All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

Realistically, who is likely to jump from WWE?  Apart from Taker, obvs? 

People who genuinely get no tv time would be my best guess.   Bray Wyatt might as well move on if his contract is up, the WWE clearly have no clue what do do with him.  Similarly, Luke Harper has a ton of upside and is never going to be a top guy in WWE.

Rather than chase Goldberg, CM Punk and other frankly past-it starts, AEW would be best to grab recognisable characters who can contribute plenty in the ring.  

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Loki said:

People who genuinely get no tv time would be my best guess.   Bray Wyatt might as well move on if his contract is up, the WWE clearly have no clue what do do with him.  Similarly, Luke Harper has a ton of upside and is never going to be a top guy in WWE.

Rather than chase Goldberg, CM Punk and other frankly past-it starts, AEW would be best to grab recognisable characters who can contribute plenty in the ring.  

They can certainly fill their midcard from NXT releases. Whilst they may not necessarily be top-level, WWE's Performance Centre training is such that even the people that don't make it to the main roster can probably get over massively elsewhere, and as WWE can't get everyone onto their roster, AEW can probably benefit from the overspill. Also, not every decision WWE makes to cut will necessarily be the right one; on occasion, they might release someone they shouldn't who then goes on to get over in another promotion as a main-eventer.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Loki said:

I still think Ziggler's the kind of nutter that if he's squirreled enough away to be secure in his future now, he'd put ego over wallet and take an offer from Elite if they said "you'll go on last a fair few times."

2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

WWE's Performance Centre training is such that even the people that don't make it to the main roster can probably get over massively elsewhere,

Do you think that might be problematic for something gearing up to be the alternative?  They will all be trained in WWE style and will come across that way, or maybe that's an indication of how WWE IS wrestling.

13 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Do you think that might be problematic for something gearing up to be the alternative?  They will all be trained in WWE style and will come across that way, or maybe that's an indication of how WWE IS wrestling.

Tough one.....I don't think its more problematic because more places to train is good for the industry. I've just read Matt Riddle quoted as saying "NXT Isn't "Watered Down" Like WWE". The quality of the in ring product at NXT leads me to believe that they train the talent in the performance centre to be able to wrestle a whole variety of styles, but talent tone it down when they hit the main roster - probably due to the grueling schedule.

I’m not doubting the performers/wrestlers ability to adapt or anything like that, but I guess my point is that the WWE style seems to be the default setting, for the west at least. 

I’d be interested to see how something that wasn’t along the WWE template would be received by a TV audience who only know that style. 

3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I’m not doubting the performers/wrestlers ability to adapt or anything like that, but I guess my point is that the WWE style seems to be the default setting, for the west at least. 

I’d be interested to see how something that wasn’t along the WWE template would be received by a TV audience who only know that style. 

Well time will tell.....because I doubt Kenny Omega is planning to on having 10 minute matches any time soon. If AEW is going for a more sports feel, more intense in ring style, bringing in AAA and OWE and try to be different, it will be interesting to see how WWE fans take to the action.

6 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I think the schedule is a great point, the less gruelling schedule does open up possibilities.

Personnally, I think It really is an exciting time to be both a wrestling fan and a wrestler. With different promotions to choose from with their own style of storytelling and in-ring action - the fans are the winner. Fans (and wrestlers) will gravitate towards the style of wrestling they like the most. WWE fans who have complained about the product for 10 years will either have an alternative and it will motivate Vince and HHH will genuinely create more compelling content. I hope NJPWs momentum isn't hurt by AEW too much - for this exact reason.

You bringing up the peformance centres is also a good point - not since WWE, WCW and ECW has there been so much talent available to promotions. I see the WWEs wrestling development programmes as nothing but beneficial to the whole industry.

• Paid Members

Where does "PURE SPORTS BUILD" fall in with dick wrestlers and "everything is a joke, look the cowboy boots are talking" philosophy that they spout on their youtube show? You've basically taught your fanbase that are buying the tickets to this thing that nothing really matters. How do you suddenly tell them "NO! You need to get behind this Bill Watts mentality now." Going to be interesting, because Jim Ross is no doubt joining the front office when his deal expires in a month or two. And if you thrust the power into his hands (and they've got so much respect for him, they'll probably bow to his experience), I cant see any of this shit flying with him.

Its weird, because I really like a lot of the decisions and promises they're making. Wrestling needs to be serious in the main angles, and wins and loses certainly need to mean more. But there seems to be this sudden shift in mentality. Makes you wonder in the long term if they will serve their masters or will not make anyone happy by trying to balance both types of philosophy.

41 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Where does "PURE SPORTS BUILD" fall in with dick wrestlers and "everything is a joke, look the cowboy boots are talking" philosophy that they spout on their youtube show? You've basically taught your fanbase that are buying the tickets to this thing that nothing really matters. How do you suddenly tell them "NO! You need to get behind this Bill Watts mentality now." Going to be interesting, because Jim Ross is no doubt joining the front office when his deal expires in a month or two. And if you thrust the power into his hands (and they've got so much respect for him, they'll probably bow to his experience), I cant see any of this shit flying with him.

Its weird, because I really like a lot of the decisions and promises they're making. Wrestling needs to be serious in the main angles, and wins and loses certainly need to mean more. But there seems to be this sudden shift in mentality. Makes you wonder in the long term if they will serve their masters or will not make anyone happy by trying to balance both types of philosophy.

The likelihood is that they say the "PURE SPORTS BUILD" stuff for no reason other than that's what you're supposed to say when you're coming out with a new wrestling promotion. Any start-up is a bit hamstrung as far as expectations, because the sentiment online since for years has been "WWE NEEDS TO BRING BACK THE ATTITUDE ERA RING OF HONOR JAPANESE WORKRATE" despite that not being a coherent thing. It's all just confused between people's memories of when they enjoyed wrestling (attitude era) and the stuff Dave Meltzer promotes as excellent. But WWE has spent the last five to ten years morphing more into ROH-style workrate wrestling, and it's boring as fuck for a weekly TV show. And TNA has spent a decade now rehashing attitude era type trash, and nobody cares for that either. And the stuff that really entertains jaded fans is the silly stuff that laughs at kayfabe, like New Day (for a while) or Santino or the BTE comedy. But as you've said, the different philosophies can't really co-exist in the same show. They might not do the wacky comedy on the actual shows, but if they don't have any of that, it'll be a letdown for a lot of their fanbase, me included. They've got some job ahead of them.

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

The likelihood is that they say the "PURE SPORTS BUILD" stuff for no reason other than that's what you're supposed to say when you're coming out with a new wrestling promotion. Any start-up is a bit hamstrung as far as expectations, because the sentiment online since for years has been "WWE NEEDS TO BRING BACK THE ATTITUDE ERA RING OF HONOR JAPANESE WORKRATE" despite that not being a coherent thing. It's all just confused between people's memories of when they enjoyed wrestling (attitude era) and the stuff Dave Meltzer promotes as excellent. But WWE has spent the last five to ten years morphing more into ROH-style workrate wrestling, and it's boring as fuck for a weekly TV show. And TNA has spent a decade now rehashing attitude era type trash, and nobody cares for that either. And the stuff that really entertains jaded fans is the silly stuff that laughs at kayfabe, like New Day (for a while) or Santino or the BTE comedy. But as you've said, the different philosophies can't really co-exist in the same show. They might not do the wacky comedy stuff on the actual shows, but if they don't have any of that, it'll be a letdown for a lot of their fanbase, me included. They've got some job ahead of them.

This is a typically far more eloquent and rounded way of making the point I've been banging on about for weeks, and why AEW, I think, will fail. Trying to find the balance of all this is, I think, a monumental task. Cody Rhodes is actually a decent shout to be trying to pull it off considering the experience he has, but everyone they have signed so far suggests to me this is just going to be another ROH-esque indie outfit that just happens to have more money behind it than any of the others. I can't see any way this can possibly be an alternative that the tons of other indies out there already are. It's just NXT in bigger buildings.

Edited by Devon Malcolm