Brexit

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Well played by Johnson here. He has never wanted a deal because he has to appease the ERG and the DUP. Ironically if you add those 2 sets of letters together you can make the word Purged but that's another story. 

So Boris couldn't support May's WA because he wanted to he PM and didn't want a deal. He was hamstrung by the Benn act that says if he didn't have a deal by Saturday that he had to ask for an extension, which he doesn't want. So now he has a deal the Benn act no longer applies, which is what he wanted, so now when his deal which he knows can't pass doesn't pass he can then leave without a deal on the 31st of October in full compliance with the Benn act and with other people to blame when it all goes tits up. 

The ERG and the DUP will be happy, the General Election that follows will see the Tories murder Labour because Corbyn is so inept and we can look forward to the NHS getting a rebrand as Trump Healthcare. 

Wonderful. 

4 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

So now he has a deal the Benn act no longer applies, which is what he wanted, so now when his deal which he knows can't pass doesn't pass he can then leave without a deal on the 31st of October in full compliance with the Benn act and with other people to blame when it all goes tits up. 

but doesn't the Benn act state that parliament have to approve the deal or agree to leaving with no deal by the 19th otherwise the extension is sought? so just because he's got a crap deal that probably won't go through doesn't  get him out of it, if they don't approve the deal then the extension has to be asked for. unless im getting it all massively wrong (i wouldn't rule that out)

• Paid Members

I believe that The Benn Act says he had to have a deal, not that it had to be ratified. The Benn Act has already been superseded. The May WA does not apply because it has been comprehensively rejected  by Parliament already. 

When The Benn Act was drawn up no one believed there would be any chance they would get a deal. 

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I believe that The Benn Act says he had to have a deal, not that it had to be ratified. The Benn Act has already been superseded.

They amended it this afternoon I think. EDIT: This is Letwin on the amendment that passed today:

"The purpose of the amendment here is very simple, it is to permit amendments to be moved, if selected by [the Speaker], on Saturday, and be voted upon.

And that will enable those of us, like me, who wish to support and carry through and eventually see the ratification of this deal, not to put us in the position of allowing the government off the Benn act hook on Saturday, but only at a time when the bill has been taken through both Houses of Parliament and legislated on."

Juncker is heavily implying that their won't be an extension because he wants the UK parliament to pass this deal. If it doesn't go through, I reckon an extension will be forthcoming. 

Edited by gmoney