Post An Unpopular Opinion

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Fuck Spotify. What a big piece of shit it is.

Explain? 

Not being a cockend, I'm genuinely curious about this opinion. For example, I agree that Spotify is shite in regards to how much you are allowed to download; only 10,000 songs spread across three devices (so you're only allowed 3,333 songs on each device). I'm paying a tenner a month and they're limiting me to how much I can use it. I have four main playlists I keep up to date, all of which exceed well over 1000 songs, that I used to keep on my phone. Fuck, even before that, my Ipod had over 8000 songs at one point.

So yeah, in regards to download policy, Spotify is a big piece of shit. Everything else about it though, as a lover of discovering new music, is fantastic.

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Explain? 

Not being a cockend, I'm genuinely curious about this opinion. For example, I agree that Spotify is shite in regards to how much you are allowed to download; only 10,000 songs spread across three devices (so you're only allowed 3,333 songs on each device). I'm paying a tenner a month and they're limiting me to how much I can use it. I have four main playlists I keep up to date, all of which exceed well over 1000 songs, that I used to keep on my phone. Fuck, even before that, my Ipod had over 8000 songs at one point.

So yeah, in regards to download policy, Spotify is a big piece of shit. Everything else about it though, as a lover of discovering new music, is fantastic.

I don't want to pay to rent music. I like to keep music. Free spotify as a substitute to radio makes sense, but I don't listen to the radio and try to avoid adverts where possible. Albums get taken down, artists get fuck all money, songs can get pulled for sample clearance issue, etc. Paying for a subscription service for something that should be permanent is just a terrible fit.

Netflix, fine - it's like a video shop. Adobe subscription - bullshit.

Every time I've caved and tried spotify out a bit they invariably don't have half of what I'm looking for anyway. Also, I don't like listening to individual songs and playlists, I like albums.

• Paid Members

The term "liberal/metropolitan elite" being used as an insult about how out of touch people who live in multicultural, multilayered 21st-century cities are isn't actually an insult. In fact, generally, if you're *not* a city-dweller, you're more likely than not a fucking idiot.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, gmoney said:

The Terminator is a far better film than Terminator 2.  

Is that unpopular? I wholeheartedly agree with you, but it always struck be as something probably a third to half of people would agree with and the others likely wouldn't be offended about. I've always loved the clunkiness of the first Terminator, it has a certain rawness which I prefer to the magnificent and slick effects of the second. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I don't want to pay to rent music. I like to keep music. Free spotify as a substitute to radio makes sense, but I don't listen to the radio and try to avoid adverts where possible. Albums get taken down, artists get fuck all money, songs can get pulled for sample clearance issue, etc. Paying for a subscription service for something that should be permanent is just a terrible fit.

Netflix, fine - it's like a video shop. Adobe subscription - bullshit.

Every time I've caved and tried spotify out a bit they invariably don't have half of what I'm looking for anyway. Also, I don't like listening to individual songs and playlists, I like albums.

These are all very fair points and I've experienced most, if not all, of the examples. I am very anti-radio (will not stand for listening to adverts, shit DJ patter and the same rota of 50 songs) and have had albums I love get taken down and songs just removed for no reason. A nice quirk with Spotify though is the ability upload your own songs via the desktop version, and as long as you add them to a playlist, you can listen to them on the app. Same goes for anything they don't have really. I love albums but when I'm on the go or working out or pottering aound the gaff or having family/friends round, playlists are my go-to.

As a tool for discovering new (and old) music, it's second to none. Just an absolute powerhouse. My musical tastes have developed ten-fold since subbing way back in 2014. There are genres I would not have touched with a barge pole back then that I'm now really into.

But yeah, there are a lot of negatives with the service. I would love to own all the music I find on there but I'm nowhere near (and will never be) financially conformable enough to do so, therefore it's the next best thing for me, despite it's drawbacks.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Big Fish as well, beautiful film.

Nope that's at best insipid and mediocre. I'll give you it's better than a lot of his rubbish.