That Star Trek thread somebody was talking about

Jazzy G

• Paid Members

Likewise - very much looking forward to this. DS9's my favourite series out of the lot.

To drag it back to Discovery, I finally caught up and I have to say it's been brill. I agree with the criticism that they could've spent a bit more time on the rest of the crew, especially as Burnham gets more than enough, and Tilly and Pike have had plenty (I'm sorry, I don't find Tilly endearing - she's not hugely annoying, but the over-sharing, nervous-but-spunky youngster trope is pretty over-used). They managed to pull it together with Airiam, but only just; it felt like a "oops, we just realised we haven't told you anything about this character yet HERE'S WHY IT'S IMPORTANT". I'm hoping they learn their lesson and we get a bit more from Detmer, Owo, Dr. Culber, and, in an odd way, Kling Fandango - we didn't really get anything about him prior to his "fusion".

One thing I'm also not a fan of is the subtle, pernicious narrative they're putting across of Section 31 - the whole justification of "well, we do nasty things so that you happy sheep can sleep peacefully". Never liked it, Admiral Cornwell came across as an patronising, paternalistic dick when she said it, and it jars with DS9's narrative of sheer dismay that, in that era, in the kind of organisation the Federation is, a unit like 31 is allowed to continue.

But the rest of it's been ace. The actor playing Spock is doing really well, now that he's got lines to speak. He definitely puts across that serene Nimoy vibe. Also loving the gradual defrosting between Spock and Burnham, and the weird, dualistic interplay where they're really like brother and sister in their flitting between logic and emotion.

Also liking the story of Stamets and Culber. Can't help but feel really sad for them both, and Anthony Rapp in particular is doing a great job of tugging at the ol' heartstrings.

• Paid Members

This week's episode just felt so predictable at times. I know sometimes you need things like that. The stuff with Pike in the Monastry was really interesting, but all the way through the Burnham/Spock thing I was just saying "don't do that, that's a trap. That's not what you think it is." It was all played really well, but they almost looked like Sting levels of stupid for not even thinking "hang on, this is all a bit convenient." 

I also agree that it's a bit too Burnham. It's Star Trek Discovery, not Star Trek Michael Burnham. 

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of stupid, this week's episode! Worst one since the first half of the pilot. They had somewhat carefully worked around some plot holes up to now but this week it just went buckaroo. "Let's self destruct the ship." "Ok." "Didn't work." "Dang!" 

When they weren't being flat-out stupid, it was endless "final letters to loved ones", over emotional goodbyes, terrible speeches, and Huw and Stamets having a re-run of every fucking conversation they've had since the resurrection because everybody needs to get their shit in. 

It's interesting that almost nothing of note happened in this episode, yet it felt like the whole series fell apart. Ive really loved it up to now but I was just on my phone constantly throughout, couldn't concentrate, dull.

Next one should be a banger, at least!

• Paid Members

Well, that's series 2 out of the way.

I see they got it from the Stephen Moffatt Doctor Who series finale playbook.

I have a numbing feeling of inevitability about what series 3 has in store, although it could go in a completely different direction entirely. 

I'd love more Captain Pike, because there are some really interesting things that can be done with his character given what happened in this series of Discovery and he was probably one of the best things about this series.. A pre TOS mini series about Pike on the Enterprise could be fun and shouldn't have to mess with continuity, or something involving him and some cadets. Just his inexorable path towards what he and the viewers know is coming, Knowing he's going to survive  everything may not create dramatic tension in that regard, but it'd be how he can use his knowledge to help those he  and his crew/class encounter on their travels. A few episodes here and there where he realises that he can't save everybody to keep things from getting boring. There are options.

Like Rogue One. We all kind of knew how it would end, but it was still a good story with lots of tension, and wasn't too clever or in your face with its "Look at us, we're a prequel" fan-service stuff. Darth Vader's cock aside, although I don;t know what fans that was particularly designed to service.

Edited by jazzygeofferz
I didn't mean Discovery's ending was obvious, but that a Pike series could take some examples from Rogue one about how to create tension around something we know the outcome of. Also I hid something away. Spoilers, sweetie.

I find it frustrating that they feel they can't write anything post Voyager. They've got all this fancy tech that they barely bothered retconning in that could have easily have been repackaged as new or advancements. They've really handcuffed themselves by having to work around an existing timeline, and yes, the "let's never speak of this again" ending kind of works given the context, but why force yourself into it? Are they too worried about new characters not being strong enough that they won't get over without the names "Spock" and "Captain Pike" thrown in the mix? Maybe there's something to that, maybe CBS thinks it'd just turn into Enterprise, but isn't that kind of what's happening anyway? There's clearly enough creative chops between the writers and actors on this show to succeed without the millstone of being a canonically looser-than-the-proverbial prequel that obsessive nerds (eg me) can get cross about. 

Anyway, brilliant final episode after the sack of soggy dicks that was the one before. Series 2 was better overall, I thought, as I didn't find the klingon business very interesting, plus series 1 seemed to peter out quite badly at the end. Also huge man crush on new Spock 😍

• Paid Members

I liked the idea that following the events of First Contact technology had accidentally been advanced further than it should have been by the presence of the Borg in the 22nd Century and everything from Enterprise onwards was taking place in the new timeline. Apparently the reason we got that slow episode last week was because they were supposed to only have 13 episodes, but felt they'd have too much going on in the finale unless they got more time, so were given an extra episode which meant they had to do some padding. I also hear we don't get new Discovery until after they've done the first season of the Picard show.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I see that hot on the heels of how well Discovery managed to do for streaming platforms Amazon have managed to nab the Picard series for Prime video. We're still years away from it, mind. 

9 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I see that hot on the heels of how well Discovery managed to do for streaming platforms Amazon have managed to nab the Picard series for Prime video. We're still years away from it, mind. 

Imdb says 2019. Are they having me on? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Well, I was wrong. It's out in autumn isn't it? I know Amazon have got it on Prime, but apparently there's a UK broadcaster lined up as well, so I don't know whether we'd get it. 

Imdb says Frakes is directing a couple of episodes. I thought his Discovery episodes were excellent. He just gets it.

I just can't believe they're finally doing something set post TNG/DS9/VOY after the never ending prequel boner they've had for almost 20 years. Hope it's not too Abramsy.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Bicurious Dad said:

Amazon Prime is the UK broadcaster, it'll be available within 24 hours of the CBS release in the US. 

Ah, ok. I thought they meant there was an actual channel sticking it on. That's all good then.