Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, FLips said:

Not gonna lie Jazzy that sounds utterly rank.

I'm not a fan of fish anyway, but adding all manner of herbs and spices to it? No thanks.

56 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Peri peri haddock?

Dave Bautista No GIF by WWE

Agreed. 

30 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

WHY DID YOU TAKE A PICTURE OF THE BAG AND NOT THE FOOD!!!???

Fuck sake. 

Yeah rookie mistake. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Gus Mears said:

Peri peri haddock?

It's been tried a couple of times in Leicester. A spice rub goes on the fish before batter is applied. The chippy owners find it a bit of a faff as it will require a separate fryer. Unless they want the flavour across ALL their fried products. The spiced battered fish is very tasty!

• Paid Members

I've had masala fish where the batter is Indian spiced and loved it. I like haddock, I'd give piri piri haddock a whirl.

On 6/1/2024 at 9:26 AM, Merzbow said:

Any Black Country lot have a recommendation for Orange Chips? I hear Majors has gone downhill since the move.

Depending where in the Black Country you're coming from, head to Kings in Kingswinford (unless that's too close to Staffs/far away for you). Park on the Co-Op Car Park (free for the first 2 hours), walk through the gully to Market Street and look left.

2023-05 Kings 4.jpeg

• Paid Members

Seafarers in Lytham St Anne’s.  Nice crisp batter, big juicy flakes of haddock and the chips were excellent too.  Side of curry and a scallop not photoed as eating on my knee in the car on the front. Curry sauce was one of the nicest I’ve eaten, and the scallop was lovely.  Only problem was the woman serving.  Absolute cunt.  Rude, snappy, just awful, her colleague looked embarrassed by her.  If I hadn’t been so hungry would have told her to stick it up her arsehole.

IMG_3777.jpeg

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

You’ve done us all proud.

IMG_5697.jpeg.bcabb6a18e474de8e379a67700846f52.jpeg

Stupid day to have it. Chippy teas deserve there place in the sun and it was never going to compete with the 80th anniversary of D-Day. Not even any local news coverage around here. 

On 6/1/2024 at 9:26 AM, Merzbow said:

Any Black Country lot have a recommendation for Orange Chips? I hear Majors has gone downhill since the move.

The Black Country museum ones are pretty tasty! They cook them in beef dripping I think?

suprised how many folks on here are from/in the Black Country by the sounds of it!

• Moderators

First ever attempt at homemade chippy tea. I was just going to order it in but my son asked if we could make it ourselves so I couldn't really say no to that. 

Gotta say I did a pretty damn good job! There's definitely some room for improvement but I was very pleased with how it all turned out. 

PXL_20240608_173453485.jpg

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

First ever attempt at homemade chippy tea. I was just going to order it in but my son asked if we could make it ourselves so I couldn't really say no to that. 

Gotta say I did a pretty damn good job! There's definitely some room for improvement but I was very pleased with how it all turned out. 

PXL_20240608_173453485.jpg

No homemade curry sauce or mushy peas? For shame. 

I joke, but that looks incredible. Excellent work Chest.

• Paid Members

Only feels like yesterday you were posting about your lad being born and here he is all grown up having chippy teas. 

Can’t wait for a few years from now when he signs up to here and we all accuse him of being Ralphy.

I don’t think it’s possible to recreate chippy chips at home but those chips look pretty close! My Nan was an elite level fat bastard cook and could do battered fish that was chippy level but her chips, best home cooked chips around, were never close to chippy chips.

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I don’t think it’s possible to recreate chippy chips at home but those chips look pretty close! My Nan was an elite level fat bastard cook and could do battered fish that was chippy level but her chips, best home cooked chips around, were never close to chippy chips.

Yeah, the chips were great because they were fresh out the oil and super crispy but they weren't chippy chips. Think you just have to accept them for what they are or you'll always be disappointed!

34 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

That batter looks immense on that fish @Chest Rockwell, how did you cook it?

Poured a bottle of vegetable oil in a midsize pot (that turned out to only juuuust be able to fit the fish in lengthwise), and then used my meat probe to keep an eye on the temperature of the oil, adjusting the gas up and down as I went. It felt very amateur, I'm amazed at how well it turned out!