Roman cheered they've completely fucked his character. They've pushed the perception that he's lazy and he doesn't want to be there and all that nonsense and it's ruined him. He was easily their biggest attraction, always getting star reactions, whereas now he just feels toxic and the crowd don't really care one way or the other. They told the fans to not care about him in the hope they'd start caring about Roman instead, but it bombed spectacularly and now he's left in a worse state than his teeth. 

He needs a hard reset. Have Heyman turn on him or something. Doing the same schtick doesn't work now they've sabotaged his character. 

• Paid Members

I think we'll get a good look at whether or not Vince still has anything left with this Ronda v Becky match. On launch, it's the biggest match on the show and easily the closer. So far, so good.

The show itself I was really enjoying up until the middle of the Men's Rumble match, but for the most part, you can't really have too many gripes. Even Becky tapping isn't as horrid as some will try and say it is, even if it made Becky winning the Rumble as subtle as a train coming down a dark tunnel. They made such a tit of Asuka after Mania last year and she badly needed some credibility back. They've clearly scrambled together another Asuka push to save the Smackers Women's match.

I’m pleased I’m not the only one that wasn’t really into the Men’s Rumble. No one seemed to have any momentum going in and as it went on and on and on it felt as star-starved as an AEW roster reveal, without the addition of a huge game-changer like Chris Jericho. The final four turning out to be Ziggler, Braun, Andrade and Rollins was like going to Greggs and finding out they’ve sold out of Sausage Rolls, Pies and Bakes, so you have to make do with a yellow-stickered Egg Mayo Sandwich, with the Rollins win being the pube you have to unhook after your last bite. Ziggler is Ziggler, Braun spent the year getting cold, Andrade was never winning and I doubt Rollins will ever erase the bile he's accumulated with me from one of the worst WWE title runs. Rollins is pure dweeb.

Brock carried Balor to his best match in WWE. It's one of those well done matches where I think it does everybody a favour, even if Balor is probably facing Lashey at Mania. I'm sure this will do wonders for Balor going forward in Vince's mind. Although Balor should definitely launch the IC title at Vince; Balor will probably get a shag off Linda for that.

Bryan v AJ was a good match, but sadly the crowd just weren’t into it at all. I’m hoping they go full 2019 with the Rowan addition and have him “punch a Nazi” because someone is wearing a hat and drinks Bovril.

Rollins can piss off, but a good, stupidly long show.

• Paid Members

The saddest sight of the night was Dean Ambrose's entrance. Poor bastard. Remember when he came back before Summerslam looking the business? I'd have pinned him as a potential Rumble winner then. Now though? About as much chance as Curt Hawkins. Do they even acknowledge his marriage to Renee Young anymore? Or has he fallen so far down the card that they don't want to harm her crediblity by admitting she's married to such a loser?

I’m just glad they didn’t do what some people were hoping and have Becky win the men’s Rumble. That’s the sort that Russo would book.  “no-one would expect it bro!”, no they wouldn’t, because it would have been shit. I’m guessing there is going to be some shinannigans en route to Wrestlemania for Becky, because how the fuck did Finlay have the authority to put her into the Rumble match.

The Women’s match showed just how little depth they actually have on the main roster to fill 30 spots. They could get away with it last year with the returning “legends” for the first ever one, but this had 9 entrants from outside of  the main roster (including ‘Free Agents Evans and Cross and Maria whose a valet). That’s nearly a third of the field that the crowd are either relatively unfamiliar or completely unfamiliar with. Compare that to the 4 in the men’s Rumble (3 from NXT and Jarrett).

The men’s Rumble itself seemed to act as them trying to establish ‘this is what we have now’ rather than depending on your Hurricanes or DDPs to get a nostalgia pop. But having said that, it doesn’t leave much hope of anyone from that lot being seen as a star. Don’t get me wrong, there are some very good people in that field, but none of them are stars.

Lesnar/Balor - Seriously, did anyone honest think Balor was winning this? There was no way that Brock was dropping the belt this close Mania. And yeah, Balor gave him a bit of a kicking and then got submitted, but just look at the pair of them! In a straight up, Lesnar would take him down and probably rip Balor’s arm off, the match was exactly what it needed to be. It unfortunately also foreshadowed that the Rumble was definitely being won by a RAW guy and that Bryan is defending the belt at Elimination Chamber, because isn’t wasting his time show up that or Fastlane

Asuka/Becky was a good but not great opener

Styles/Bryan again good but could’ve been better and Bryan’s now got himself a Hodor

70FE910F-84A4-40D4-9F92-E94A65DBBFE7_zps

Rousey/Banks was really good, it’ll be a shame if Rousey does leave as is being speculated

The preshow: Roode & Gable in a non-title match against one of the Authors of Pain and one of The Revival? Just do a triple threat...or do neither, both would’ve better choices. Rusev dropped the US belt to Naka, seemingly just to set up the angle that got Becky into the Rumble, and the Cruiserweight 4 Way didn’t deliver like I hoped it. I haven’t seen Itami for a while, and he looks to have gotten rather doughy

Archived