The Celebrity Sexual Harassment and Rapists Thread

Devon Malcolm

22 minutes ago, Hugh Thesz said:

Any chance you will retract your allegation now?

Absolutely. Speculation does noone any good. Apologies to Mr Nolan and anyone offended by my repetition of other social media rumours that have proven to be unfounded

33 minutes ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

Absolutely. Speculation does noone any good. Apologies to Mr Nolan and anyone offended by my repetition of other social media rumours that have proven to be unfounded

Thanks

This wasn't a dig at you but a general point.

Take care 

58 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Hugh>Huw.

The only worst thing you could add would be Cuthbert, Dibble and Grub.

Because 

ITS FUCKING HUW, PEW.

Anyhow I consider myself to be a mild to moderate pervert; not one who spunks thirty five grand away on Grumble.

• Paid Members

Even Spanish speaking media have picked up on it with this article from BBC Mundo about who Huw Edwards is, and explaining his role in the scandal. 

Screenshot_20230713-011139.png

12 hours ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

Interesting to be honest. If Murdoch and Co want to bring someone down, they will, even if there's no truth in the matter or if it's flimsy evidence at best 

I mean, they probably don’t give a shit about bringing Huw Edwards down. The Sun and Murdoch’s media empire are ideologically opposed to the BBC, and likely amplified this as it may have been a foundation on which they could have a real go at bringing down the BBC. With a subservient government in place, had this been more than it appears, who knows what they’d have managed to achieve in that respect.

It seems likely now that this was a flimsy story, based around weak evidence - run, in all probability to weaken an organisation as opposed to an individual. But I suspect they’ve stopped pushing as they realise that rather than create an existential crisis for the BBC, they’ve almost created one for themselves - or, at the very least, tabloid culture in the UK.

While this is not directly comparable for a number of very obvious reasons, I feel it’s also well worth mentioning the tragic suicide of Lucy Meadows, to highlight how overdue some form of accountability is - and why tabloid behaviour should be taken to task.

• Paid Members

in some ways I think what The Sun wanted was for this to drag on as long as possible without the BBC naming anyone. Them not naming anyone passed the buck to the BBC to actually report on it responsibly, they must have known their case was too flimsy to stand up, so there was unlikely to be any criminal charges and the possibility that Edwards might have never formally been named.

I'm convinced that's what Murdoch wanted - without saying it, invoke the ghost of Savile and make the Sun's readership think that the BBC is full of deviants that the corporation is protecting and allowing to prey on vulnerable people. Coming so soon after Schofield as well, even though he doesn't work for the BBC, it would still be enough to make your average man on the street think "they're all at it" if the reporting goes hard enough. Add in the most gullible and/or soulless of Tories jumping on the story, and it's easy to see how it's much more an attack on the BBC than on Huw Edwards who, as far as I can tell, is guilty of little more than having a complicated and potentially problematic private life. Obviously if there were underage kids involved, that's a different story, but given that lawyers representing the only person alleged to have been underage in this whole story has rubbished the whole thing, I don't think that's very likely. 

But then, if anybody should know about paying underage girls for explicit photos, it's The Sun.

At the end of the day, any reporting on the BBC by The Sun has to be read with the understanding that Murdoch's lasting ambition is to see the BBC broken apart, defunded and privatised at the bare minimum. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

At the end of the day, any reporting on the BBC by The Sun has to be read with the understanding that Murdoch's lasting ambition is to see the BBC broken apart, defunded and privatised at the bare minimum. 

Ideally with a certain UK-based News network getting a piece of that pie, you would imagine. Public Service Broadcasting (not the band, although I doubt he's a fan of them either) seems like the sort of thing that would keep Murdoch awake at night. 

21 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

I remember somebody here had direct knowledge of an extramarital affair Vine had. So you'd think he'd keep his head below the parapet when it comes to dishing the dirt on presenters.

Me, and yes he’s a fucking hypocrite.

• Paid Members
On 7/13/2023 at 2:04 PM, DavidB6937 said:

And at the other end of the likeability scale, perhaps the start of the downfall of one man many people have been gunning for. The thread is worth a read.

I wonder how GBeebies will react to this as well.