That Star Trek thread somebody was talking about

Jazzy G

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

It feels a lot more Star Trek this series.

I thought that with the second episode, good old fashioned away team mission with a conundrum to solve.

On the issue of "what Trek should be" what was the initial reaction to DS9 as I'm rewatching for the first time since it aired and it's so different to any of the other series'.

Also this season of Discovery has been brilliant so far, they've really managed the balance of big high budget action and "Trekness".

16 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

On the issue of "what Trek should be" what was the initial reaction to DS9 as I'm rewatching for the first time since it aired and it's so different to any of the other series'.

Also this season of Discovery has been brilliant so far, they've really managed the balance of big high budget action and "Trekness".

There's a bit of a conspiracy theory regarding early DS9. J. Michael Straczynski had shopped Babylon 5 around for several years before WB picked it up. Paramount had access to his season 1 Bible and character backgrounds but passed on it (around 1988-89 time I think). Then when Paramount got wind of WB making a space opera set on a station, they decided to make a new Star Trek series set on a station. JMS has strongly hinted in the past that early DS9 "borrowed" from his ideas (a shapeshifter/changeling character was the specific one I remember reading about), which he then had to write out or rework. 

It's pretty plain really, considering how different early DS9 is compared to other Trek franchises. As it evolves, it converges more towards the norm. Still the best franchise, for me. Voyager died on its arse towards the end whereas DS9 really crescendoed. 

Wait, people LIKE Tilly?  She's like the Jar Jar Binks of the series, awkward and unwanted comedy sidekick.  They keep saying she has leadership qualities - Picard would NOT approve.

Ep 2 of this series was the most Trek so far, so I will stick with it.  But there's just none of the dynamic between the crew that all the old series have.  I couldn't name any of the crew outside the main 3 or 4.  

I'm also really confused about the Spore Drive.  It's a continuity destroying piece of technology so when they said they weren't going to use it again I thought "Well, unsubtle but at least they've addressed the problem".  Now this season they're zipping about across the galaxy again.  Why make a prequel series if you're just going to give them tech that destroys all the subsequent series?  Why didn't they just set this all after Voyager?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Loki said:

Why make a prequel series if you're just going to give them tech that destroys all the subsequent series?

There's all manner of gadgets in S1 that piss all over anything that Picard's lot had access to. I chalked it up to "a wizard Q did it."

• Paid Members

I think they've put the 'spore drive destroys the universe' bit into play and they'll pull the trigger later on. Likely when they need to make a very necessary jump and then can't. Either way, Im enjoying it.

It does irk me that they continue to make prequels though. Continue the damn story! The Picard thing will be good but even that is 20 years after everything else...

• Paid Members

They've started making inroads towards putting the holograms and such on the back burner as well so far. 

Sisko is a great captain, but the real star of DS9 was Miles Edward O'Brien. The true everyman of Star Trek.

• Paid Members

Yeah fuck The Orville. (I've never seen The Orville).

I've been flitting through episodes of DS9. Garak was badass. On a rewatch, Julian is even more annoying than usual, even when he reveals the cool super genes. Eugh. Ezri. Woof. That was a real jump the shark moment. 

2 hours ago, marc2j said:

Yeah fuck The Orville. (I've never seen The Orville).

I've been flitting through episodes of DS9. Garak was badass. On a rewatch, Julian is even more annoying than usual, even when he reveals the cool super genes. Eugh. Ezri. Woof. That was a real jump the shark moment. 

Julian's super genes is the principal tamzarian moment the series and character really didn't need