The Celebrity Sexual Harassment and Rapists Thread

Devon Malcolm

3 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Does this include the one where he allegedly had his way with 14 year old Anthony Rapp at that holiwood party? I won't dash off to watch American Beauty just yet. 

Spacey was found not liable of that one last year in a civil case.

Today I learned Anthony Rapp is Tony in Dazed & Confused!

I feel like the Family Guy scene with Stewie running through the shopping mall naked shouting "help me I've just escaped Kevin Spacey's basement" or similar far pre dates these allegations?

I wonder whether regardless of the result of this trial it's one of those "open secrets" and has been for years.

Edited by Jonny Vegas

1 hour ago, David said:

Makes you wonder why they even bother with legal proceedings, doesn't it? The great Twitter jury has spoken! Off with his head!

You know a not guilty verdict doesn’t mean it never happened just as well as an accusation doesn’t mean that it did. However if I was to bet  what was more likely, a bunch of guys lying about being assaulted by the same person or a millionaire getting a case thrown out I know where I’d hedge my bets.

2 hours ago, David said:

Makes you wonder why they even bother with legal proceedings, doesn't it? The great Twitter jury has spoken! Off with his head!

So because he was deemed innocent, that means he is? OJ was deemed "innocent" too you know.

11 hours ago, TheScarlettChad said:

So because he was deemed innocent, that means he is? OJ was deemed "innocent" too you know.

True but you're now essentially saying that anyone found innocent of anything is guilty.

The OJ case shouldn't really be the go to for everything

23 minutes ago, Factotum said:

True but you're now essentially saying that anyone found innocent of anything is guilty.

The OJ case shouldn't really be the go to for everything

Probably was a shit example, but Spacey has plenty of accusers. This really doesn't prove he's innocent. 

• Paid Members

the point is that "innocent until proven guilty" is for the courts, it doesn't mean that you or I can't have our own opinions on events regardless of the findings of a courtroom.

It seems like a better decision for the Spacey case would be something like the Scottish verdict of "not proven"; he's not been found not guilty because he's innocent of the crimes he's accused of, but because there's insufficient evidence for the very specific instances he was on trial for. That is often the case when it comes to matters of sexual assault, particularly those took place years ago - it becomes a game of "he said/he said", with the defence seizing on natural and understandable lapses of memory as signs of a dishonest story. 

There's a ton of stories in the right circles about Spacey being a sexual predator, and being found not guilty of a few specific instances doesn't invalidate decades of consistent patterns of behaviour. It just means he's not going to prison for these ones. I still get to think he's not someone I'd want to leave a friend alone in a room with, whatever the court decides.