All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, David said:

Not being funny or anything, but if my father did what his did, and I knew that there was a strong possibility that the blows to the head are what caused him to do what he did I'd be wanting as far away from the wrestling business as possible. It would just be an industry that reminded me of how fucked up my family ended up becoming. I'd probably never watch another wrestling show again.

I agree, but maybe he sees it a different way. He wants to be around the industry to try and promote his dad in a positive way and to keep highlighting what a great wrestler he obviously was - and a great dad, according to him.

He's doing a crap job, admittedly, but I sort of understand the method to his madness. 

• Paid Members

I try not to be too critical of him, because God knows what it must be like being in his shoes, but with that caveat in place, I 100% agree with @David.

Dragging this back to AEW discussion, I've yet more reason to be pessimistic coming off the back of AAA's Rey De Reyes.

While Cody had some minor interactions with AAA talent, the headlines were Cody saying that he wanted to bring Kenny Omega and Chris Jericho to AAA, and the Young Bucks winning the AAA tag belts to further their feud with the Lucha Bros.

While you can't fault a promotion keeping their name in the limelight in the absence of the super-lucrative TV deal that's yet to surface, none of this strikes me as the actions of a promotion wanting to work cohesively with their partners - it's a promotion using AAA to further their own business. It wasn't about which AAA names can come to AEW, or how AAA feeds into AEW, it was the other way around. That doesn't bode well, for me.

Beyond that, there's some interesting (to me, at least) political issues surrounding the AAA partnership anyway. I'm convinced that the only reason they're working with AAA is because AAA will still control some aspect of the TV contracts for Lucha Underground talent - meaning that, by working with them, AEW can put the Lucha Bros on TV. 
Because, if Kenny Omega and Chris Jericho are still able to work NJPW moving forward - as they've both hinted - I can't see how CMLL will allow them to appear on AAA shows, so something has to give there. A lot of people seem to assume that an AEW/NJPW working relationship is almost a certainty later down the line, but if they continue to do business with AAA, Dragon Gate and DDT, I don't see it, and that could well be to their detriment. 

The other odd political note from this show is that Jeff Jarrett is still working AAA events, despite being under WWE contract, and despite the AAA/AEW relationship. Which, amongst other things, makes me think that WWE aren't nearly as worried about AEW as so many people seem to think they are.

I cannot comprehend how anyone actually truly believes that AEW is a viable threat to WWE. They are an alternative at best, an alternative among a sea of other alternatives I hasten to add. 

Yeah Omega is a good signing but he is not exclusive by the sounds of it. 

The Bucks and Cody have their fanbases but are at risk of being exposed here.

Hangman, meh. 

Lucha Bros are in the same boat as Omega. 

Mid-life crisis Jericho won't make a dent. 

I understand when people get excited but the WWE is a global machine now. No one is strong arming Vince and when he does die HHH will scour the indies even more agressively. 

1 minute ago, BomberPat said:

The other odd political note from this show is that Jeff Jarrett is still working AAA events, despite being under WWE contract, and despite the AAA/AEW relationship. Which, amongst other things, makes me think that WWE aren't nearly as worried about AEW as so many people seem to think they are.

Without sounding like a smart arse, I think that anyone who legit believes WWE are worried about this new company are probably doing so more out of hope than anything else. 

Despite the revisionism we've seen of the Monday Night Wars, with all the chat about how WWE were just a small, family-run enterprise who ran their business on a handshake and a smile going up against the big bad billionaire in Ted Turner, even back then WWE was wrestling.

WCW got some licks in during the Monday Night Wars for sure, but that was more to do with WWE being the drizzling shits at the time and being incredibly complacent. Once they got their shit together and started caring about the product they put out to the masses the whole "war" came to an end pretty quickly.

As a company they'll always hold one huge advantage over the competition. That WWE/WWF is, in most casual viewers eyes, wrestling. I can't ever recall my grandad coming in from his work and commenting on me watching "that rubbish WCW stuff" on the telly. It was always the WWF. You even hear it today during football and boxing, when a bad tackle goes in or a boxer slams his opponent down or whatever, the commentator doesn't say "That's ridiculous, what are we watching here? Professional wrestling?!?" They say WWF. Or at a push WWE.

Today WWE has the market more cornered than ever before. They have their fingers in virtually every pie, with feeder organisations, international scouting and suchlike. More than ever WWE is pro wrestling, and I don't see any company ever changing that nowadays, no matter how much money they chuck at it.

Can this AEW be a success? Of course, but it's all relative. If they can operate at a profit then they're doing something right, but actually compete with WWE? Not a fucking chance.

• Paid Members

You're absolutely right.

And, to their credit, I don't think AEW themselves are really responsible for creating the notion of them as WWE-beaters. It's the social media idiots and clickbait headline writers, or Sportskeeda dolts (who fall somewhere in-between) talking in all seriousness about how AEW could sign Randy Orton, The Undertaker, Sting, Dean Ambrose and CM Punk.

I think WWE are obviously keeping an eye on them, but to no greater extent than they would any other promotion (and I use the word "promotion" advisedly given that they have still yet to run a show).

Edited by BomberPat

1 minute ago, BomberPat said:

Producing a T-shirt for a road agent months before you ever even hold a show is such top quality grifting I kind of have to applaud them.

Yep, we know Vince has a captive audience who will shell out continually but at least there is something to shell out for!  This honestly reminds me of Britain First and other assorted PayPal Patriots, they can release any old tosh and people will buy it to feel like they're part of a movement.