All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Do you think that might be problematic for something gearing up to be the alternative?  They will all be trained in WWE style and will come across that way, or maybe that's an indication of how WWE IS wrestling.

It is, and it isn't, in a way. They'll mostly be trained well in the fundamentals of how to tell stories in the ring, psychology, selling, character, etc. - you'd be surprised just how many indy darlings don't seem to display that kind of understanding. It could be problematic in terms of differentiating the style, but the overall promotion doesn't have to be about just the wrestling style - it's the presentation, TV format, big event format, booking, and so on. That WWE haven't been the same way all throughout its history shows that they can vary things up and not have it necessarily be about "pure sports" and such (although I really do like the idea of punditry and a newsroom). There are so many different modalities to play with, they don't have to be WWE-lite.

One potential bonus is that, through the working relationships, they might get to experience different wrestling styles from all over the world, be that Japan, Mexico, the UK, continental Europe, etc. Might help them gain a breadth of knowledge they might not otherwise get working in WWE.

But for the moment, I'd say the NXT overspill would serve to bolster their midcard; I reckon they'll have to build their main event roster from current big stars (however much money that requires throwing at free agents), and then once Double Or Nothing's out of the way, they can start working towards making homegrown main-eventers.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It's just NXT in bigger buildings.

I bet it's not even that. Their first couple of shows might be in decent venues as the initial buzz is there but I can't see AEW filling the same arenas NXT do with their Takeover shows. All In drew what, 10-11,000? Takeover has been averaging around 13,000 since the last time they had one at Full Sail.

17 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I bet it's not even that. Their first couple of shows might be in decent venues as the initial buzz is there but I can't see AEW filling the same arenas NXT do with their Takeover shows. All In drew what, 10-11,000? Takeover has been averaging around 13,000 since the last time they had one at Full Sail.

Aye for the Takeover shows which are quaterly or what ever it is and in the same city as the WWE PPV's

The normal NXT shows draw horrendously from the pics I've seen on twitter, just basic high school shows pulling in a couple hundred at best

20 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Where does "PURE SPORTS BUILD" fall in with dick wrestlers and "everything is a joke, look the cowboy boots are talking" philosophy that they spout on their youtube show? 

Wrestling needs to be serious in the main angles, and wins and loses certainly need to mean more.

You’ve answered your own question. The main angles should be serious, but fucking about on YouTube or mid card comedy acts aren’t going to effect that. 

Cody winning the NWA title was the perfect example. That match was a serious pure sports build, I don’t think people were confused between that story and the silly YouTube stuff. If doing comedy stuff actually ruined main event matches then Jericho/Omega shouldn’t have worked so well. Good writing will let them even transition one to the other, just look at when Owens turned on Jericho for another example of that 

Edited by UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members
On 2/15/2019 at 11:02 PM, unfitfinlay said:

Off the subject slightly, I remember reading a story in an old Observer about a wrestler who sent in tapes of him performing as "The Repo Man". The WWF liked the gimmick, but hated the guy so trademarked it and sent him a cease and desist. Poor guy must've been gutted when Darsow started using it.

They did the same for the Undertaker, twice - there was a tag team called The Undertakers who the WWF bought the name from, in exchange for them working a bunch of jobber matches in the early '90s, and they hired a guy who called himself "The Last Outlaw" just to buy the rights to his name to use in the build to one of 'Taker's Wrestlemania matches, then sacked him off.

I completely agree with Pitcos on the "PURE SPORTS BUILD" - it's just the shit you say about how wrestling "should be". Every promoter under the sun has offered it at some point, and nobody really knows what it would actually mean. Half the time you can probably get away with telling the fans that's what you're doing and, if you've got enough goodwill with them (as AEW certainly do, for whatever reason), they'll just believe you anyway. Look at early ROH - they promoted themselves as technical wrestling with zero gimmicks, then had a gay panic tag team from day one, and were booking Abdullah The Butcher in the main event less than a year in.

How well ex-WWE guys (if, indeed, AEW actually is after any and it's not all just gossip) would fit into AEW is an interesting one, and a real unknown quantity until we know what AEW looks like. We don't know what a Randy Orton or Dolph Ziggler outside of a WWE context looks like either.

As for ex-Performance Center talent - the question is whether AEW would be interested in those who signed to WWE with no prior wrestling experience (and if those talents would be interested in working for AEW) or just the ex-indie stars. In that case, I would think the main benefit of PC/NXT experience would be learning to work TV, and work to time, to a far greater extent than talent are expected to anywhere else.

I think, from WWE's perspective, they're aware of the danger of presenting too much of a cookie cutter approach by feeding everyone through the same training facility, which is why they have a training crew with a reasonably diverse background, and guest trainers from all over the place - everyone from Mike Quackenbush to Kendo Kashin to Johnny Saint.

• Paid Members

He used to be part of The Cutler Brothers and were PWG regulars around 2009-2011, just as the company was getting more attention, and had some belters with his brother against the likes of The Young Bucks & Peligro Abejas (Paul London & El Generico). 

Then they seemingly disappeared off the face of the Earth before 2012 even rolled round. I didn't even know he was still involved in the business, let alone active.

On 2/18/2019 at 10:14 AM, BomberPat said:

They did the same for the Undertaker, twice - there was a tag team called The Undertakers who the WWF bought the name from, in exchange for them working a bunch of jobber matches in the early '90s, and they hired a guy who called himself "The Last Outlaw" just to buy the rights to his name to use in the build to one of 'Taker's Wrestlemania matches, then sacked him off.

Was one of those the one who was offered something like 100k for the name but said he'd rather have a development deal, so they gave him a 70k a year one.  Then they released him about 2 months later because he and his attitude was shite, saving themselves about 90k in the process?  Anyone know what I'm on about or have I imagined this?

• Paid Members

Might need a thread title change.

AEW's application for the 'All Elite Wrestling' trademark has been given an initial refusal as they need to amend their classification and Identification of Goods and Services as some identifications they provided need to be clarified. They also need to pay the proper fee,as according to the USPTO, they classified 13 classes and only paid for 9. As well, a disclaimer is required that they are not claiming exclusive right to use the word "wrestling".

Their applications for 'AEW', the AEW logo and 'Change the Universe' have all been given initial refusals for the same amending of classification and Identification of Goods and Services, and paying the proper fee as above. 

In addition to the above two reasons, their trademark for 'AEW All Out' has also been given an initial refusal due to two pending active applications using the word 'All Out' which if registered might have an effect on AEW's application being registered.