Top Wrestling Twitter

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

You're defending the indefensible. He didn't just lash out, he wasn't under threat and he wasn't under pressure. It was a tirade in what he thought was a private situation. He even addressed his racism just to show he was fully aware of what he'd said.

Also, it wasn't remotely "dumb racist things". The language wasn't the problem at all. He could have said what he said without the N-bomb and his opinion that a black man isn't good enough for his daughter is still deeply racist. 

That's the crux of it. Sure he's worked with performers of all races and even been friendly and helpful to them. I'm sure none of them think he is racist. But his true colours came out when it came to his daughter.

He should never have worked for them again. He wouldn't in any decent industry. Sure, he can earn a living but it shouldn't be for a major company. How many times you seen and heard Ron Atkinson on credible stations the last 15 years? Fuck, even Talksport haven't touched him and they employed Keys and Gray.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Whistling Skull said:

[Defends racist.]

Give over. If when you’re “under pressure” or think you’re in private company and you come out with racist language, then you’re racist. If that’s what your brain conjures up, then you have some deep-set prejudices. You can also be insecure and not a racist.

4 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

You're defending the indefensible. He didn't just lash out, he wasn't under threat and he wasn't under pressure. It was a tirade in what he thought was a private situation. He even addressed his racism just to show he was fully aware of what he'd said.

Also, it wasn't remotely "dumb racist things". The language wasn't the problem at all. He could have said what he said without the N-bomb and his opinion that a black man isn't good enough for his daughter is still deeply racist. 

That's the crux of it. Sure he's worked with performers of all races and even been friendly and helpful to them. I'm sure none of them think he is racist. But his true colours came out when it came to his daughter.

He should never have worked for them again. He wouldn't in any decent industry. Sure, he can earn a living but it shouldn't be for a major company. How many times you seen and heard Ron Atkinson on credible stations the last 15 years? Fuck, even Talksport haven't touched him and they employed Keys and Gray.

I understand where you're coming from, but life experiences make that i disagree. 

I was not familiar with Ron Atkinson, because i'm not British. I looked him up, though. Jesus. Yeah, that is a foul racist man, being foul and racist. Remunded me of Einstein in that recording of his trip to China. No respect for anyone or anything.

7 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

Give over. If when you’re “under pressure” or think you’re in private company and you come out with racist language, then you’re racist. If that’s what your brain conjures up, then you have some deep-set prejudices. You can also be insecure and not a racist.

It's not always that simple, in my experience. 

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

This needs it's own thread ( @Chest Rockwell ). Every one of them has me howling. 😆

The one where Goldberg punches him and he takes a ridiculous fall through a table is my all time favourite. Lands squarely on his collarbone but sells his back like a hero hahahaha.

21 minutes ago, Divorced Dad said:

@Whistling Skull how, in your opinion, are Ron Atkinsons comments any different from Hogan's?

You've described one as a foul racist and the other as a man at a low point. 

It's because i know Hulk Hogan to carry himself as a person that judges people on their strenght of character.

The fact that the remarks in question were made when he was routinely hanging out with Bubba, who is a fucking cretin, helps put it into perspective for me. 

Ron Atkinson i don't know, other than the remarks pointed out to me. Was he generally known to be a good, respectful man?

Edited by Whistling Skull

4 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

It is, though. If someone’s first thoughts are racist, then they have some deep-set prejudice there.

What do you mean by 'first thoughts'?The first thoughts of a desperatly unhappy man will be less than sane, more often than not.

Humans are complicated creatures. Hulk said a stupid racist thing, that was very out of character for him, in my view. He has recognized this and apologized profusely. As long as it doesn't happen again, i can understand how this all came to be and forgive him.

The thing I never understood when Hogan was in WWE's bad books was why anyone was arsed about him coming back

I can certainly understand people who didn't want him to come back but he wasn't going to wrestle or be part of a big angle so why did anyone fuss about him not being 'allowed' back? 

Plus from WWE's point of view he's not going to draw any money and all of his fans can watch his glory days on the network so why would the company even want to use him? 

• Paid Members

Someone doesn't need to be Donald Trump in order to be racist. The bar should be a lot lower than active hate crimes.

Also worth remembering that 'apologising to his colleagues' involved Hogan giving a speech about the dangers of being recorded, rather than apologising for the whole 'Hey, black guys, you're not good enough to date my daughter' bit.

18 minutes ago, Whistling Skull said:

What do you mean by 'first thoughts'?The first thoughts of a desperatly unhappy man will be less than sane, more often than not.

Humans are complicated creatures. Hulk said a stupid racist thing, that was very out of character for him, in my view. He has recognized this and apologized profusely. As long as it doesn't happen again, i can understand how this all came to be and forgive him.

Sorry but you are talking absolute shite. How would you know what is out of character for Hogan? Are you mates with him? 

Hogan is a carny and a racist. You have only ever seen what he allows you to see when the camera is on. 

So give over with your bollocks. 

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Whistling Skull said:

Ron Atkinson i don't know, other than the remarks pointed out to me. Was he generally known to be a good, respectful man?

Ron Atkinson was instrumental in guiding the careers of lots of young black players at a time when racism was rife in English football and is hugely influential in changing, literally, the face of football in the country. And what he said is still abhorrent and rightly ended his broadcasting career.

7 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Also worth remembering that 'apologising to his colleagues' involved Hogan giving a speech about the dangers of being recorded, rather than apologising for the whole 'Hey, black guys, you're not good enough to date my daughter' bit.

Yep, that was definitely a major issue.

Glee star Lea Michele recently made that mistake too. Got called up on trying to support black rights when she treated some co-stars like trash. Then she 'apologised' for her 'perceived' actions. It's just passing the buck and blaming others for taking things the wrong way. Or suggesting the situation was the problem, rather than the inherently racist comments. It's the Dominic Cummings school of apologising without actually apologising whatsoever - although his press conference was a lot worse in that respect.