All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

David Benoit and Jericho are good mates by looks of it, so not really interesting.

Posts like this are certainly interesting though 

https://www.instagram.com/p/ldZhrhio2z/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1rjbi66lfxlql

https://www.instagram.com/p/lTyinTCo2Y/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1cqf6row0dbb2

Edited by UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members

I'm sure I read that David Benoit was training with Lance Storm. I just can't imagine any major promoter touching him. A minor, shitty independent promoter though? Surely one of them would be willing to do a Chris Benoit Ghost gimmick. Poor lad seems mad enough to probably go for it, too.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, AdamTH17 said:

Makes sense, to be honest. They know their hardcore fan-base will buy anything quirky because of the "one of us!!" mentality. 

It's a good strategy. There've been several promotions who've been able to punch above their talent's level by cultivating a sense of "family" or "belonging". ECW are the most infamous one of these, but RoH managed to do it, as did FWA, and 1PW too.

AEW's been very canny, using BTE and All In to cultivate the similar "stick it to the McMahon" sentiment in their potential fanbase. And the IWC are the best demographic to market for if you want to sell the more expensive merch.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, UK Kat Von D said:

David Benoit and Jericho are good mates by looks of it, so not really interesting.

Posts like this are certainly interesting though 

https://www.instagram.com/p/ldZhrhio2z/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1rjbi66lfxlql

https://www.instagram.com/p/lTyinTCo2Y/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1cqf6row0dbb2

All I get from this is he is a fan of really shitty photoshopping 

• Paid Members

Shit, just saw those IG posts. If I was a promoter, I wouldn't have him anywhere near my company if he was posting stuff like that. At best, he'd be a PR nightmare, and at worst, he's not of a mindset I'd want in the locker-room.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Supremo said:

I'm sure I read that David Benoit was training with Lance Storm. I just can't imagine any major promoter touching him. A minor, shitty independent promoter though? Surely one of them would be willing to do a Chris Benoit Ghost gimmick. Poor lad seems mad enough to probably go for it, too.

Some shit arse Promoter actually booked him in a match against Chavo a few years ago, despite him having absolutely no training. It got cancelled when Jericho found out about it and basically shamed everybody involved.

I do feel for the guy though. I can't imagine how hard it must be to balance his memories of his Dad, who he clearly loved, with the knowledge of what he did. He's clearly in a lot of denial, certainly when it comes to his Dad's legacy and how he'll be remembered.

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, unfitfinlay said:

Some shit arse Promoter actually booked him in a match against Chavo a few years ago, despite him having absolutely no training. It got cancelled when Jericho found out about it and basically shamed everybody involved.

I do feel for the guy though. I can't imagine how hard it must be to balance his memories of his Dad, who he clearly loved, with the knowledge of what he did. He's clearly in a lot of denial, certainly when it comes to his Dad's legacy and how he'll be remembered.

Yeah, it was supposed to be David and Chavo against I think maybe Davey Boy Jr and someone? Smith Hart was promoting it, which is about all you need to know. Chavo pulled out when he found out David didn't have any training, though, not because of who he was.

He claims to have spoken with Vince McMahon in a production meeting who said he'd "definitely" use the Benoit name again, and that there was a lot of interesting things they could do with him, but by all accounts he's a complete fantasist. Never showed up to training after the first day, but still kept trying to get bookings, still seems completely in denial of anything his dad did.

It's obviously impossible to put yourself in his shoes, and if he really wants to become a wrestler it feels like a dick move to not allow him to based on what his father did. But his seeming inability to confront that, and the fact that he doesn't actually seem to have put any effort into becoming a wrestling but still angles to get bookings, kind of puts paid to that anyway.

I'd give any promoter advertising him for a show a real wide berth even if he was trained, though - you have to ask what people are hoping to achieve by advertising the Benoit name.

It's almost a shame, if he were trained and a little more well adjusted, that this is happening in this day and age. Perhaps once upon a time he could have stuck on a mask and we'd never have known who he was.

Not being funny or anything, but if my father did what his did, and I knew that there was a strong possibility that the blows to the head are what caused him to do what he did I'd be wanting as far away from the wrestling business as possible. It would just be an industry that reminded me of how fucked up my family ended up becoming. I'd probably never watch another wrestling show again.