Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Don't try and jazz up Pitsea son. There is still a F&C in Basildon though. However, I'll second the Golden Fish. No idea what it is like now days but It was great as a kid.

Good god its a small world 🙂 No amount of hyperbole could ever make Pitsea seem glamorous. 

Kens Fish Bar the other side of Green Lane was big time too, though I'm told that no longer exists. 

• 1 month later...

My regular chippy made the Fry Magazine top 50 this week and I’ve now had to wait in line to get in for 20 minutes for the first time ever. This is fucking unacceptable. They should have an express line for their ride or die customers. 

On 2/21/2021 at 10:45 AM, MungoChutney said:

They are in Glasgow. Hamburger supper a staple of every menu. Place near me does a cheeseburger supper, which has the cheese inside the burger itself. 

When I first moved to Glasgow about 15 years ago I stayed with my now wifes grandparents and every Friday I'd get sent a short walk down the road to pick up the chippy tea.

The first week I'd became aware of several words and things that as a southerner I'd never heard or seen before..."greetin" (crying), "messages" (shopping), £1 notes still being in circulation, the sliding scale of someone being a cunt from "he's a top cunt" (great guy) to "he's a worst cunt" (bell end), they sold 750ml glass bottles of juice (fizzy) in shops and if you took the bottle back they gave you 20p. It was certainly different to growing up in Cov.

So I get sent down to the chippy and her gran has told me she wants a "single hamburger". I see the girl in the chipp grab what to me looks like a scallop (called a fritter here) and not realising that in Scotland a single hamburger meant a battered beef burger I say...no, sorry...a hamburger and ask for a beef burger in a bun to their bemusement.

I can still see the look of absolute disgust on her grans face when I got back up the road.

The following week her order was quarter pizza...not only had I never before seen a pizza deep fat fried but when they asked me if I wanted batter on it I thought they were taking the piss after my hamburger debacle.

When I got back I told them about it and how I thought they must have been taking the piss but it was then explained to me that they weren't and this was a "pizza crunch". (Highly reccomended).

For those unfamiliar with Scotland a fish supper comes with 2 gigantic pieces of fish and a sausage supper comed with 2 battered sausages which are just called sausages.

Infact if you ask for a "single sausage", you'll be given two battered sausages.

I've never seen non battered sausages or a saveloy in any chip shop in the 15 years Ive been here.

Until you've experienced a chippy tea with an ice cold glass bottle of Irn Bru you've never really experienced perfection.

Edited by Jonny Vegas

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

So I just discovered via a freak Google search out of boredom (old news that it is) that a sausage wrapped in donner meat then battered is a real thing that exists.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/best-in-edinburgh/restaurants-bars/would-you-try-deep-fried-15465038.amp

Opinions? Genius or disgusting?