Royal Rumble 2019 discussion

HarmonicGenerator

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oof.

I’m sure a lot of people are going to retrospectively talk shit about this event, which is probably unfair.

I quite enjoyed it throughout, but the men’s Rumble was just wrong. It wasn’t bad per se, it just felt like the most mid card of things and then by the end I had this massive realization - they are out of big cards to play at Mania season.

The WWE model pretty much revolves around Jan - April, and the ability to pull gold bunnies out of platinum arseholes. Yet... they’ve got nothing.

Nia Jax? Fucking hell.

...and Nakamura dresses like a cosplay Kane.

So they book Finn to give Lesnar a fairly serious kicking, sell his real life stomach issues, then he gets submitted. Sure he looked good in defeat, but fuck me, can’t they book ANYONE to go over him clean? That title means nothing to me as he has devalued it. 

And Drew gets eliminated by fucking Ziggles? When is he gonna actually carry out his threats and just fuck off? My kid will be happy Rollins won, so there is that. 

Theres just no big stars anymore. Sure, there’s names like Hardy,Orton, Mysterio...but they’ve had their time at the top. Drew, Rollins and Strowman are pretty much all they have , for me, and they just seem too reluctant to pull the trigger on them properly. 

AJ/Bryan was ok. Despite their talents, the match just didn’t click for me. 

Rumble entrants in spoiler tags below - CAUTION, NOT spoiler free completely

1. Lacey Evans
2. Nattie
3. Mandy Rose
4. Liv Morgan *
5. Mickie James
6. Ember Moon
7. Billie Kay
8. Nikki Cross
9. Peyton Royce
10. Tamina
11. Xia Li (NXT)
12. Sarah Logan *
13. Charlotte
14. Kairi Sane
15. Maria *
16. Naomi Uso
17. Candice LaRea
18. Alicia Fox
19. Kacy Cantazaro
20. Zelina Vega
21. Ruby Riott
22. Dana Brooke 
23. Io Shirai
24. Rhea Ripley
25. Sonya DeVille
26. Alexa Bliss
27. Bayley
28. Lana (injured earlier, didn't make it in)
29. Nia Jax
30. Carmella

SWERVE - 31. Becky Lynch

1. Elias
2. Jeff Jarrett
3. Shinsuke
4. Kurt Angle
5. Big E
6. Johnny Gargano
7. Jinder Mahal
8. Samoa Joe
9. Curt Hawins
10. Seth Rollins
11. Titus O'Neill
12. Kofi Kingston
13. Mustafa Ali
14. Dean Ambrose
15. No Way Jose
16. Drew McIntyre
17. Xavier Woods
18. Pete Dunne
19. Andrade (Cien Almas)
20. Apollo Crews
21. Aleister Blsck
22. Shelton
23. Baron Corbin
24. Jeff Hardy
25. Rey Mysterio
26. Bobby Lashley
27. Braun Strowman
28. Ziggles 
29. Randy Orton
30. R Truth (taken out by)

31. Swerve - Nia Jax

• Paid Members

As a show top to bottom, I really enjoyed it. I could have done without Becky tapping out, without the middle of the women's rumble and without the men's being so utterly obvious and definitely without No Way Jose and the NXT overkill. They're gripes though, this was as good as it could be.

Ronda Rousey is amazing. Simply incredible. Believe every move.

• Paid Members

Seemed a bit shit that have Becky tap clean then get lucky that a spot opened up in the Rumble. 

Without getting all wanky smart, could they not have just had her pass out, rather than admit defeat.

Would have been a better story going into the Rumble. 

• Paid Members

Had some spare time this morning so watched both rumbles. Katy Catanzaro, though green, was quite impressive in how agile she is. The handstand on the ropes was a good spot, however, the whole 'both feet haven't touched the floor' shtick is getting very tiresome, especially as they're not even trying now by having people land on their back with their feet in the air. 

I winced at Ember Moon kicking Rhea Ripley square in the face. Rhea seemed to stiff her a few times afterwards from what it seems. Was very impressed with Rhea and how much bigger and imposing she looks compared to others. There's something very unlikable about Lacey Evans (not in a heel way, just in general), I cant quite put my finger on it. It may be the whole 'patriotic military veteran' gimmick that WWE have a hard on for.

Mens Rumble was quite lackluster as well and seemed to highlight the difference in style and presentation that the NXT / NXT UK lot have compared to those from the main roster. Pete Dunne and Alaister Black in particular looked great. Black seems to have gotten in tremendous shape over the last year. I was getting rather giddy waiting for Velveteen Dream at number 30 before i remembered that R-Truth had that spot. As soon as he started performing at the top of the ramp i was waiting for someone to take him out. Highly disappointed that it was Nia bloody Jax that did it. She took a good RKO, though in fairness to her. Pete Dunne and Samoa Joe having some interaction has made me really want to see a feud between them.

Will give the other matches on the card a viewing at some point, but 5 hours for a PPV is ridiculous (7+ including the preshow). 

EDIT: Its 2019 and we had both Finlay and Hornswoggle on the show, brilliant. Who would have thought that?

7 minutes ago, Nick James said:

EDIT: Its 2019 and we had both Finlay and Hornswoggle on the show, brilliant. Who would have thought that?

WWE clearly doing their bit yesterday for American/Irish relations, after the Azelia Banks controversy!

My major problem with the two Rumble Matches was the commentary.  Nothing was made to feel special or a big deal, it was truly reminiscent of listening a rumble playout on a 2K video game.  Eliminations just occured without any selling from the announce team and no emotion or hype was put forward for anyone that entered.

On a sidenote - is there any recovery for Dean Ambrose now?  Looked like a massive afterthought out there 

Dolph Ziggler ruins another rumble!

When it gets down to the last 6 or so entrants I generally start to count up whose been announced left to enter, the men’s rumble left me with one entrant left who was a complete mystery to me, this happened last year to with Dolph coming in at No.30 

2019 and he’s in your final 3?  Fuck Off.

Buddy Murphy wants to be Kenny Omega so much it annoys me.

Show felt very tiresome at times, I fell asleep during the Bryan/Styles match and woke up to a close up of Erick Rowan In Daniel Bryan cosplay and wish I didn’t.

Enjoyed Ronda/Sasha

The Male Rumble had a few NXT surprises but other then that it felt like a bunch of mid careers fighting it out for a US Title Shot in a battle royal.

They have Kacy a lot of time in the women’s rumble, she’s green but when she finally puts it all together she’ll be a star.  Glad to see Io for a bit and Kairi square off with Charlotte.

What was this big surprise that was supposed to happen then? I avoided the internet in the hope I’d get a shock at some point but nothing happened.

Also the old biddy in the front row dancing and clapping along to everyone’s themes like she was at a wedding.

Archived