That Star Trek thread somebody was talking about

Jazzy G

• Paid Members

It doesn't feel as much like a Star Trek show as The Orville, but it's good start to the series. The titles remind me of Discovery's. I guess it's the new Star Trek titles design now. Be interesting to see where it goes. 

Arguably it wouldn't exist if it felt like a Star Trek show because I highly doubt Stewart would've returned to the character. He was very adamant that he was happy to leave that behind. But you can see why he was tempted back. It's nice to see a different angle on the character without completely ruining who he is.

It's immediately more interesting than anything in the first two series of Discovery, and more faithful to the whole Star Trek concept.  

Clearly, this series is going to to tackle one of TNG's most interesting recurring ideas, that of artificial life, the right to exist, and what defines humanity.  Those are the sort of profound questions that Star Trek has always tackled when it's at its best - using the medium to explore a philosophical question and test it.  Discovery had none of that spirit, it was all space battles and confusing time travel/interdimensional nonsense.

Thumbs up from me, and it is fantastic to have such a great character back on telly.  Picard is one of the great role model, father figures of US tv - strong, moralistic but compassionate, intelligent and questioning.  Makes a change from the current fad for anti-heroes and cool heels.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Loki said:

Picard is one of the great role model, father figures of US tv - strong, moralistic but compassionate, intelligent and questioning.

How long before people starting bitching about "those damned SJWs have ruined Star Trek"? Again. 

• Paid Members

I've barely seen any TNG, and I (mostly) enjoyed the first episode, if anyone's on the fence.

It felt like an interesting sci-fi story more than it felt like Star Trek to me - and that's good and bad. On one hand, from the moment it was announced, I didn't want it to be about Picard going off on intergalactic adventures, I wanted a quiet character study of the character in his dotage, coming to terms with his legacy, and just letting Patrick Stewart get some acting in, and it feels like it's (hopefully) going to be just that.

The parts where it could have felt more Trek-y...Roddenbury always worked to try and envision what things would look like in the future, in terms of architecture, clothing, technology and so on. All the Starfleet uniforms have always reflected this, yet apparently back on Earth in the year 2399 everyone's wearing American Apparel fleeces and polo shirts, and the closest thing to sci-fi clothing is that Picard wears that tie knot from The Matrix.
Similarly, in his interview, the historical frames of reference being the Pyramids and Dunkirk annoyed me. 400 years in the future, centuries of space travel, intergalactic war, quantum leaps in technological innovation, yet apparently the cultural/historical touchstones closest to hand would be centuries old, and conveniently understandable by an early 21st century audience. The Dunkirk one in particular felt like the show not having the confidence in its own narrative or audience, that it had to hammer home a real world analogy in case you missed the point.

Mostly enjoyed it, but there's some very clunky dialogue (that would have been worse if it wasn't all delivered so bloody earnestly, that almost makes up for it), and some of the most obvious foreshadowing I've ever seen.

Felt a bit tropey this week. The whole "it's not the secret service... Its the really secret service" thing was lame. The hipster Romulan with the English accent, supposedly some kind of fanny magnet, has no presence at all and even though I'm (not gay), he really doesn't seem attractive. He just shows up out of nowhere looking gormless and acting like a lost poet and apparently Mrs Android's warning signs fail to go off and she beds him immediately. Get out. 

Oh, so the Romulans have always hated AI/synthetic life, eh? Hmmmmmm.

Argument with the admiral was too obvious and trite. Said admiral then spilling the beans to the evil undercover admiral was done too quickly and was too obvious. I know they have to hurry things along a bit, but it simeltaneously felt slow and rushed this week. 

• Paid Members

Didn't like the swearing. Find it odd that Picard's Romulan housekeeper has an Irish accent. It looks like it could get interesting, but also looks like it could fall into the Discovery trap of looking like it's going to get interesting, then everything happens in the space of about 20 miutes during the final epsode in a tangled mess of them not having enough time to tie up too many loose ends bcause they've spent so much time trying to set everything up..

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Awards Moderator

Finally caught up with both episodes this afternoon. What a fucking disaster. 

Miserable, pointless, illogical, sub-JJ shite full of memberberries, complete disregard for the universe and the worst acting I've seen all century. 

Hey! 'member Romulans? WELL NOW THEY LIVE IN A BORG CUBE! How cool is that? And 'member Picard Day? The thing Jean-Luc hated? Well we kept that too! And 'member Daystrom? Well don't worry because we've made it pointless but kept a moon faced pool to staff it (all the Deschanels must be busy). And the Federation is all nice and peaceful but fucking hate Romulans, the only reason is because we want it to feel relevant and like well Trump meta yeah? Oh and everyone senior is a rude cunt too. 

Quick there are baddies coming that I can sense because midichlorians. 80 year old man, run upstairs to the exposed roof with me! I need to show off my kung fu, no there's no time to alert security in one of the most important buildings in Starfleet. I need to kick things! 

Stunt Nicholas Hoult featured some of the worst acting I've ever seen on camera, emoting out of the frame to indicate how bloody tortured he is, the Shoreditch shitehawk. And then the female Romulan turned up to try and out bad act him. That final scene had me throwing things at the TV. 

Why is everything so templated now so every show feels the same? Those credits were probably left over from some other cancelled show. 

I didn't like it. I'm going to watch this on loop instead. 

http://picard.ytmnd.com