Brexit

Devon Malcolm

3 hours ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

The IRA have just claimed responsibility for the bombs discovered in London and Glasgow. I fear this is only the start thanks to the situation with the Irish border.

The IRA? Say it ain't so. 

I know you probably didn't intent it to come across that official, but this was likely two fucking airheads with burn holes in their trackies putting packages together over a few cans. They're an unfortunate fringe nuisance with virtually no mandate whatsoever from anyone on this little green island.

'The' IRA - who I'm not defending either by any stretch - went way pass nWo 2000 status years and years ago. 

• Paid Members

As it hasn't been reported (that I have seen yet) which of the many versions of the IRA have made the claim it's hard for me to be more specific. 

However, the fact they have used recognised IRA codewords in the message would suggest at least it's a group with more than passing knowledge.

Either way, it's hard not to see this as a warning shot to take us back to the days of the Troubles  maybe I'm paranoid and over thinking, but I saw enough pain and fear to last me a lifetime, and I only caught the tail end.

Edited by ReturnOfTheMack

• Paid Members

What I'm finding difficult to understand about the Northern Ireland situation is that NI overwhelmingly voted "Remain", both Republican and Unionist, and yet the DUP are the majority party, despite being massively pro-Leave. Is there any Unionist party in Norn Iron that's also pro-EU?

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

What I'm finding difficult to understand about the Northern Ireland situation is that NI overwhelmingly voted "Remain", both Republican and Unionist, and yet the DUP are the majority party, despite being massively pro-Leave. Is there any Unionist party in Norn Iron that's also pro-EU?

UUP campaigned for Remain but after the referendum switched to a "must respect the result" position.

Bear in mind the DUP only got 36% of the NI vote in the general election. That got them 10 out of 18 seats because First Past The Post really really doesn't work in Northern Ireland because it's so geographically partisan. You've got at minimum eight and usually 10 seats that are dominated by unionist voters, so if one unionist party is notably stronger than the others (as became the case this time), they are pretty much nailed on to win at least half the Northern Ireland seats.

Let's say TM had won the 2017 GE with a slightly increased majority of 50 seats. Would she still be having the same trouble getting her deal through parliament? Presumably there would still need to be some solution to the NI border, whether she's beholden to the DUP or not?

Brexit isn't the number one worry for voters in NI, it's the lack of a government there.  That's a much bigger issue.

So... 1 year extension to Brexit and in the meanwhile a general election or 2nd vote.

• Paid Members
Just now, WyattSheepMask said:

So have we gone full People’s Front of Judea now, and just stuck in an endless cycle of meetings & votes yielding no results whatsoever?

Well the alternative is to go Judean Peoples Front so really what’s the better option?